The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

In Camera jpg sharpening Nex7

Paul2660

Is it possible to adjust the in camera jpg sharpening? I have read a few articles that refer to this as being possible, but so far I can't locate any settings.

Thanks
Paul

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Skipping through the manual, see p. 40, Creative Styles—see Sharpening as the last setting? I am waiting for mine to arrive, but my guess is that you select the Creative Style, and then select again, and choose the parameters you want to change; Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpening. These settings will affect the display and the EVF, and JPEGs.

HeavyDuty

Skipping through the manual, see p. 40, Creative Styles—see Sharpening as the last setting? I am waiting for mine to arrive, but my guess is that you select the Creative Style, and then select again, and choose the parameters you want to change; Contrast, Saturation, and Sharpening. These settings will affect the display and the EVF, and JPEGs.
Correct - that's how it works. You can set contrast, saturation and sharpening separately for each style.

k-hawinkler

Thanks.
How about focus peaking?
Is any particular setting of these parameters better than another?
Someone was recommending -3, 0, +3 for contrast, saturation, and sharpening.
He also recommended peaking level low.
What's your practice?

Best, K-H.

HeavyDuty

That's how I've been setting mine, it seems to work fine. I also stay in B&W mode because it helps me previsualize - yellow peaking is very effective with a monochrome VF.

Paul2660

Thanks guys, I had not looked at the creative styles. However where I was outputting as jpg is when using the HDR process since you can't use raw here. From what I can tell there is no way to pick a sharpening setting for the jpegs that are from the HDR process? The only thing I can find to change is the exposure bracketing.

Thanks
Paul