The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Manual Focus assist when using LA-EA2 on Nex7

jrosen2

Hi all. I recently got the LA-EA2 and the alpha 16-105mm lens as well as the Sigma 10-20mm. My Nex7 is set up so that when using manual focus lenses, to get magnification I push the AF/MF button. With E system lenses, turning the focus ring while half pressing the shutter brings on the magnification.

How do you enable magnification using the LA-EA2 and Sony alpha lenses?

Paul2660

With the EA-2, select manual focus with the selector button AF/MF, then use the bottom section button. The LCD will have "focus by it. One press 5.9, two presses 11.7.

Paul

jrosen2

Thanks for the reply. When I push the button on the af/mf selector, I get a message that this does not work with automatic focus. Also I am unsure what you mean by the bottom section button.

mazor

have you tried going to the AF setting in the nex and switched the mode from AF to MF before trying?

jrosen2

The problem with that is that I want to use AF but also have the option of refining the focus using magnify assist.

mazor

oh ok, in that same menu there is option called DMF. Usually with emount lens it will auto magnify when the manual focus ring is rotated. Please let us know if this works? Otherwise you may have to wait for Sony to bring out new firmware to hopefully resolve that issue.

Also you have tried the switch at the back of the nex 7? (as I have a 5n it does not have this button)

mazor

sorry can't help.

I was pondering getting a LA-E2 for the phase AF, but then I would have to get 3rd party lens, since alpha lens usually don't come with OS in lens, and so decided to go for conurus EF to nex adapter. Although no AF, the MF features work real well, plus get Canons IS and fast aperture mid zooms, and teles

Last edited:

Paul2660

Just one other thought, does your lens have a AF/MF switch? I have only used Sony Alpha lenses that required the drive in the Camera body, like the Zeiss 16-80. If the lens has a motor, make sure the lens is swtiched to MF.

Paul

jrosen2

I think I may not have explained myself to well. I want to autofocus with the alpha lenses attached to my Nex 7 and LA-EA2. However I would like to tweak the focus using magnify assist when I think it may be necessary. There appears to be no way to accomplish this with the LA-EA2 and attached lenses. Assigning focus assist to any button does not work - you get the error that it is unavailable when autofocus is enabled. Also holding the shutter at half press allows you to adjust focus on the AF alpha lenses but there is no magnify assist as there would be with E lenses.
Those of you with the LA_EA2 adapter: have you somehow set an adjustment to allow focus assist magnification?