The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How to eliminate accidental videos: NEX 7

hot

I am using (very cheap) ArcaSwiss compatible plates for my cameras - ready for tripod

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I had already covered my video button with a small metal washer and gaffers tape, but was intrigued by Robert's (monza) solution. I ordered some black Sugru. This is the result. I applied the Sugru and let it set overnight. The next day I photographed an event and the camera never went into record mode, even with my Sony 43 flash attached (which changes the balance). I have been using it since then and it has held up well. It really looks better than it shows in the photo, but I'm sure it could be improved upon.

Dan Berg

Wonder what the design team of this beautiful camera is thinking about all this video button hoopla back in Japan?
Cannot imagine this cannot be fixed somehow.
Hit my video button less and less these days but have to watch my thumb very closely.
I have the D800E and Nex 7 and to tell you the truth I would pay to take the video out of both.
Maybe I will find a use for it eventually.

Dan

www.bergscanvasgallery.com

Last edited:

Jim DE

Dan I feel the same ..... I wish they all would allow us to deactivate or reprogram our video buttons. If I wanted to do video I would of bought a video camera......

hot

Hmmm, I hit this red-eyed button in last half year accidently THREE TIMES.
I do not need an update - NEX7 is full okay.

If I wanted to do video I would of bought a video camera.
Haha, joke of the day! :D

Jim DE

Hot, it was not meant to be humorous ... It is how I feel. If I wanted to do videos I would buy a camera built from the ground up to do nothing but videos. I am not a fan of compromises in anything including dual purpose camera systems. Unfortunately, the current trend is to make these dual purpose cameras so those of us that don't want , desire, or give a rats *** about videography are stuck having to work our way around record buttons placed in high usage areas of our still camera bodies.

Because you personally have no issue with this I say good for you! For the rest of us it is at best an annoyance that could be eliminated with firmware so why voice a opposing viewpoint that the changes we want would have no effect on how you currently choose to use your camera but would allow those of us who want to to turn the record button off or set it to something we would like to use.

You remind me of those posters that can't understand photographers wanting auto ISO ability in manual for things like BIF photography. They want to argue against it but what we are asking for they can just elect not to select and would not change anything they currently do. It's people like that that are the real bad joke of the day.

hot

You cannot stop development ... each camera supports video. That's good so.

I have a phone ONLY for speaking & SMS - even if millions use smartphones.
Try to get a camera without video (haha)

Jim DE

The list of cameras without video is endless in medium format digital and digital backed tech camera catagory of cameras. Fortunately the dual purpose mentality consumer has not entered that higher priced market yet but probably will some day if prices get closer to FF format camera prices.

But getting back on point I see no reason not to offer the consumer the option to lock, turn off, or reprogram a nuisance button that they never plan on using and causes them issues when accidentally activated while handling the camera.

I have a NEX5, NEX7, a33, and a77 and have accidentally activated the record button on all of them at one time or another AND have never intentionally shot a video on any of them either. The NEX7 has been accidentally activated far more and the others primarily as I shoot waist level or lower a lot with this camera and my thumb often hits the record button when handling in this manner.

Please Sony let us disable or reprogram this button......... what would it hurt?

Jim DE

Finally a gentleman named Rick Luther has machined a add on part that totally eliminated accidental activation of the video button on the NEX 7. It installs under the rubber grip and fits inside the access hole to the video button creating a higher bezel.

Took me less than 2 minute to install and you really have to try to activate the video button for it to turn on and off. Problem solved for $20 USD....... life is good! ;)

Google "The Guard" or R Luther Company in NM USA ..... I got one and it works flawlessly.

hot

Hmmm, when I bought NEX7 in January I hit 3x randomly video button. Since January neeeeever. Someone must have a special talent to not-learn. But for $ 19.90 you pay teaching money and make a jump of joy .... life is mad.

iiiNelson

@hot I think everyone gets your point that the NEX-7 body is perfectly ergonomic for your hands. if you don't have these problems with the NEX-7 then that's great. For the others it's a valid and inexpensive body mod to HELP USERS WITH THE PROBLEM. I have issues personally with hitting the movie button on the NEX-5 from time to time myself. I have large hands and the video button placement is poor IMO. I never have this problem with the M9 though. Go figure.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Jim DE, Thank you. I'm buying one!

Hot, Hired Arm is right. You are getting a little tiresome when it comes to this button. I find your quote: " Someone must have a special talent to not-learn." to be insulting. We don't all have the same size hands. My small hands do have a problem with the button.

Jim DE

Cindy, glad you found this info helpful. I don't pay a bit of attention to Hot on this as I have heard his rhetoric and don't care if he has an issue with the video button or not. I use my 7 at waist level with the LCD screen flipped out a lot using my thumb to trigger the shutter and consistently accidently hit the video button while handling it a few times nearly every outing I use it waist level. If the 7 was the only camera I use I might of programmed myself to avoid it but I use many different camera's near daily. Fortunately, now this problem is over as I learned of Rick's fix and payed $20 for the part to eliminate it as an annoyance ever again ;)

I am sure you found out Ricks unusual way of doing business. Until he gets set up for credit cards he just asks for your name and address and will send you the part with a return envelope for either the return of the part or payment. I was writing my check 5 minutes after I installed it. Anyone with that much trust in human nature deserves to get paid promptly in my book.

emr

I had never heard of this Sugru stuff. Is it something new? Had to google it. Looks interesting.

V

Vivek

I am not buying any "solutions". All the little gizmos specific to a model are waste of money IME.

Sony themselves realized the problem with the video button and have placed it elsewhere in the NEX-6.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Sugru is a wonderful product. Monza put me onto it, but now I am using it for all kinds of "fixes". I put very small balls of Sugru on some of the buttons on my A77. It has stayed on them through a lot of shooting. It makes them easier for me to "feel" because it adds a rubbery element. I also put it on a couple of my camera plates to cushion and improve fit.

I had never heard of this Sugru stuff. Is it something new? Had to google it. Looks interesting.
Jim, my Guard is on the way. Rick has been great to communicate with.

iiiNelson

Richard I don't think people are easily insulted here at all but this is generally an extremely civil forum for lovers of photography - no matter the system.

Most of us have our favorite brands but most of us own various brands. I personally use system cameras in 4 different native mounts (M, Alpha, Sony E, and Micro 4/3.) Repeating how you don't have a particular issue and telling people why they shouldn't have that issue since they don't is a bit narrow minded at best. There are more important things to focus on and the very nature of this thread was to provide an alternative and cheap work around. That's the spirit of this forum in general - photographers checking their ego and discussing the love of life and photography no matter the skill level. If people want to be fanboys or be "snooty" there are several other boards full of that. I would never tell someone to leave because it's not my place to suggest such things to any member but I can say that not many people here from the top down come here to dwell in drama.