The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Nex-7 or GX-1?

S

ssanacore

I'm torn between the MP of the Sony and the image quality, compactness and great reputation of the Panasonic. I've been waiting forever for the Nex-7 to hit the streets and now that it has, it seems the reviews are mixed. People are complaining about too much noise, bad menu logic, poor color rendition etc. My purpose for it was a non-compromised walk around camera for landscapes and street photography which at the moment I shoot with a Canon 1Dsmk3 and Leica R lenses. Eventually I will probably move to the Leica M9 or it's successor, but for now it's the GX-1 or Nex7. This way I can also start to accumulate M mount optics.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

V

Vivek

You should be comparing the GX1 with a NEX-5N and not the NEX-7.

The NEX-7 has an integrated EVF. This is a huge difference.

I would suggest NEX-7, Sigma 30/2.8 DN, Sony Zeiss 24/1.8 and Sony 50/1.8.
Avoid M lenses for the NEX-7.

If you intend to buy/use an M9 or something like that, don't waste it on the NEX-7. Just save up and buy those. This camera is not for the M lenses (unless they are the latest versions).

jonoslack

Hi There
Having had both of these cameras, and in your situation, I would certainly choose the NEX7 . . . . . unless you're planning to use M wide angle lenses (which won't be wide on the GX-1 anyway).
The EVF of the NEX is a real advantage - the focus peaking with manual focus lenses is a complete no-brainer it's so good (and so absent on the Panasonic).
There is more noise on the NEX7 at 100% . . but if you downsize it to 16mp then it's a wash. The menu logic is simply different, and you can get used to it on the NEX7 - I found I was only really going into the menus to format the card anyway.
The GX-1 has faster AF, and there are more M4/3 lenses, and the AF is faster - but the IQ is not better, and it's less flexible with other lenses . . . the NEX7 works great with R lenses as well.

I hope this helps
all the best

Joe S

If your goal is an M Leica the Sony seems like a better start if you are collecting M lenses as M lenses don't work well on the Panasonic.

I am using the NEX 7 with Leica lenses and am very happy with the combination. The 35mm Summicron, 50mm and up work great. The Voigtlander 15mm and 21mm shift in the corners but after Cornerfix in 12 x 18 prints the corners are VERY close to the results from the M8. Fun for pixel peeking and academic discussions but of no consequence for real world prints. The 35mm Summicron makes for a very nice compact walk around setup with the NEX 7. Lighter and smaller than an M8 with better image quality.

S

ssanacore

Thanks. It was leaning towards the Sony, but after reading a few complaints about it, I started to think maybe the GX-1 may be just as good a choice for quite a bit less. There are also a few great lenses in the 4/3 format but I'll be Sony will catch up quickly now that the camera is beginning to ship in numbers.

Thanks for the advice.

darrellc

I have both Nex 7 and GX1 (and Canon FF). I am selling GX1 and rest of my m4/3 gear. The IQ, especially dynamic range, is much better on Nex 7. That being said, GX1 is a fantastic camera and the native lenses are fantastic and well rounded. For landscape, I think Nex would be preferable. For street, GX1 - AF performance is much better on GX1... I would be hesitant to rely on the Nex AF for street photo. Of course if you shoot zone focusing, hyper focal, MF, doesn't matter.

Also the 2x crop factor, for me, means legacy or MF lenses are less useful than with Nex, if you've plans to move to Leica FF in future.

mazor

For a good comparison of IQ goto

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

There you can put two cameras of your choice from the pull down menu and see which IQ you prefer.

I am a very very happy owner of the Nex 5n and EVF. as other have said if you are into mounting older and cheaper vintage lens and enjoy manual focus the Nex series is a no brainer. the 1.5x crop sensor uses more of the lens area, plus the focus peaking combined with truely superior EVF makes for a very powerful tool.

If you are an AF person, definitely the GX1 has appeal. The lack of lens available for the NEx is can be annoying for some, and hence why Nex users are forced to use legacy lens and manual focus. But thats pretty much all the GX1 has. Resolution IQ and dynamic range goes to Nex all the way, plus high ISO performance on the 5n does impress even against older FF Canon and Nikon DSLR cameras

HeavyDuty

I was very interested in the GX-1... until it was revealed that it didn't have an integral EVF. I completely lost interest at that point.