The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is the NEX system winding down?

Jim DE

;) ...... I raise my arm high as far as chasing technology throughout most of my years in photography. I plead guilty as charged ;)

The sad thing is that nearly all of them KNOW it's rarely ever the hardware that makes the difference but continue to grasp for the gold ring while riding full blast on the techno junkie merry go round. GAS is addicting and is a fix that never seems to satisfy only accelerate our need to chase the latest and greatest.

Without question 90% or more of those we see on this treadmill could take a great photo with a wooden box, a sheet of 4x5 film, and pinhole drilled through one side. They are very accomplished photographers! I guess the chase is what keeps their interest heightened and keeps them in the game. I truly hope they find what they are looking for .......

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Millsart:

it also has a very fast refresh rate (with an option to double it)
how is that activated, please?

I have sold my NEX-7; and will have a bunch of CV lenses for sale when I get back home, too.

I have settled on the OM-D, 12/2, 20/1.7, 25/1.4, and 45/1.8 for now. I will probably get the 7–14/4, and compare side-by-side with the GXR-M and 12/5.6. If the 7-14 works (distortion-wise) in Lr (AFAIK, there is no auto lens correction in Aperture), then I will sell the GXR, too, as well as the CV 12.

One or two minor glitches in the OM-D's setup (thinking of TerryB's posts re. non-sticky setting of the focus rectangle, for example), and a menu that is—interesting—but overall the best package for me. Those lenses are excellent AND have AF that works. The Face Detection is a blessing when shooting children; it works extremely well.

mazor

aawee sad kit, guess new OM-D grreatly out surpassed the Nex 7.Let me know how much you would be wanting for the CV12, hehe

Millsart

Kit, go into the custom setup menu, tab J- "built in EVF" and there is an option for frame rate between "normal" and "high"

High will show a bit more graininess in low light/high ISO though

Millsart

I think that for many, the quest of finding the "perfect" gear, isn't so much done with the idea that the new gear will make them better photographers or anything, but merely part of the fun in that its an excuse to shoot more.

As a guitar player, I know some very talented players who would sound great on darn near any cheapo guitar and amp rig. However, they often are always buying new pickups for their guitars, new effects pedals etc. Its really just to keep things new and fresh and exciting.

I'll be the first to admit that as much as I do love photography, as I do it for a living as well, I don't shoot for pleasure as much as I used to.

However, when I get a new camera, naturally I've got to head out to the park etc to try it out. Its an excuse to get me out and shooting just for fun, under the guise of "testing" new gear, but darn if I don't find myself having fun.

Now, sure, I should probably be able to grab my current gear and go do the same thing, but I find I just don't.

A new camera, a new lenses, etc seems to be the requiring motivation to get me out there shooting for fun and remind my what I love so about the hobby. I think a lot of people are perhaps the same way.

Jim DE

I think your right Millsart...... it is a GAS addiction that keeps the photography enthusiasm juices flowing for many or most in the techno pack. Sad thing is those non pack consumers seeking a single camera to use and enjoy read the packs enthusiasm and see their pics and may go ahead and buy "todays special" only to find out that well maybe it is not "the best camera I have ever owned."

The "pack" has a huge number of fantastic photographers that draw a lot of attention from those looking to emulate them ...... you have to feel sorry for the guys just starting out that buy "today's special" because the pack has blessed this or that camera system only to find a month later that "it's not the best anymore in the packs eye's" and quite honestly the camera they (the noob) bought probably was never the best camera for their need and wants to begin with. I am sure this happens more than we realize.

Personally, I bought my original NEX5 because I enjoyed it and saw it's potential as a universal digital back for any lens I owned. The pack came and left and I still loved my NEX5. Then the pack returned with the 5n and EVF ... I still enjoyed my NEX5. I decided to try the 7 because I had the a77 and liked the base iso resolution and figured the 7 would be even better for my landscape shots with legacy glass. I like my 7 and still use my 5, a33, and a77 each has their own strong points which I use to my advantage when needed. For the first time in many years I am content and actively using my tools not lusting for anything new and exciting........... it too is a great feeling!!!!

douglasf13

As a guitar player, I know some very talented players who would sound great on darn near any cheapo guitar and amp rig. However, they often are always buying new pickups for their guitars, new effects pedals etc. Its really just to keep things new and fresh and exciting.
Man, tell me about it. I used to spend myself into the ground on guitars, pedals and amps. Working at Guitar Center Hollywood in my early 20s sure didn't help! Eventually, I settled on a couple of each and finally got of that GAS train.

Millsart

Man, tell me about it. I used to spend myself into the ground on guitars, pedals and amps. Working at Guitar Center Hollywood in my early 20s sure didn't help! Eventually, I settled on a couple of each and finally got of that GAS train.
I luckily switched to software modeling (Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender and Overloud TH2) so now I can have literally hundreds of different effects pedals, amps, cabs etc, and they often keep updating the software with some new stuff too.

So much cheaper and yet equally satisfying to try a new Ibanez wah model via software as it would be to hunt one down on Ebay.

Usually either way I end up playing with it for an hour and then going back to what I've got LOL

douglasf13

I luckily switched to software modeling (Amplitube 3, Amplitube Fender and Overloud TH2) so now I can have literally hundreds of different effects pedals, amps, cabs etc, and they often keep updating the software with some new stuff too.

So much cheaper and yet equally satisfying to try a new Ibanez wah model via software as it would be to hunt one down on Ebay.

