The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

G Lens a pancake?

jsparks

I'm actually pretty disappointed. I don't have a Nex 7 yet, I was waiting for a few more lenses, particularly the G zoom and the fast normal lens that are both suppose to come this year.

I was hoping the G zoom would be something similar to the Alpha 16-80 (not too big but not tiny, not too slow and at least 60mm on the long end) and instead we get a lens that isn't long enough and is very slow. I would like a pancake lens, but would prefer something like a 30 f/2.0 (or even f/2.8 if necessary to keep the quality up and size small) prime, not a zoom that is too slow and larger than the 30mm prime would be anyway.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
What about the spectacular and dirt-cheap Sigma 30/2.8? Everyone seems happy with that; I know I am. I am not a fan of zooms, but would buy this one, and team it with the 50/1.8.

douglasf13

What about the spectacular and dirt-cheap Sigma 30/2.8? Everyone seems happy with that; I know I am. I am not a fan of zooms, but would buy this one, and team it with the 50/1.8.
+1. It may not be built like a rock, but the Sigma 30 is so good optically that I'll probably debate whether to even buy the Sony 35/1.8, whenever it arrives. Granted, it'll likely only be a few hundred bucks, so I'm sure I'll eventually own both of them.

alphaman

The G-pancake zoom may not be everyone's cup of tea, but provided that it is optically good quality and not in the Zeiss 24mm price bracket, I can see it being popular, especially if it is black.

I wish that Sony was more like Olympus in the approach they have to nice looking, top quality lenses for the 4/3rds line ... but they're not. Funnily enough, I don't mind their silver lenses as they look the part. Now how about that nice 75mm 1.8?

Taylor Sherman

I don't believe that with one lens they'll be fulfilling three spots on the roadmap - Standard Zoom, G Standard Zoom, and Pancake. And people also seem to be expecting/hoping it's under $500.

A 16-50 with better quality than the kit, in a compact power-zoom package, with OSS? And not expensive?

Who knows.

But I'm guessing that either parts of the rumor are false, or there will be more than one new lens announced.

mazor

The G-pancake zoom may not be everyone's cup of tea, but provided that it is optically good quality and not in the Zeiss 24mm price bracket, I can see it being popular, especially if it is black.

I wish that Sony was more like Olympus in the approach they have to nice looking, top quality lenses for the 4/3rds line ... but they're not. Funnily enough, I don't mind their silver lenses as they look the part. Now how about that nice 75mm 1.8?
Correct me if I am wrong but the G pancake zoom having good "optical" output due to alot of software correction in both the panny and olympus. Ultimately there has to be a sacrifice when making a zoom lens that small. I suspect pannys way is to correct for barrel/pincushion, ca and vignetting all software, so what you see is an amazing result similar to ED glass found in nikon and L series Canons but in a fraction of the size. So in that case can we really say the G series pancake zoom is optically good, or rather clever pancake design and clever software.

Joe S

This sounds like a great and obvious direction. I think they will sell a ton if the quality is there and the price is reasonable. This would finally make the Nex 7 a walk around pocketable-ish camera with an autofocus. Should become the kit lens. I have been using mine happily with a 35 Summicron but there are times I want autofocus. Exciting news!

alphaman

Don't forget that this information has come from a well known rumor site and may well prove to completely fictitious. Time alone will tell...

Joe S

True, but it was rated an SR5 or almost certainly correct so odds are very good. Hopefully it is good, compact and affordable.