The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Strange but true- NEX

V

Vivek

The NEX-5N' shutter unit has 3 holes (for screws) for it to be secured to the plastic frame (body) but there is literally no room in the frame for the screws and is held by just a single screw!

NEX-7 has that few mm on top and the shutter unit (not different than the ones in 5N') is secured by 3 screws to the thin plastic frame.

Last edited:

mazor

haha you saying the 5n sensor may come loose eventually with a single screw attachment and if this screw loostens the 5n sensor focal plane may change or maybe tilt even lol. free tilte sensor design!

V

Vivek

The sensor is secured with 4 screws. It is the shutter assembly (probably the heaviest unit in the whole cam* and the only one that has moving parts) that is put there with a single screw!

* or it could be the mount that is heavier.

Crikey I hope my Nex-5n holds up when I take it to Burma. I wonder how much it would cost to repair it, if such a problem developed?

V

Vivek

Since I have a broken NEX-5N (cracked body from a fall and the shutter mechanism is beyond repair), I could examine it as I please.

Interestingly, the crack occurred in the bottom front portion of the body. No plastic parts were affected.

I was curious. The front portion of the NEX-5N looks like plastic, extremely light weight but scratches like metal.

It is just an astonishing material that I have not encountered before. It appears to be cast aluminum foam. Aluminum metal with air content somewhere between 70 to 98% by weight!