The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX7 & 50 f1.8

jonoslack

Hi There
I bought the sigma 30 from digital rev . . . . and at the last minute I popped the 50 f1.8 into the basket. I rather regretted it, but never got around to cancelling it.

Lenses arrived yesterday after their typical quick service - the sigma looks like just what I wanted for a small lens, IQ looks perfectly decent, and I'm glad that everybody else has a 'loose bit inside'! :ROTFL:

The 50 f1.8 is quite a different thing . . . I was disappointed that it was a little large - and very silver. Still, good build quality, fast focusing (and quite close) . . . . then I remembered that 75mm is actually my favourite focal length on the Leica. Anyway, this lens is fantastic - lovely feel to the images, decent bokeh, quick fast focusing. excellent!

1600 ISO f2.2 1/125

1600 ISO f1.8 1/250

1600 ISO f2.8 1/80

100 ISO f2 1/640

1600 ISO f1.8 1/125

100 ISO f5.6 1/40

if 75mm turns you on I can't recommend this lens enough on the NEX7 - excellent.

HeavyDuty

I'm also a big fan of the 75mm on a 35mm rangefinder so the Sony 50 has great appeal to me. Hopefully by the time my wallet recovers from buying the NEX-7 and Sigma 30/2.8 Sony will have gotten around to offering the 50 in black finish. ;) Meanwhile I'll have to get by with my Zuiko 50/1.8 on an adapter.

The Sony 50 certainly appears to be a decent lens!

Joe S

Jono

I have enjoyed you postings and images. I am curious about your relationship with your NEX 7. I believe I recall you were unhappy with it and sent it back at one time but obviously this has changed. Would you share your feelings about this?

Thanks

Joe

Paul2660

Thanks for the shots, love the road B&W. I have ordered the 50mm 1.8 based on Uwe's comments on a different post. Your shots confirm it's a great lens.

Hard to find right now however.

Paul

jonoslack

Jono

I have enjoyed you postings and images. I am curious about your relationship with your NEX 7. I believe I recall you were unhappy with it and sent it back at one time but obviously this has changed. Would you share your feelings about this?

Thanks

Joe
Hi There Joe
I sold it . . . .just after getting back from a skiing trip at the end of January - basically it was in a fit of pique that you could't easily see the EVF at 3000metres in snow and sunshine. . . .

Then I thought I'd buy an OMD . . . . then I compared the IQ of the OMD and the NEX7 and realised that was a foolish move.

Fortunately I hadn't got around to selling the NEX lenses, so I bought another body. I'm really pleased I did - it's a nicely made, fun and versatile camera . . as soon as you work out how to limit the need to access the menus.

all the best

jonoslack

Thanks for the shots, love the road B&W. I have ordered the 50mm 1.8 based on Uwe's comments on a different post. Your shots confirm it's a great lens.

Hard to find right now however.

Paul
Hi Paul
I got mine from DigitalRev in Hong Kong - their service is pretty good, and delivery time is almost unbelievably quick.

I hope this helps
all the best

jonoslack

I'm also a big fan of the 75mm on a 35mm rangefinder so the Sony 50 has great appeal to me. Hopefully by the time my wallet recovers from buying the NEX-7 and Sigma 30/2.8 Sony will have gotten around to offering the 50 in black finish. ;) Meanwhile I'll have to get by with my Zuiko 50/1.8 on an adapter.

The Sony 50 certainly appears to be a decent lens!
Hi Ken
I'd have liked a black one as well . . . but I guess the silver one works as well . . .and makes it easier to distinguish from my black kit lens, and my black Zeiss 24 f1.8.

all the best

Terry

I missed this when you posted. Of all the NEX lenses, the 50 is not one you want to skip over.

I actually think my kit is almost done. Just need something really wide and maybe a macro longer than 30.

Zooms kit + 18-200
Primes 16, 24, 30, 50

jonoslack

I missed this when you posted. Of all the NEX lenses, the 50 is not one you want to skip over.

I actually think my kit is almost done. Just need something really wide and maybe a macro longer than 30.

Zooms kit + 18-200
Primes 16, 24, 30, 50
Hi Terry
yes, indeed - I don't have the 16 anymore, but otherwise my kit is identical to yours. If I need wide I have the WATE, which works well on the NEX7.

As you say, the 50 is splendid!

all the best

Joe S

Hi There Joe
I sold it . . . .just after getting back from a skiing trip at the end of January - basically it was in a fit of pique that you could't easily see the EVF at 3000metres in snow and sunshine. . . .

Then I thought I'd buy an OMD . . . . then I compared the IQ of the OMD and the NEX7 and realised that was a foolish move.

Fortunately I hadn't got around to selling the NEX lenses, so I bought another body. I'm really pleased I did - it's a nicely made, fun and versatile camera . . as soon as you work out how to limit the need to access the menus.

all the best

Thanks. Glad to hear you are enjoying it.

Paul2660

For really wide, has anyone tried the Sony Alpha 11-18mm? It would give you a true 16.5mm on the Nex7. It's not a cheap lens at 798.00 might be a good wide solution with either of the Sony Nex E to Alpha adapters.

Paul