Usually either way I end up playing with it for an hour and then going back to what I've got LOL
Yeah, I was playing live around town for several years, so I was into hand wired pedals, non-master volume amps, and all of that ridiculous stuff. I'm lucky that my ears recovered from those amps...well, I should say mostly recovered. I eventually wised up a bit and stuck with a Bogner Ecstasy, a handful of pedals, and a few guitars. Like with photography, too much choice really starts bogging me down.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
@ mazor: no, the NEX-7 does produce slightly better files, and more tweakable in PP, too, but overall, the IBIS, excellent EVF, and the also excellent lenses mean that (for the first time, for me) the gear is not getting in my way. I will keep this for a while.

And the CV 12 will be up for sale, along with all the GXR gear and quite a few other CV lenses. Should be up on the BS this weekend.

@ Millsart: thanks for that heads-up re. the EVF; can't see any visual differences yet, but will keep an eye on it.

In general, like many here, getting new gear is a buzz, but I have got to the point now where I just want to be able to have something with me all the time, and a single system, at that. And I also have to admit that having used so many systems over the last ten years, I have not become 100% automatic/fluid with any of them (I am talking under production shooting pressure) apart from the D3. But once I moved from that system to the Sony A850, roughly coinciding with the advent of the mirrorless systems maturing, I decided I wanted to intense time and energy trialing and choosing a single system.

It's not perfect, but it's the OM-D for now.

mazor

kit laughlin, good to see you are liking your OM-D. Good to see you are not buying into a single system when you go OM-D, as now you have future options especially if Panasonic bring out models in the future that are appealing to you. :)

kuau

Workshop Member
:OT:
Douglas,
I didn't know you were a rock star also. Way to go.
I use to live walking distance to the Roxy on Sunset Blvd. back in the mid 1980's

Steven

Yeah, I was playing live around town for several years, so I was into hand wired pedals, non-master volume amps, and all of that ridiculous stuff. I'm lucky that my ears recovered from those amps...well, I should say mostly recovered. I eventually wised up a bit and stuck with a Bogner Ecstasy, a handful of pedals, and a few guitars. Like with photography, too much choice really starts bogging me down.

Millsart

I was one of those fools with a JCM800 and a 1960A cabinet that I used to play in the basement. Cranked

Given I'm currently back in school earning a doctorate in Audiology I feel such practices would be looked down upon.

MikalWGrass

After lusting after the Nex 7, the new Fuji, and possibly saving for an M9, I decided to concentrate on my health (being on the camera lust wagon can make one crazy) and buy a concept 2 rowing machine instead. I will continue using the a900 until I can afford another camera or it falls apart.

Wow, I feel better already.

fotografz

After lusting after the Nex 7, the new Fuji, and possibly saving for an M9, I decided to concentrate on my health (being on the camera lust wagon can make one crazy) and buy a concept 2 rowing machine instead. I will continue using the a900 until I can afford another camera or it falls apart.

Wow, I feel better already.
Best camera purchase decision I've read on this entire forum for the last 5 years. :) :thumbup:

-Marc

Jim DE

There in laid the problem with buying into a Olympus system but it looks like Panasonic bought into them which should help their future.

Marc, the 900 is an excellent camera.... And once the "camera of the day" for the pack ;)

MikalWGrass

Jim DE, I would have used my M6s until I died if I remained single or had no kids. My wife is the one who told me I must get a good digital camera because the kids are growing and she wants to post pics on FB.

I am not a professional photographer by any means, but I do need good gear for the photos I take (birthmoms placing their babies for adoption, and adoptive parents seeing their babies for the first time) because I hate flash. I am usually the only person in the room not overwhelmed by what is going on and am counted on to get the shots.

That said, it is now triathlon season and my wife is competing, so I may need to pick up another Sony body (the 850 will be fine for me) so I can get the pictures of her and her friends that THEY want. If I don't get another body, I will be ok because I can shoot sports (or try to shoot sports) with an M6 and 35 or 50. I have nice glass for the Sony (minolta 24/2.8, minolta 85/1.4, minolta 50/1.4, Leica Summilux R 50/1.4, and the pimp daddy of them all, the CZ 135/1.8.) and have most of the focal lengths covered so I don't need more. I had the 24-70/2.8 but I sold it because it was too slow and I don't like zooms.

Jim, the a900 might have been the camera of the day for the pack, and other than its weight, it is still an excellent camera for this lone wolf.

Jim DE

As I told Marc, the 900 is a great camera! Thing is though today its hard to find one that isn't great depending on ones needs and wants. The thing is I have never found one camera that excelled in all the areas of my needs and wants. My solution because my two most done genre's of photography are so opposite is to find 2 or three camera's to use to cover all my bases.

This is what I have done ... I use several cameras. Works for me. Would be nice if one camera covered all my bases but I haven't seen one that could and for sure the OMD doesn't even come close. Make a hybrid d800e/D4 with the low light ability of the D3s in a single body and we might be getting close ;) As long as I don't have to mortgage my first born male child to get it and enough great glass to be effective.

Not asking for much am I ... ;)

Till then I am sticking with my current 4 cameras that are covering all my needs and wants.

D

Dismayed

What is a bit odd, is that when Sony launched the Alpha cameras, there was a relatively complete range of lenses within a short period of time. With NEX, that hasn't happened, and that leaves me totally uninterested in the cameras as well. Maybe NEX isn't winding down, but I do get a feeling that it has never really been winding up.
Sony acquired Minolta, so there was already a large number of lenses available.

Jim DE

I guess Sony is dragging their feet on NEX specific glass because they may see with offering two types of A to NEX adapters they have essentially opened up all the current A mount glass to the NEX system.

I know what you mean though and I don't disagree but I don't use the glass they have already offered either opting for a few great pieces of legacy glass for most all my needs. So for me unless they offer NEX specific lenses that surpass what my legacy glass can do I won't be using them either.

I own the 16 with both aux lenses, the 30 sig, 18-55 kit lens which all usually sit collecting dust in the backpack.