The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
Keeping the 7 and selling the fuji. The 7 is more functional with my Leica lenses. I use it as a backup and in poor light situations where the M9's limited high ISO capacity starts to bind.

Joe S

Great camera, still love it.

But

Sony please update your firmware which needs help, especially the stupid ill placed movie button.

mazor

sony should make an option for like a double press to record, and single press to pause recording for their next firmware eh

hot

Each one has other wishes - why not buy the RIGHT camera?
I never had desire for Olympus OMD (my first digital camera, years ago, was Olympus) - my LUMIXes fullfill all what OMD has (for half price, hehe)

NEX7 is the culminating thing I waited 5 years for. No wishes, no updates ... PEEEERFECT! 30 lenses in use, that's more than enough ... ;-)

once set up and used for a bit, you won't need to dig into menus except for a few items.

use the thumb rest. I grab the camera thumb rest first to avoid the video button.

1.5x is better than 2x crop factor for me.

1080p 60 or 24 fps is excellent.

evf and focus peaking are wonderful, I could never nail focus with the 5d. the evf helps me a lot.

mazor

Aside from the news reported here: President Hiroyuki Sasa says E-M5 sensor is from Sony! | 43 Rumors

one of the comments is quite intriguing- The OM-D's IQ will never be better than that of a NEX (due to the sheer size difference of the sensors).
that is for now, eventually in the future there may manufacture MFT sensors to a level where it would be almost indistinguishable to the eye, and when that day comes, say E-m10 or something similar, the larger APS-C advantage will be no more.

alba63

that is for now, eventually in the future there may manufacture MFT sensors to a level where it would be almost indistinguishable to the eye, and when that day comes, say E-m10 or something similar, the larger APS-C advantage will be no more.
If Oly stays with Sony, the quality will always be the same as APS-c sensors, except that they are quite a bit smaller & therefore file quality lesser. If they do not stay with Sony, they will hardly find another manufacturer that makes sensors as good as the Sonys.

Apart from that I believe that the OM-D has already enough IQ for normal shooting. I just prefer the look of larger sensors, APS-c being the minimum, you will not get the same smoothness in the transition of sharp to unsharp, in many cases anything like subject isolation will be hard. It is already not easy on the Nex.

In general it is obvious that new cameras and whole systems have been coming out all the time and will continue to do so permanently. I for myself try to settle with 2 systems (one DSLR, one mirrorless) even if newer ones are better in terms of features, responsiveness etc. It will never end, and I doubt that the guys (eveybody knows them in the forums) who burn through 2 completely different systems per year will find their holy grail anytime soon.

I recently read a very interesting interview with a german sociologist who wrote several books about acceleration as a general phenomenon in modern civilisation: We get more choices every year, and they come and go always faster. When you take a step back and look for a while, it is obvious that more choices (and more goods purchased) will not make you happier.

Sorry for that philosophical sidenote...

Cheers
Bernie

V

Vivek

What? :eek:

How can we have new "fun with.." threads then? :shocked:

douglasf13

Ultimately, I think bottom line in non-Leica M mirrorless is:

-Olympus OM-D has IBIS, fastest CDAF and m4/3 lens selection

-Nikon 1 has the fastest AF overall (PDAF)

-Fuji X-P1 has cool OVF (so does X100) and best high ISO

-Fuji X100 has cool OVF (so does X-P1,) leaf shutter and built-in ND (and, IMO, the best form factor)

-Sony NEX-7 has best EVF (debatable, but generally considered true,) low to mid ISO, and manual focus capabilities (about the same as GXR)

-Panasonic has best video mode and m4/3 lens selection

-GXR works best with M lenses and has best manual focus capabilities (about the same as NEX-7)

-Sony NEX-5N, while not being among the best at anything, necessarily, is very small and pretty good at everything

