The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the NEX system winding down?

V

Vivek

So, I don't subscribe to the NEX is going away principal, I do subscribe to Sony being dumb. In two years we've had 6 bodies...and a very slow trickle of lenses. This manufacturing schedule needs to be reversed....and quickly.
+1

V

Vivek

Go C3!!

To make the nex 7 stand out more in the future it would be nice it they could fix colorcasting with legacy rangefinder lens but also maybe a more powerful bioz processor to control noise at higher ISO, and hence allow the auto ISO to go above 1600.

+1

FWIW, the prices of the NEX-C3 bodies went up a bit after I bought mine (199 Euros). Should have a bought a few then.

jonoslack

So, I don't subscribe to the NEX is going away principal, I do subscribe to Sony being dumb. In two years we've had 6 bodies...and a very slow trickle of lenses. This manufacturing schedule needs to be reversed....and quickly.
I'm sure you're right that they're not going away, but the lens issue does rather back up the idea that they're looking for new customers rather than looking after existing customers.

alphaman

In my opinion, the heart of any system is the selection of lenses available and not the body.

The lens is the single most important part and the sensor is a close second while the rest of the camera is a glorified box.

Too many bodies and too few lenses = a poor choice for the would be buyer of Sony products. I have a poverty of Sony lenses which is their loss as well as mine (Sigma may well benefit).

Sony needs to stop making little gimmicky changes to existing bodies to lure in new users and look after it's loyal fan base with a good choice of top quality, black finished, affordable lenses - let's give Micro 4/3 and Fuji a run for their money instead as being an "also ran".

MikalWGrass

New users vs. existing users? Isn't the beauty of the nex 7 system the ability to use almost any lens? Seems to me then that the nex system isn't really winding down for good, but may be retooling.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
What is a bit odd, is that when Sony launched the Alpha cameras, there was a relatively complete range of lenses within a short period of time. With NEX, that hasn't happened, and that leaves me totally uninterested in the cameras as well. Maybe NEX isn't winding down, but I do get a feeling that it has never really been winding up.

Godfrey

A simple answer is to get an M9 - after which everything seems moot . .. but the effect doesn't last forever
It doesn't? Damn.
Has to last until 2013 ... ]'-)

... But I kind of agree with Marc on this one - there was also a telling remark by David Kilpatrick to the effect that Sony were much more interested in new users than their existing users.
Makes sense if you're trying to grow market share. You don't grow market share by re-selling to the same customers. ... !

douglasf13

Nearly all of the original Sony Alpha lenses were rebadged Minolta lenses, so they had a way to fast track the system. I don't quite understand the big deal. Sony has shown the Nex lens roadmap and basically stuck with it. This stuff takes time, and m4/3 had quite a head start.

It doesn't matter to me much, anyways. Regardless of the system, I only shoot 3-4 lenses, and I'm already covered by Sony/Sigma. I may be interested in the large aperture standard prime, but I'm enjoying my current lens setup of 19, 30, 50.

Godfrey

Good link.

The reason I have put together the kit I have ... Olympus E-1, Nikon F bodies, and Leica M4-2, M9, Ricoh GXR bodies ... is that I can use my preferred lenses in Leica M, LTM, Olympus and Nikon mounts almost across the board with all of them. It's the lenses that make the system.

The weird thing is that the further I go with my photography, the less lenses and bodies I need and use. I really only need three, maybe four, top notch lenses that I like for more than 95% of everything I shoot now, and that's stretching it.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Douglas, is that the Sigma 19 you use? (I have the 30 and the Sony 50/1.8 coming.)

On this trip, I have taken the OM-D plus 20/1.7 and the NEX-7 with the Sigma 30/2.8—still looking for the ultimate one-lens–one-body solution!

V

Vivek

What is a bit odd, is that when Sony launched the Alpha cameras, there was a relatively complete range of lenses within a short period of time. With NEX, that hasn't happened, and that leaves me totally uninterested in the cameras as well. Maybe NEX isn't winding down, but I do get a feeling that it has never really been winding up.
FWIW, the NEX line is also Alpha cameras/lenses. Only it is Alpha E instead of Alpha A.

As long as Sony is trying to emulate Samsung (NX -> NEX, wifi -> wifi, 180 flip screen for self portrait,.....), not much winding either way is going to happen?

douglasf13

Douglas, is that the Sigma 19 you use? (I have the 30 and the Sony 50/1.8 coming.)

On this trip, I have taken the OM-D plus 20/1.7 and the NEX-7 with the Sigma 30/2.8—still looking for the ultimate one-lens–one-body solution!
Yeah, I find the Sigma 19 to be as good as any other side I've tried for NEX, although I don't use wide a lot, so take that with a grain of salt.

