The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the NEX system winding down?

mazor

Godfrey nicely said. I think time waiting for newer models is time lost not capturing the moment.

I am not really sure what Sony could really do to make the already good NEX series even better. The only "marketing" feature they could do is possibly increase the MP of the sensor, possibly even better AF similar to the Pannys MFT.

I really think though Sony needs to being out some faster aperture zoom lens similar to whats on offering with MFT

V

Vivek

Since we are into discussing ' rumors '; it really does not matter whether we discuss ' yellow porsches ' or have/ not have a clue about anything.

Better to ooze wisdom about something, random or otherwise, than have incessant discussion about ' rumors ' .:sleep006:
Misplaced "wisdom", directed at the wrong person uttered for completely the wrong reasons without understanding what actually is being addressed is a lot worse than "rumors". ;)

Got the wrong marque, Vivek.
Let it roll off your tongue: "Mercedes" .. Doesn't sound anything like "Porsche."

];-)

Who really cares? I don't.
Sony has some nice cameras ... If I wanted one, I'd buy it and make photographs. I don't buy cameras on future potentials, I buy cameras on what they do. And I certainly don't need wifi in my cameras.
Neither do I and that is the whole point of my frustration.

FWIW, if it is yellow whether it is a Lada or Porsche.. ;)

douglasf13

I did worse than that. Went to a C3. fabulous sensor!:D
Fabulous sensor, but the 7's is as good or better in every regard...again, assuming you're not using rangefinder lenses. FWIW, I know a guy on another forum that claims the 5N's sensor is a little better than the C3's, but I've not seen any real evidence of that, outside of the lower base ISO.

Millsart

Its not winding down by any means, but lately I have seen a lot of people selling their NEX systems in favor of the Xpro or OM-D. Likewise no revolutionary upgrades this round of releases save for a flip screen and a updated 18-200 that probably not many people here were asking for, but its hardly the end of the product cycle.

These things ebb and flow. Just watch when a new 35mm f1.4 OSS Sony prime comes out, or maybe an UWA zoom, and you'll see OM-D's, XPro's etc up for sale and people buying back into the NEX system.

douglasf13

These things ebb and flow. Just watch when a new 35mm f1.4 OSS Sony prime comes out, or maybe an UWA zoom, and you'll see OM-D's, XPro's etc up for sale and people buying back into the NEX system.
No kidding, and both of those are expected this year, so we'll see soon enough (although I think the 35mm will be f1.8.)

rayyan

... My gosh, have we become such a legion of fine little consumer robots, forever waiting for the next titillating new toy to spend our money on!
Yes. One does not have to look far to see the evidence.
First off, I am not into old yellow porsches.;)

Do you folks have any clue about what is being discussed here or just oozing some random wisdom? :rolleyes:
Rumors have it ...
Misplaced "wisdom", directed at the wrong person uttered for completely the wrong reasons without understanding what actually is being addressed is a lot worse than "rumors". ;)
I answered a simple question that was posted.

I have not originally mentioned about any rumors nor talked about ' wisdom '. Neither oozed it, neither misattributed it, nor misplaced it.

Only when ' wisdom ' first struck did I refer to it.

I have quoted the relevant passages above.

Regards.

V

Vivek

Fabulous sensor, but the 7's is as good or better in every regard...again, assuming you're not using rangefinder lenses. FWIW, I know a guy on another forum that claims the 5N's sensor is a little better than the C3's, but I've not seen any real evidence of that, outside of the lower base ISO.
I am quite sure the processor in 5N is much better than C3. I am using RF lenses and even worse (ie., very short back focal length). The C3 takes them all in its stride. :thumbs:

V

Vivek

No kidding, and both of those are expected this year, so we'll see soon enough (although I think the 35mm will be f1.8.)
Agree on that f/1.8. Faster than that isn't going happen with the current state of the art CDAF.

pegelli

Well, I have no problem with people just talking about getting better and better cameras and trying to find the ultimate best system. If the D3, new Canon, M4/3 or anything else scratch your itch for that it's great, everybody happy with what they have and use.

What I do have a problem with is declaring a system "winding down" when it doesn't need your personal needs and (conciously or unconciously) leaving out key upgrades to make it even look worse. Especially when these posters then get cross with everybody who disagrees with their opinion.

I think we all post here to express different viewpoints and learn from the viewpoints of others, and not to be ridiculed for a different point of view.