So... IMO, what I need is an X100 with interchangeable lenses, IBIS, on-sensor PDAF, high res EVF, high end video mode, focus peaking, a touchscreen, and a 24mp Sony sensor with GXR sensor toppings (some may prefer X-trans.) Heck, while we're at it, make it a 35mm sensor! LOL :)

For now, I'm shooting primarily the X100, and I'm supplementing it with the NEX-7, when I need more flexibility or resolution, which, honestly, isn't that often. At the end of the day, all of these cameras provide ample image quality, so I'm using what feels good right now.

woodmancy

Subscriber Member
So... IMO, what I need is an X100 with interchangeable lenses, IBIS, on-sensor PDAF, high res EVF, high end video mode, focus peaking, a touchscreen, and a 24mp Sony sensor with GXR sensor toppings (some may prefer X-trans.) Heck, while we're at it, make it a 35mm sensor! LOL :)
I have a gut-feeling that the company that may deliver the nearest to your wish-list maybe Pentax/Ricoh

Keith

douglasf13

I hope you're right, Keith, although I think the concept of the GXR is a bit off, in terms of paying for a new sensor for each lens (outside of the M module,) and the Q and K-01 are far away from anything I'd be interested in. The kicker would be the hybrid EVF/OVF, which I'm not too confident will come from anyone other than Fuji.

KenLee

As someone new to decent digital cameras, I have found it delightful: small and light enough to fit in a large pocket, big sensor, large dynamic range, legacy lenses, focus peaking, image stabilization - at a reasonable price point. There are lots of very sharp and affordable legacy lenses out there, like the old Pentax 50mm used to make the photo below. We don't need to spend foolishly to take advantage of the 24MP sensor - especially when so many shots with this sort of camera are hand-held. If we crop off the corners and shoot at 8x10 or 11x14 ratio, image quality goes even higher :)

alba63

As someone new to decent digital cameras, I have found it delightful: small and light enough to fit in a large pocket, big sensor, large dynamic range, legacy lenses, focus peaking, image stabilization - at a reasonable price point.
Yes, we forget so quickly. As little as 12 years ago - around 2000 - most shot still with film or crappy overpriced 0,7 MP compact cameras (a few had DLSRs with 2MP for 20.000 bucks).
A well executed Nex-7 shot with a good lens (let's say a Contax G 45mm lens for 250 bucks) can rival a medium format quality in terms of DR; resolution and colour, available within 1- 2 hours as a large print from you home printer (like my Epson 3800).
The camera/ lens combo costs little over 1000 (I even paid less), weighs almost nothing compared to anything in the traditional photo world and looks like a fu*****ng toy.

Never ever before such incredible quality has been so affordable and available as today. And yet people keep on complaining :)

Well, it cannot prepare a hot cup of coffe, give you a hug, transmit TV channels or make phone calls. It even doesn't find good shots by itself. Well I knew I had forgotten something :banghead:

Guess I will have to throw it on Ebay...

Bernie

Terry

Never ever before such incredible quality has been so affordable and available as today. And yet people keep on complaining :)

Bernie
I really don't think people here were complaining but more just talking about their preferences in their favorite tools. I think pretty much everyone here would agree that the quality we get from most newer cameras is astounding and now it is becoming a matter of your own personal shooting style as what is the best fit.

Millsart

Expectations change with the times. Sure I paid around $4000 for a 4meg Canon 1D back in the day but I darn well expect more than what it could deliver these days.

Its the same with cars or tv's etc. We don't still watch on a 27" analog CRT with wood cabinet even though that might of been top of the line. We don't still drive cars without seatbelts, airbags, fuel injection, a/c etc either.

I'm sure as well that whatever is top of the line as far as cameras goes today is hardly going to be worth mentioning 5 years from now.

Sony NEX7, Olympus EM-5 etc ? Probably worth $50 on Ebay for more of a kitsch appeal than anything because who knows what type of crazy adaptive liquid optics we may be shooting in the future.

Best to just enjoy what you've got today in the here and now because worrying about old tech, as well as new tech doesn't really accomplish much