The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Setting up the NEX7 for simple folk

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
I have my AF/MF button mapped to MF Assist, and AF/MF control set to toggle, both in setup. One push goes straight to 5.9X.
I have the same setup. This works great, as my right thumb finds this button very easily while the camera is up to my eye.

jonoslack

I have my AF/MF button mapped to MF Assist, and AF/MF control set to toggle, both in setup. One push goes straight to 5.9X.
Good idea . . . BUT . . . . how does that work if you're using AF lenses ? - don't you just get a message saying that it's only available in MF? - which you're then forced to go into with a different button configuration.

I use the AF/MF to change from AF to MF (and then the right button to go straight to 5.9x).

all the best

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono - with an AF lens mounted, if I hit the AF/MF toggle (with it set to MF assist (magnify)), I do get a message saying that this is invalid unless I switch to MF.

However, this isn't really a problem. I still have access to manually focus the lens (I have my camera set to DMF mode - which autofocuses and then allows me to manual focus override simply by turning the focus ring).

Also - as soon as I turn the focus ring on an AF lens, the MF assist kicks in and I get the magnified view.

So this setup still works great, especially for shooters who commonly use MF lenses.

jonoslack

Jono - with an AF lens mounted, if I hit the AF/MF toggle (with it set to MF assist (magnify)), I do get a message saying that this is invalid unless I switch to MF.

However, this isn't really a problem. I still have access to manually focus the lens (I have my camera set to DMF mode - which autofocuses and then allows me to manual focus override simply by turning the focus ring).

Also - as soon as I turn the focus ring on an AF lens, the MF assist kicks in and I get the magnified view.

So this setup still works great, especially for shooters who commonly use MF lenses.
Sounds good . . . but if you have focus peaking switched on, then doesn't it show full time if you have DMF selected?
Personally I don't use focus assist that much . . . but I do use focus peaking.

The way I have it set (with AF lenses) I can press the AF/MF button to change to MF (toggle) - which also turns on focus peaking - then i can use the right arrow of the ISO (back) dial to engage focus assist. Horses for courses of course, and probably the optimum setup depends on whether you use MF or AF lenses more often.

all the best

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
Jono - you are correct - focus peaking is on all the time, with DMF set.

I don't mind this - I actually prefer to see the focus peaking even when in AF mode, so I can see more explicitly what the camera thinks it's focusing on (and therefore know when to override it by simply turning the focus ring).

As you said - it's all a matter of preference. Having the MF assist (magnification) within easy/natural reach of my thumb is a real "plus" for me, as I use MF lenses quite often, and like the magnify feature.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
. . . . BTW, to anyone who has had the 5N with the EVF, does the NEX 7 one look as good??? For me, the NEX 7 one is harder to get in focus, for me, and the view does not look as sharp, or as big as the external EVF looked. But I have sold the 5N, so can't compare.
Kit, they look identical to me in a side by side test

Keith

Jim DE

Jono, I just got my 7 late this afternoon and only had about 20 minutes of daylight shooting with it but I did set it up pretty much as you recommended.

The shots I got with this 7 and my CG45mm tonight reaffirmed that I am gonna luv this setup! Thanks Jono and Douglas for your advice and thanks to all who threw me over the edge to get this 7 due to the pics you all have been posting on this site. Now, I need to decide if the 5 goes into a waterproof housing with the pancake or goes into the closest with all the other no longer used tools ;)