The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sigma 30mm f2.8 DN

douglasf13

Yeah, that Sony 50 is relatively large compared to that nice little 45. Granted, the 50 has OSS built in. I like Olympus' newer approach of thinning the lens barrel down a few millimeters past the mount. That looks nice.

Not really sure where a plus/minuses topic should go??

FWIW, here are some more good size comparisons from flickr user foxfoto_archives: LINK

I'm a little surprised that it looks like the Sigma DP1 Merrill isn't much smaller than the NEX-7 with essentially the same Sigma lens on it. That pic shows the kit zoom on the NEX-7, which is a solid 15-20mm longer than the Sigma 19.

mazor

Wow, wonder why the OM-D has a hump, its not like there is a need for a prism for an OVF.

On saying that, the 5n EVF can articulate upwards and be a vertical finder. The OM-D cannot. My personal favorite position for the EVF is about 45 degrees up.

I am for a thread for the plus and minus for 5n. I dare say there will be more plus than minus ;)

alphaman

I've just got my 30mm and to be honest I'm not too impressed.

The focus seems to fail to lock on quite often, even in good light. The focus "box" doesn't glow green on subjects that I would normally expect it to focus on easily, I end up pressing the shutter release repeatedly without result and thus missing the shot.

However if I turn the camera off and on again or take the lens off and remount it, it suddenly works ... !

This doesn't happen with my Sony lenses.

Also it wakes up very slowly either when first turned on or when the camera has gone to sleep.

Have I got a duff sample or is this a common experience?

On the good side - it is a little gem optically (if I can get it to work).

V

Vivek

Just got the lens and I am trying to check its suitability for my use on the NEX-7.

A few words on the lens: Very nice exterior! The focus grip is far better than any of Sony's primes. Quite compact and makes a nice fit. The mount is a little too snug. This might change once used a few times. There is a very noticeable rattle while handling the lens- as if something is shifting back and forth inside. There is some noise while it auto focuses too. Not very objectionable for still, have not checked how that would be while videoing. Given that this is the cheapest E prime thus far and comes with a 3 year warranty from Sigma, no worries at all.
Alphaman, It might get better with use. The fit as I noted in my first post, is a bit too tight in the beginning. I do not find this lens to be slow focus compared to the Sony lenses.

alphaman

I have persisted a little with this lens and it seems to have improved, or perhaps I have just compensated for it a little.

The focusing situation seems to have more or less "righted itself" and how I can get it to focus accurately when I want it to but it is very slightly slower than the Sony lens I have and so I notice it. I had accidentally left the NEX7 (with the Sigma attached) switched on overnight and then it had improved - can't see why, but it had :confused:.

When the lens is (very rarely) unable to focus and locks up I have to focus on something else and then reposition myself to the original subject again and "hey presto" it works. its a funny little feature, perhaps cured with a lens firmware update sometime (if Sigma does such a thing)? :confused:

I don't have the reported "rattle" - which is good - but perhaps that's what's wrong with this lens - it isn't noisy enough!!:ROTFL:

It is a lovely, lovely little lens otherwise, pin sharp and it has a great 3D look to the images and the price is also a great bonus. All in all a keeper despite my doubts earlier. :)

V

Vivek

Nothing rattles when it is attached to the body and the body is powered on. Turn the camera off and give it a gentle shake to feel and hear the rattle.

mazor

Alphaman how slow is the sigma 30mm 2.8 to start up, especially compared to Emount Sony lens.

was considering one of these, appart from AF, is there any real advantage whne I already have the 40mm f1.4 penf?

alphaman

mazor, the difference is: Sony start up = approx 3 seconds and Sigma start up = approx 9 seconds.

In a way it's splitting hairs and in a way it's irritating, however I've learned to live with it.

I wouldn't necessarily let it put you off getting one as optically its a very good lens and unless your shooting style demands very quick responses, I think its more of a minor issue than a major one.

UPDATE: see my next post!

Last edited:

douglasf13

I just tested my Sigma 30 on my Nex-7 several times, and it comes on in 3-4 seconds every time. I even tried removing the lens and taking the battery out, and it was still around 5-6 seconds. I wonder if our lenses are different, or if it's a camera setting difference?

alphaman

I don't know what the matter is with my lens. It certainly isn't working as well as I expected.

I took it out this morning after my most recent post and had it fail to "lock on" to some quite ordinary, well lit subjects that were within the normal focusing distances (ie not within 30 cm) and it would not focus at all. I then tried the switching on and off routine described earlier and this did not fix it. I finally got it to work by repeatedly tapping the shutter release and "hey presto" it worked. This is quite obviously not the way it should be!

My Sony lenses work as they should, so the camera is not the problem (nor the settings either, imo).

As to the start up time, 9 seconds is almost twice the time yours takes so I think this is a duff lens and so I'm sending it back for a refund or replacement. It may be cheap but it still has to work, grrr!

V

Vivek

Here, in the EU, Sigma has a 3 year warranty. So, it should be no problem to get a replacement/fix/refund.

alphaman

Here we also have a 3 year warranty. I have just spoken to the supplier and arranged a refund as they can't supply a new one to replace it (no stock!). I think I'm going to try to get the Zeiss 24mm instead.

mazor

I don't know what the matter is with my lens. It certainly isn't working as well as I expected.

I took it out this morning after my most recent post and had it fail to "lock on" to some quite ordinary, well lit subjects that were within the normal focusing distances (ie not within 30 cm) and it would not focus at all. I then tried the switching on and off routine described earlier and this did not fix it. I finally got it to work by repeatedly tapping the shutter release and "hey presto" it worked. This is quite obviously not the way it should be!

My Sony lenses work as they should, so the camera is not the problem (nor the settings either, imo).

As to the start up time, 9 seconds is almost twice the time yours takes so I think this is a duff lens and so I'm sending it back for a refund or replacement. It may be cheap but it still has to work, grrr!

think you must have a faulty lens. I think by the time you power on your camera and finally get it to focus, you could have easily manual focused using legacy lens lol. With in ability to af, you may as well of gotten a fast legacy prime.

Alphaman, which nex are you mating the sigma 30mm to?

alphaman

mazor - you're right! Both that the lens is probably faulty and that I can use my Contax G 35/2 with more ease!

I'm using a NEX7 (in answer to your question).

alphaman

UPDATE: I'm going to give Sigma the benefit of the doubt and try another, this time the 19mm. I've just ordered one to try out, should get it on Monday. If is is just as bad then I'll have to wait for the 24mm Zeiss when they finally become available more widely. If pleasantly surprised, I'll try another 30mm.

segedi

Alphaman - let me know if you think the 19mm distorts too much for your taste. I am thinking of returning mine.