The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica R Lenses on a Sony A77?

m_driscoll

I did a search and didn't come up with anything definitive, here, or through Google. There are some adapters available, but I couldn't figure out which ones actually worked for the A77 (A-Mount) (and future 'A99'). Some on Ebay were described as 'DIY'. Do-it-yourself?

Anybody have any success? Clearly, the lenses work great with the Nex E-mount adapters.

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

jonoslack

HI Matt
Yes - I have adapted a 70-200 Leica R lens with a Leitax adapter - it took about 5 minutes, and the adapter is beautifully made (and David great to deal with).

ROM lenses are more of an issue - 3 cam lenses simple.

However, to be honest, I spend more time using unmodified R lenses on the NEX7 with a Novoflex R adapter (added to which, if Leica come out with a solution one won't have to convert the lenses back again!).

all the best

m_driscoll

HI Matt
Yes - I have adapted a 70-200 Leica R lens with a Leitax adapter - it took about 5 minutes, and the adapter is beautifully made (and David great to deal with).

ROM lenses are more of an issue - 3 cam lenses simple.

However, to be honest, I spend more time using unmodified R lenses on the NEX7 with a Novoflex R adapter (added to which, if Leica come out with a solution one won't have to convert the lenses back again!).

all the best
Gentlemen: Thanks for the responses. That's about what I thought. It seems that my simplest course is to use them, unmodified, as Jono said, on the Nex 7. The Novoflex R adapter's coming tomorrow and I have several R-lenses on hold at the camera store.

Thanks, again.

Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll

I think you need a very good reason to use Leica glass on a Sony. I have a bunch and am going to be selling them all off for Sony Zeiss lenses. One reason I have kept mine is they are generally much smaller and lighter than Sony lenses and they do have a different quality to them, but just stick with Sony and keep your life simple.

If you are not comfortable swapping mounts on your lenses, David will do it for you or take it to a local camera repair shop.

jonoslack

HI Bill
Swapping mounts isn't necessary if you use a NEX7 - it works really well, focus peaking makes focusing a snap - the EVF means that you don't need to do stop down metering. Using them on the A900 was a huge mission . . .on the A77 it means a mount swap . . on the NEX7 it's rather a joy (the 28-90 may look stupid but it sure works!).

all the best

apsheng

I had all mine converted to Alpha using David's mounts and Lao chip. Except for the APO 180 which I use with the APO 2x converter. Same convertion works on both the A900 and A77. Below is photo I took this morning with the 180 and the 2x on NEX-7 with A-EA1 adapter. The 180 with the 2x is actually a very compact package and makes an effective FL of 540mm. on the NEX. Unfortunately had to take the stills and movie through my kitchen window. Later the hawk took off with its breakfast hearing the slightest sound from attempted openning of a window.

Alan

Matt,
Here are a few images shot in the past days with the Leitax adapted 1.4 APO TC on my 400 APO 2.8 mounted on the A77. The focus magnification works great on stationary subjects. Your R glass will work fine on the A77, though moving subjects will be a challenge with the EVF.
First a severe crop of a Rufous Hummingbird (m) followed by a 100% crop of the same image (jpg compression has softened the 100% crops significantly). Next is a similar heavy crop of an Anna's Hummingbird (f) followed by a 100% crop of the same image and finally a House Finch (m) (100% crop) shot this afternoon.
Your results will depend entirely on the R glass you use and your skill at manually focusing. Nail focus and the resolution will amaze you!

philip_pj

m,

Both choices work great. The Leitax mount will be a more substantial fit on a DSLR body than two more surfaces with an unmatched adapter inbetween on a lighter body. You get SSS also with a chip.

Sony seem unpredictable, but are almost certain to produce more FF cameras in the next 12 months, maybe a 'hybrid' for both A and NEX mount, but a FF NEX remains very problematic, though all wish for it. Exciting times thanks to these quirky people at Sony:thumbup:

'I think you need a very good reason to use Leica glass on a Sony.'

Top image quality will suffice pour moi!

m_driscoll

Guys: thanks for the great input and example photos. I think, I'm going to stick with the R glass on the Nex. I did read that rumor about the hybrid A and E lens mount on a Sony FF. Of course, I also, read the one about the square format FF Sony. :D

Cheers, Matt

Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll