The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-7, what's the verdict now?

bcm

I'm still very happy with my NEX 7. My biggest gripe is that the EVF becomes very grainy in low light making it hard to manually focus (at least with my eyes). That's about it.

I think it's a great package for it's size and it will do me until someone comes up with a FF mirrorless camera.

emr

Thanks everybody. Right now I'm really really torn between the NEX-7 and the OM-D. A nearby half-decent store even has both in stock (1199,90 € for the NEX with the kit zoom, 1299,90 € for the OM-D with the kit zoom). In addition to still photography, I'd shoot video every now and then. Like sometimes when my daughter has a swimming competition or something. Judging by the Dpreview, it seems that the NEX has the better video implementation. Especially for me living in the 50 Hz TV area. A Panasonic GH2 would be best for video I guess, but had one and didn't like it that much. I wonder if Olympus has any plans of improving the video in future firmware upgrades?

Then again, the OM-D has IBIS for all the manual lenses.

Oh, boy.

douglasf13

Emr, I probably wouldn't worry too much about the differences in video, unless you're doing some kind of work for broadcast or something.

emr

I went to the local gadget pusher today and gave both the NEX-7 and the OM-D a try. I have to say that while it was possible to hold the OM-D, the grip was uncomfortably small for my size 8 claws. Of course I could add a proprietary or third party grip. The NEX-7 on the other hand was much more comfortable and natural to hold.

It was also interesting to see that while many people have liked the Olympus UI and not so much liked the Sony one, in just a short try without reading any manuals before or anything, I actually felt the opposite. Pushing a button on the NEX opened the "operating system menu" and most things were found there. On the other hand, on the Olympus there were cryptic looking buttons which I failed to activate or they did something quite different from what I'd expected. I'm sure both cameras would be quite nice to use after some experience though.

The NEX built-in flash felt so fragile that can't imagine using it and not breaking it within weeks.

Jugding the looks and the form factor are quite subjective. I guess many like the retro SLR looks of the OM-D, but I'd prefer something looking more like a rangefinder (even though I have never even touched one). The fake prism space (probably housing the EVF) makes the camera body protrude somewhat. In looks and form factor, I prefer the NEX.

Being a eyeglass user, the NEX EVF seemed to demand the firm contact to turn on, while with the Olympus one it was enough that I was a bit further.

Still don't know which I prefer on the whole, but I'm a little turning to the NEX side right now. Perhaps I'll just take a time-out now.

emr

Thanks again. Just one more question. The NEX-7 is worse than for example the NEX -5N with wide Leica M lenses. That has been mentioned in this thread and I have seen some comparison pictures too. But does that only affect lenses with very short flange focal distances or all the wide angles? I'd assume different optical challenges apply with a 20mm Leica M lens and say, a 20mm Pentax K lens which has a flange focal distance that is nearly 20mm longer. Or is there a difference in this regard?

douglasf13

It's only with symmetrical, wide angle rangefinder lenses. So most Biogons, several of the Leicas that are 35mm or wider, etc.

KenLee

It's only with symmetrical, wide angle rangefinder lenses. So most Biogons, several of the Leicas that are 35mm or wider, etc.
Do those same lenses perform well on other APS-C sensors ? In other words, is it the size of the sensor combined with lenses of short or retrofocus design (and hence the extreme angle of light reaching the sensor), or something about the sensor itself ?

emr

As the 5N works somewhat better with the same mount and flange focal length, there must be something about the sensor.

Rurouni

I went to the local gadget pusher today and gave both the NEX-7 and the OM-D a try. I have to say that while it was possible to hold the OM-D, the grip was uncomfortably small for my size 8 claws. Of course I could add a proprietary or third party grip. The NEX-7 on the other hand was much more comfortable and natural to hold.

It was also interesting to see that while many people have liked the Olympus UI and not so much liked the Sony one, in just a short try without reading any manuals before or anything, I actually felt the opposite. Pushing a button on the NEX opened the "operating system menu" and most things were found there. On the other hand, on the Olympus there were cryptic looking buttons which I failed to activate or they did something quite different from what I'd expected. I'm sure both cameras would be quite nice to use after some experience though.

