The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hot shoe for NEX5, NEX5N, ...

V

Vivek

Could you decipher the schematic diagram to explain which lead is for what?
(I want to add a flash connection socket directly on a NEX-C3)

1 UNREG and 7 LOGIC_VDD - where do they connect to in a strobe? Thanks!

hot

It seems to have same function :)
Shadow thing for $ 79.99 is much too expensive!
For same money you get a good pocket camera!

mazor

i am getting one! thx hot. only difference is that I need a screw driver on hand to attach or detech the msa-10. The shadow seems to be user screwable

hot

Could you decipher the schematic diagram to explain which lead is for what?
(I want to add a flash connection socket directly on a NEX-C3)

1 UNREG and 7 LOGIC_VDD - where do they connect to in a strobe? Thanks!
;) it's not my invention ...

F

fabianbono

;) it's not my invention ...
It is mine!!! :thumbs:

The difference between both adapters shown, is one have PC Sync port, cheap one is just shoe connection.
And first one is reported that uses a not good screw, hopefully the cheap one have one better.

You can find my original post and full info about to mod the original HVL-F7S flash on

Success PC Port output on HVL-F7S (Sony NEX) without PREFLASH!!!

Hot Shoe on HVLF7S, and ready for Wireless trigger. Screen bright solved!!!

Sony NEX C3 + Yongnuo YN560II + Leather Diffusor, the best!!!

fabianbono
BonoF's photosets on Flickr

V

Vivek

Thanks for the links, Fabian! And, welcome! :)

(The threads there are a mess with no clarity whatsoever, I must mention.)

mazor

Just received my MSA-10. It is very compact, and connects perfectly and fits tight. The screw connection requires a flat head screwdriver to tighten the adapter onto the nex camera. Fortunately, the adapter comes with such a screwdriver, one that is compact enough to fit into ones camera bag if the adapter is needed to be removed frequently.

Using my 580EX and 24-105L IS works well, and the flash although heavy, does not feel like it is straining on the adapter, and does not flex with the top heavy flash unit.

The best mode I found for using this setup is "M" whereby one sets a preset shutter speed and ISO, whist changing aperture and flash power manually to get correct flash exposure.

This indeed is ma much cheaper solution than getting the shadow version of this adapter, and with the exception of the PC port, the MSA-10 will work just as well, if not better having a perfect connection to the NEX, plus a much more attractive price.

Here is an image of msa-10 mounted with 580EX on top. Who needs mirrorless Canon eh, hehe

Last edited:

hot

Also: today arrived :p

How mazor said: fits perfect (screwdriver is toooo small, hehe) and is black like my NEX5. Some tests with YONGNUO, wireless and ringflash. All okay!

photos with NEX5 - out of camera

hot

Samples with NEX5 + hotshoe + Yongnuo YN460-II - out of camera, MANUAL mode M

NEX5 + (cheap, old) Bilora ringflash

Last edited:

monza

True, although a young elephant is not of any use to me. :)

Glad to see this, I use the NEX 5 for all my studio photos. Been using a hack for too long...

mazor

nice hot!, impressive sample of pics using high flash syncs. Funny how we both received our msa-10 on gthe same day

hot

mazor

well guess there is not too much different with msa-10 over msa-6 apart from extra PCB terminal connector and wiring to the glash trigger points.

Suspect the replacement model for MSA-6 is MSA-10.

Thanks to this fancy little gadget, now I do not have to worry about shadow casting which happened when using the stock flash with my 24-105, as the 24-105 was way too big for it.