The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New York with Nex-7 + Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21

jaree

As has been noted in other threads, this lens really shines on the M9. On the Nex-7, is it ok - nothing stellar.

Focusing even with peaking and magnification was a challenge with this lens as with wide angles, almost everything is in focus and I found it a bit hard to get critical focus.

Once the focus is nailed and other stars align, this combo does give some good results and the lens shows its character. I have yet to extract the max out of it as I am sure it is capable of more, but my skills are not there yet.

Nightshots are a bit blurred as I did not have a tripod and exposures were quite long. F4 min did not help either. Image #4 is heavily cropped (approx 30% of the total image is shown).

N7-Tri-JC-2 by brownxy, on Flickr

Nex-7 + Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21 (WATE) by brownxy, on Flickr

mazor

impressive pics!!! good to see the Tri elmar on nex.

When you say the Tri elamar is not stellar on the nex, what exactly is not stellar with that combo?

Is it due to the crop factor, essentially making the 16mm into a 24mm in 35mm terms and 21mm becomes 31.5 abeit a very slow 31.5mm lens?

I know the M9 has amazing IQ, partially due to the absence of an AA filter which the NEx does have, and the overall sharpness can be seen as lost. Also M9 does come at a substantially higher price tag over the Nex7, of which you could easily buy nearly 3 Nex7 for the price of an M9, approx I think.

jaree

Thx for looking and glad you like the pics.

My main beef is the difficulty in achieving perfect focus with this combo even with peaking and magnification. A lot of times, I had to guess and my guess was in many cases more accurate than what the peaking indicated.

As for the sharpness comparison with the M9 and Nex-7, I have seen better sharpness with the Nex-7 and Summilux 50mm ASPH than the same lens on the M9. Having said that, sharpness is only one aspect of overall IQ and this is where the M9 looks better to my eyes, but that is a different thread and discussion.

I love both Nex-7 and M9. They complement each other very nicely. And no, I wouldn't trade the M9 for even 300 Nex-7 bodies!

mazor

hmm that is strange that you are having so much issues with focus peaking, and never had focus issues with magnification. But guess you were shooting into low light combined with slow f4 lens will not help the live view. I think thats where OVFs are still superior to EVF where there is not the available light hitting the sensor during live view.

I think for different lens focus peaking has to be set differently, which I know is annoying. For instance when I use my 50mm f1.2 L on Nex the peaking I set to medium, and low for CV 15mm f4.5. Don't ask me why but after experimenting a bit I found that for slower lens setting peaking sensitivity to higher can help.

as for magnification, it should just work really. I am lucky on the 50mm f1.2L, when the lens is set to MF, it automatically magnifies when I rotate the focus barrel, so less chances of getting focal distance change as from pressive focusing aids button on the back of the nex.