The NEX built-in flash felt so fragile that can't imagine using it and not breaking it within weeks.

Jugding the looks and the form factor are quite subjective. I guess many like the retro SLR looks of the OM-D, but I'd prefer something looking more like a rangefinder (even though I have never even touched one). The fake prism space (probably housing the EVF) makes the camera body protrude somewhat. In looks and form factor, I prefer the NEX.

Being a eyeglass user, the NEX EVF seemed to demand the firm contact to turn on, while with the Olympus one it was enough that I was a bit further.

Still don't know which I prefer on the whole, but I'm a little turning to the NEX side right now. Perhaps I'll just take a time-out now.
I have the same views as yourself. The EVF on the Nex7 demands firmer contact with my glasses to stay on continuously. That being said, the mag size of the image in the EVF is easily comparable to that of a D700 whereas in the OMD the size is more comparable to say a D70.

I'm leaning towards the NEX7 partially because of this, the fact that I have some lenses from my older NEX5, and at some focal lengths I need a thinner DOF which I found that I was not really getting with m43..

Beyond that both are really nice cameras! :) Shall do more research : P

douglasf13

These symmetrical wide lenses really perform well on the GXR, which has no AA filter, and, allegedly, a different micro lens arrangement, although I'd bet it is mostly just the lack of AA filter. The 5N and 7's sensors likely have similar AA filter and micro lens arrangements, but my guess would be that the smaller pixel size causes the issues with the 7. There are still issues with various wides on the 5N, but they aren't as pronounced. I still needed to use CornerFix with my ZM 35/2 on the 5N.

Paratom

I (still) own both and have to say the OMD feels better with the additional grip which I allways use. I recommend to check it out when you compare the cameras.
In the end I will probably stay with the OMD, because this is an additional camera for me to bigger cams. For my use the OMD has the advantages being weatherproof and feeling more solid, being faster AF, and offering more flexible (and smaller) lens options for such a camera.
Having said that I also find the Nex to be a fine camera and I would give it the edge in IQ.
I am not using third party lenses on those cams - if Iwanted to I would prefer the Nex with focus peaking.
Both very fine cams, I just think the Nex feels more fragile while the OMD feels like one can treat it a little worse (which is impoortant for me because I bring it for outdoor activities often)

Do those same lenses perform well on other APS-C sensors ? In other words, is it the size of the sensor combined with lenses of short or retrofocus design (and hence the extreme angle of light reaching the sensor), or something about the sensor itself ?
with your b&w work I don't think it would matter.

fotomeow

I am still impressed with the 7! It has a little bit of everything, is small and light, with fill flash and great EVF, though OVF is still my favorite. I mainly come from a rangefinder background, can't take the weight and size of even "smaller" dSLRs. But the 7 has some features of a dSLR that I do want right now, such as the fill flash.
With all the GAS and digital rot and buy and sell every 6 months, I can say that the 7 will be a keeper for awhile. I use mainly with Leica/CV/Zeiss glass. I will say that, one of the main reasons I like the 7 so much is the Zeiss lens made specifically for the 7. This lens is kinda big, but I dont use the hood, its too damn big. I put a UV filter on the front, and find that the MRC coating of the lens is good enough to thwart most situations that flare might present itself.

Quentin_Bargate

We need more lenses for the system. Otherwise, good camera. Just ordered a Sony RX100 for true shirt-pocket portability and near Nex-7 quality (apparently), which was my original justification for getting a Nex-7 (smallest high quality camera with 20+mp). I somehow suspect that my Nex-7 might get squeezed between any new high mp full frame dslr that Sony may eventually release and the RX100, but in the meantime I expect the NEX-7 to remain a regular companion on photo outings.

KenLee

Rose, 2012
35-105mm Zoom Nikkor (~1984)​

The one thing I would really like to see is a preview which actually shows you what you're going to see as you adjust the exposure compensation. Perhaps I'm missing something, but even my little Canon point&shoot lets you do that. Even so, it's stupifying how small and light this camera is: the ratio of size to MP is formidable.

jlm

Workshop Member
i have been a bit of a dilettante; have been happily using the OMD, the Nex languishing. Picked up the Nex today, it is nice all over again, just different!