Nuff said, another discussion gone south quickly :(

V

Vivek

What I do have a problem with is declaring a system "winding down" when it doesn't need your personal needs and (conciously or unconciously) leaving out key upgrades to make it even look worse. Especially when these posters then get cross with everybody who disagrees with their opinion.
Then you should not have a problem with me if you correct your reading of a question as "declaration". :)

Some of those who posted here couldn't care less where this system is or where it might go. ;)

Godfrey

...Some of those who posted here couldn't care less where this system is or where it might go.
Who might you be referring to?

I don't know about anyone else, but I do watch Sony's NEX and SLT lineup carefully. I haven't found any that I was interested in enough to buy yet, but the NEX 7 seemed a good possibility for a while. I'm interested to see all camera technology improve, even if my own interests as "Ye Olde Photo Farte" would have me more comfortable with stone knives and bear's claws.

Now keep an eye out for them Yellow cars.

Terry

I was one of the NEX7 sellers. If I had to chose a camera between the NEX7 and the X-Pro1, I prefer shooting with the X-Pro1. That doesn't mean that there is anything wrong with the Sony. It is just my preference in tool. Now the X-Pro1 does solve wide or long for me and I need another solution. That solution was either NEX or m4/3. While I like the resolution etc. of the NEX7, m4/3 had the right lenses to compliment my Fuji.

So, I don't subscribe to the NEX is going away principal, I do subscribe to Sony being dumb. In two years we've had 6 bodies...and a very slow trickle of lenses. This manufacturing schedule needs to be reversed....and quickly.

Michiel Schierbeek

Well gentlemen, I like the NEX-7 and use the RF wides on another camera.
The only thing I want is a full frame sensor which hopefully works with the wides as well, in a small (NEX-7 like) EVF body. It feels good with all he dials especially with the Gariz case, otherwis the camera would be just to petite for my hands.

There is a rumor all Sony cameras will be yellow this summer. :D

monza

Rumors have it that the only features the new F3 and F5 are the 180deg flip up screen for self portraits and the there is a wifi in F5. No integrated evf , no hotshoe nothing that is really useful for photography.

Are Sony better off making and selling sensors to those who can make cameras?

I am not pleased with these developments at all.
Well I for one won't buy a camera that makes it easier for self portraits, heck, I even cover up the webcam on my MacBook Air with a piece of tape lest I scare myself by accidentally opening Photobooth. :)

As far as wifi goes, if there were an iOS style interface (as opposed to the usual UI mess that most cameras include) that allowed quick uploads to flickr, twitpic or other services, that I would find useful and I'm sure many others would, too.

Well gentlemen, I like the NEX-7 and use the RF wides on another camera.
The only thing I want is a full frame sensor which hopefully works with the wides as well, in a small (NEX-7 like) EVF body. It feels good with all he dials especially with the Gariz case, otherwis the camera would be just to petite for my hands.
I keep seeing comments disparaging the NEX-7 and RF wides. Yes, there are corner color issues with symmetrical designs but I just picked up a Heliar 15mm for $300 and after 30 minutes of CornerFix setup, frankly I'm stunned. Maybe this isn't for everyone but with a minimal amount of effort, this particular wide shines brightly on the 7.

The combination of excellent control, EVF, tilt-screen, resolution, size (especially with the Gariz) and peaking for legacy lenses has me about as content as can be.

Yes, there is always an urge to try out an OM-D or an X-Pro 1 but I have had a chance to put hands on both and while I recognize their allures, I've been on this carousel before and have come away understanding what makes the 7 so appealing to me and what I would miss if I switched.

Different strokes, as we all have our own demands from a camera platform but for me, even if by some bizarre chance that Vivek's question is affirmed, I'll be happy with this camera for a long time.

mazor

I did worse than that. Went to a C3. fabulous sensor!:D
Go C3!!

To make the nex 7 stand out more in the future it would be nice it they could fix colorcasting with legacy rangefinder lens but also maybe a more powerful bioz processor to control noise at higher ISO, and hence allow the auto ISO to go above 1600.

Michiel Schierbeek

BTW There are still enough wide angle lenses (not super wide) out there which do perform well on the NEX-7.
I like the C/Y Zeiss 18/4 28/2.8 and the Minolta/Canon FD 20/2.8, 24/2.8, 28/2. And there are Olympus OM lenses as well in that range.
And of course the Sigma lenses

A lot of those lenses together makes the price of a Sony/Zeiss 24.

Michiel

jonoslack

How much "more more more better better better better" is needed to escape the circle of reflex equipment acquisition and do photography?
Oh - much more than this!:deadhorse:

A simple answer is to get an M9 - after which everything seems moot . .. but the effect doesn't last forever :p

But I kind of agree with Marc on this one - there was also a telling remark by David Kilpatrick to the effect that Sony were much more interested in new users than their existing users.

all the best