The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 7 firmware upgrade request

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I want the 1:1 format option, selectable via soft key.

I am using the '7 with the MS Optical Perar 35/3.5, and I have set the camera up (unintuitively, for me) to P mode, as suggested by Jono on another thread; it's magic.

I say 'magic' because the back dial now controls ISO, and there's a direct read-out of shutter speed in the EVF—so you can make that critical balance between ISO and speed with the one dial. Anyway, a bit OT, but thanks Jono!

The only drawback of the '7 for me is no 1:1 format. I know we can crop, but having the finder showing 1:1 'clear' and shading to show the rest of the sensor would be brilliant for me personally.

For the request list!

jonoslack

Well I'm up for that. I'll have two things (well, 4 actually!):
1: in P mode with 3rd party lenses, keep the left hand dial (program shift) active and have it change the shutter speed

2: make the video button programmable

3. Have an option for the AEL button to use spot exposure (like the A77)

4: improve AF speed

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
This camera desperately needs at least three custom settings - don't know why they don't do it. Then when it gets square format as well, I can switch instantly to square black and white, as I have been doing on my Ricohs for the past five years.

Keith

kit, you don't want to use the squares grid which will give you a 1:1 framelines?

-better exposure bracketing.
-combine the mp4 and avchd folders. even all folders during review.
-allow self timer or remote in all shooting modes.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Ken—I didn't know that was an option (haven't looked into the menus at all, after following the "for simple folk" settings Jono suggested. I will look into this.

Mike Hatam

Senior Subscriber Member
1. Ability to enable/disable the "video" button
2. Combine file-types (images / videos) in playback mode
3. Bigger spread on exposure bracketing (i.e. -5 to +5 stops)
4. Ability to input the focal length of MF lenses and get in-camera corrections applied (similar to M9)
5. Minimum of 3 "custom settings" for storing various setups
6. Reorganize menus so that things are grouped more logically

alphaman

1. Ability to enable/disable the "video" button
2. Combine file-types (images / videos) in playback mode
3. Bigger spread on exposure bracketing (i.e. -5 to +5 stops)
4. Ability to input the focal length of MF lenses and get in-camera corrections applied (similar to M9)
5. Minimum of 3 "custom settings" for storing various setups
6. Reorganize menus so that things are grouped more logically
Completely agree! Particularly nos. 1 and 4!

Paul2660

Most definitely, allow the video button to be either moved or turned off, what a pain. I would love to talk to that developer.

Again I agree, allow more gap in the exposure bracketing. and allow a HDR raw mode.

Paul

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
+10! on all of the above + "off" as you cycle through the screen choices.

As long as we're messing with the video button we might as well make it programable.

It would be really useful if the magnify (or some programable button - ideally the video button) cycled through contrast detection on, magnify, magnify + contrast detection. normal view.

4season

1) Contrasting frame lines around the periphery of the finder, because otherwise when I'm shooting a dark object, I can't always tell where the frame ends.

2) Magnify only central portion when manually focusing, because I want to critically focus without losing my overall framing.

3) Available focus scale with DOF indicator.

4) USB remote capability!

5) More histogram options: Live histogram in finder is super-handy, but how's about more options for transparency or making it vanish after X number of seconds.

6) There are so many ways to configure the camera, but no way to save settings to a file, but maybe there should be.