The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The Nex-7 Quest: 28/2.8 (M), Konica M???

Photon-hunter

Hi to all. I recently purchased a Nex7 as a platform for using alt. lenses. I have purchased a few interesting lenses to cover my needs in terms of focal length and speed, but there is one focal length that is important to me that remains uncovered: 28 mm (40ish equivalent).

I have considered the G Biogon 28 (apparently there is no discussion about the color shift and border smearing being present with this lens) and the Zeiss ZM 28/2.8 (seems like results aren´t much better with this one either).

I understand that the problems are present only with rangefinder-symmetrical design- lenses, and it seems like the bigger SLR counterparts are free (in most cases) from this aberrations.

But before I give up and settle for one of the (bigger) SLR possibilities, I would like to ask the members here about one last RF lens that I am intrigued by (and that have the chance to buy at a reasonable price): Konica Hex M28/2.8. It seems like a very highly regarded lens and I was wondering if anybody here has any experience with this lens when paired with the NEX7. Will this lens also be affected by the mentioned problems? Can anybody provide any info regarding the optical design of this lens?

Thanks in advance for the kind replies, I will be looking forward to your input.

Regards,

E.

V

Vivek

Sigma 30mm f/2.8 DN.

Cheap and no color/ fuzz worries as with the range finder lenses.

No need for any adapters either!

Photon-hunter

Hi, thanks for your kind reply. I understand the convenience of the Sigma and appreciate your input, but I am looking for a legacy/manual focus lens (preferably M mount) to cover this focal length. I enjoy the manual focus approach and will only be using this camera under certain circumstances, for other stuff I will rely on auto-focus.

Also, I believe some other people might find this info interesting since it looks like the jury is still out regarding the behavior of widish-RF lenses on the Nex-7...

Thanks again.

E.

V

Vivek

Have you considered the Ricoh GX R? You can have your cake and eat it too. ;)

FWIW, If you go through some of the threads here, it would become obvious why the NEX-7 is not a good camera for RF lenses, especially the wides. You are wrong in making the assumption (or having the false hope) that "the jury is still out".

Photon-hunter

I haven´t had the time to go through ALL the threads regarding Alt. lenses and the Nex-7.. (yet). :p

I considered the GXR, but the "in-body" EVF (I am no fan of the "clip-on" VF´s) and the fact that it seems to be better suited for manual focus (better VF, focus peaking, etc..) convinced me to purchase the Nex-7. I may be wrong. I did own a GRDIII and a GX-100 and loved them. I really enjoyed the quality of the cameras and like Ricoh´s clever user interface very much.

E.

gurtch

I am very pleased with the NEX 7 and C/Y Carl Zeiss 28mm f2.8 Distagon. The best of all my alt lenses so far.
Dave in NJ

Photon-hunter

Hi Dave. Thanks. Yes, the C/Y 28 is very high in my list, but I guess I desperately wanted a M-mount lens to work in this camera (compact-size is the main reason I bought this camera). The C/Y adapter does add quite a bit to the length of the combo...

The Rokkor and the Oly 28´s seem to be really nice alternatives too..

E.

mawz

Unfortunately 28mm is pretty much where RF wides become problematic on the 7. The M-Rokkor 28 is a classic 28mm design and therefore not particularly telecentric which is a prescription for corner issues on the NEX-7.

While the NEX-7 is a great platform for using MF lenses, it is a poor platform for using RF wides with both the NEX-5N and the GXR M module being notably superior.

Your best bet for a good 28 which isn't overly large is looking like Voigtlander's new 28/2.8 SLII pancake on an F-mount adapter. Other than that, you'd have to go to one of the fast 28's like the 28 Cron, which are typically retrofocus designs and thus perform better on the 7.

Photon-hunter

Thanks. I'm afraid the 28 Cron is out of my budget. When you mention the fast 28's, does that include the 28 Ultron or does that lens also have issues with the Nex7??

Thanks.

mawz

Thanks. I'm afraid the 28 Cron is out of my budget. When you mention the fast 28's, does that include the 28 Ultron or does that lens also have issues with the Nex7??

Thanks.
The current 28 Ultron (the f2) has issues due to the poor edge performance of the lens, but these issues are not unique to the 7. The older one (the f1.9) should perform OK.

douglasf13

I've even had issues with a couple of my 35mm rangefinder lenses on the NEX-7, compared to my 5N. 28mm will be an even tougher find.

If you want to use the NEX-7, I'd get the "Sigmarit" 30. It is very, very sharp and compact. It's pretty remarkable for the price, really.

If you want to use rangefinder wides, I'd buy a GXR, Leica, or maybe the 5N.

I've bought and sold around 12 rangefinder lenses for NEX over the last year and a half, and, now that I've just received the Sigma 19/30 and the Sony 24/50, I must say that I think using lenses designed for NEX is a good way to go for the NEX-7, even if it isn't quite as exciting. :)

edit: judging by the location of the aperture blades, it looks like the Hexanon's exit pupil will be pretty close to the sensor, and the front and rear exit pupil look pretty similar in size, so I'd bet it is pretty symmetrical and it'll have plenty of corner issues on the NEX-7, and maybe even the 5N. Here is a pic from ebay: http://www.9days.hk/equipments/1010a/larger/10I047_05.jpg

Last edited:

Photon-hunter

Eventually I went for a "Sigmarit" as Douglas named it. ;-) I got many recommendations pointing me in the direction of this lens and I must say that, specially considering it´s price, I am amazed. Very nice little lens. Very sharp, no flare and I am liking how it renders the out of focus areas very much. It seems like Sigma is nailing the "Bokeh" quality in their latest offerings.

For the "manual experience" I got myself a Rokkor 28/2.8 (tiny lovely lens, though it looses some of it´s small size paired with the adapter). I am now waiting for my Minolta-Nex adapter to arrive together with my also newly acquired Rokkor 58/1.2 so I can start fooling around.. :)

Thanks for all the input.

E.

m_driscoll

I tried a Leica Elmarit R 24mm f/2.8 on my Nex7 today. Pretty impressive glass and relatively inexpensive for a Leica. I didn't buy it...but, I bought a Minota MC-Rokkor 58mm f/1.2. My adapter came today. You'll be pleased with yours. Also, bought three other Leica R lenses. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

mawz

I tried a Leica Elmarit R 24mm f/2.8 on my Nex7 today. Pretty impressive glass and relatively inexpensive for a Leica. I didn't buy it...but, I bought a Minota MC-Rokkor 58mm f/1.2. My adapter came today. You'll be pleased with yours. Also, bought three other Leica R lenses. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
The Elmarit-R is even cheaper if you get it as a 24/2.8 MD, which is the same optical design. The main reason the R version is so cheap is that it's a Minolta-designed lens also available for SR mount (and IIRC the A mount 24/2.8 is derived from this design as well).

NicholasRab

I have the 28 ultron and the sigmarit. I'm selling the ultron. While I prefer the build and feel, the sigmarit focuses quickly, and far closer than the ultron. It performs better as well, particularly edge performance.

Funny, on the M8 I found that the 28 ultron was a stellar lens.

Love the sigmarit name as well btw :)

douglasf13

I have the 28 ultron and the sigmarit. I'm selling the ultron. While I prefer the build and feel, the sigmarit focuses quickly, and far closer than the ultron. It performs better as well, particularly edge performance.

Funny, on the M8 I found that the 28 ultron was a stellar lens.

Love the sigmarit name as well btw :)
I have a feeling that I'm going to drum up a lot of hate on various forums by coming up with "Sigmarit," but I think it's pretty funny. :)