My friend has the OM-D and 20/1.7, and that is an interesting combo to me, but I haven't had a chance to try it. The Panny 20 is slightly wider, but slightly faster in aperture equivalent, so it'd pretty much be a wash for me in comparison with the Sigmarit 30 on the NEX-7. I like that the Panny lens is smaller, but the OM-D is taller than the NEX-7, so I'd say that's basically a wash, too.

What are your feelings, so far? IQ? How do the EVFs compare? Have you had any of the banding issues that have been reported with that lens on the OM-D at high ISO? Since I shoot mostly a standard-ish prime, I think the OM-D + 20/1.7 (or 25/1.4) is a pretty cool looking, potential option for me.

mazor

I guess you also mean light solution, other wise you could just use an A900 with the Zeiss 24-70 2.8, ho hum

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
Nearly all of the original Sony Alpha lenses were rebadged Minolta lenses, so they had a way to fast track the system. I don't quite understand the big deal. Sony has shown the Nex lens roadmap and basically stuck with it. This stuff takes time, and m4/3 had quite a head start.

It doesn't matter to me much, anyways. Regardless of the system, I only shoot 3-4 lenses, and I'm already covered by Sony/Sigma. I may be interested in the large aperture standard prime, but I'm enjoying my current lens setup of 19, 30, 50.
Many were re-badged Minolta lenses, but there were a number of Zeiss lenses also available within short time, some from the start, and those were for many the reason to buy into the system. That can certainly not be said about NEX.

The m4/3 head start was one and a half years. Now m4/3 is 3.5 years and NEX 2 years old. m4/3 obviously has the advantage of being supported by two major camera manufacturers, but that's life for Sony at the moment. They have to compete with any multi-headed troll that appears on the horizon.

Jorgen Udvang

Subscriber Member
FWIW, the NEX line is also Alpha cameras/lenses. Only it is Alpha E instead of Alpha A.
In that case, one must say that m4/3 is also 4/3 lenses. That doesn't improve things much for Sony I'm afraid. You want a standard zoom? There are at least seven available in 4/3 mount from Panalympic alone. Then there's Sigma. Telephoto lenses? An abundance, anything from the cheapish 70-300 to the stellar 300/2.8 or the 150/2.

While most people only buy and use a few lenses, they are often looking for a particular combination of focal length, aperture and quality. I was very enthusiastic towards NEX when it was launched, but after trying their widest lens, the 16mm (is it still the widest?), and waiting it out for a couple of years, I find m4/3 totally superior as a system. The larger sensor is nice, the lens selection isn't. The fact that only the top model has a built in viewfinder is the final nail for me.

I hate to be negative, but I'm afraid that Sony is in for a long, uphill struggle here, and their coffers aren't as deep as they where during their heydays. I've also noticed that they keep complaining about the world economy and a diminishing markets. That hasn't prevented Samsung from crushing their market share on the TV arena in a steamroller like manner, so the market isn't diminishing for everyone. There seems to be something wrong with the attitude at Sony at the moment, and attitudes come from the top. When one sees what Olympus has been able to achieve under their corrupted leadership, one can wonder what is going on at Sony's board meetings.

douglasf13

Many were re-badged Minolta lenses, but there were a number of Zeiss lenses also available within short time, some from the start, and those were for many the reason to buy into the system. That can certainly not be said about NEX.

The m4/3 head start was one and a half years. Now m4/3 is 3.5 years and NEX 2 years old. m4/3 obviously has the advantage of being supported by two major camera manufacturers, but that's life for Sony at the moment. They have to compete with any multi-headed troll that appears on the horizon.
Yeah, I had a couple of those lenses, but there were only 2 Zeiss primes close to launch, and it took a while for the Zeiss zooms to come along (except for the aps-c one.)

I actually feel pretty good about the Sony lens line. The 24 and 50 are good lenses, and there's a fast standard, mid tele, wide zoom, G zoom and a couple of others coming this year and next, which isn't too bad. I only ever need 3-4 lenses for any system. Sigma has filled in the gap nicely for me right now.

V

Vivek

That hasn't prevented Samsung from crushing their market share on the TV arena in a steamroller like manner, so the market isn't diminishing for everyone. There seems to be something wrong with the attitude at Sony at the moment, and attitudes come from the top. When one sees what Olympus has been able to achieve under their corrupted leadership, one can wonder what is going on at Sony's board meetings.
They only seem to react to what Samsung are doing. That seems to be the main problem. I am enjoying the ride as long as it lasts. :)

The m4/3rds is cruising. The undisputed leaders in the mirrorless arena. :thumbs: