The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Big "DUH" moment!

fotografz

No matter how experience you are, there can be those moments when you are clinically brain dead.

So, I started using the HLV-58 speed-lights off-camera at wedding receptions triggered by some pass through Sony mount TTL Strato-II radios.

I keep running into the remote off-camera light shutting down ... which I mistakenly attribute to thermal shut down because the speed-light is on manual and firing full out-put ... which has happened to me a number of times before.

Missed a few great shots because of this.

Then it dawns on me that I'm not shooting that rapidly, so it shouldn't be shutting down so often ... and it is probably a "power save" setting doing it.

DUH! :facesmack:

Yep, go into the custom settings and it's set to shut down in 30 seconds. Set it to never shut down. Problem solved.

What an idiot. :banghead:

Here the type of stuff I'm doing with these inexpensive radios ... which are WAY more reliable than the line-of-sight buillt-in inferred trigger.

-Marc

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Marc, Isn't the 58 supposed to "wake up" from the power save mode, even when using the Phottix Strato II?

fotografz

Marc, Isn't the 58 supposed to "wake up" from the power save mode, even when using the Phottix Strato II?
Guess not.

If you go into the manual, there are two custom menu sections regarding sleep mode. One is C-06, which provides a couple of different time options, and the other is C-07 for wireless (Sony's wireless) which is either 60 minutes or never. So, it'll go to sleep even with Sony's own wireless, unless told not to.

I set both to "never" just to be sure.

But hey, I already said I'm brain dead, so maybe I'm missing something. ???

-Marc

Jim DE

We all have those moment which unfortunately come at the worst times. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I have kicked myself ...