The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 7 Wish

W

wisconsinpat

On Photozone.de the sony lenses for the nex7 have very poor ratings for optical quality. Why can't they come out with some lenses that thak a great crisp photo?? Perhaps a 4-5 star rating??
Great camera terrible lens.
There is a new alpha lens they just releases a-mount 18-250 looks great but sony's warning disclaimer with full frame cameras can only realize 11mp. That sucks.
If anyone hears of a great SHARP lens for the nex 7 Prefer 16mm or 16mm to++++ zoom, please let me know [email protected]

hot

People cry, whine, have thousands wishes, search/beg for 10 updates ...

WHY do they not buy ANOTHER camera?

Ouuuuhhh, YOU are the lazy guy who wants information by mail .... :D

douglasf13

On Photozone.de the sony lenses for the nex7 have very poor ratings for optical quality. Why can't they come out with some lenses that thak a great crisp photo?? Perhaps a 4-5 star rating??
Great camera terrible lens.
There is a new alpha lens they just releases a-mount 18-250 looks great but sony's warning disclaimer with full frame cameras can only realize 11mp. That sucks.
If anyone hears of a great SHARP lens for the nex 7 Prefer 16mm or 16mm to++++ zoom, please let me know [email protected]
You may want to look at these lensrentals.com tests, where they have multiple samples to compare. LensRentals.com - NEX-7 Lens Imatest Results

C

curious80

People cry, whine, have thousands wishes, search/beg for 10 updates ...

WHY do they not buy ANOTHER camera?

Ouuuuhhh, YOU are the lazy guy who wants information by mail .... :D
Because there is no other camera which combines such a sensor in such a body. It is natural that people want good lenses for it, I don't see whats wrong with that

alphaman

Sony are a truly weird company; they produce a great camera like the NEX7 which has appeal to amateur and professional photographers alike and then issue a set of lenses (with the exception of the 24mm and perhaps the 50mm) that one could only describe as "budget". To cap it all, they do not improve the situation but "fiddle whilst Rome burns" and let the competition get ahead. It's a kind of commercial suicide with all the effects of a much hammed up dying swan routine to boot!

To add to the pain we feel, try actually getting hold some of the lenses we have been promised (in the UK anyway), where most have been out of stock almost continually for months and months.

Perhaps Sony will announce some more lenses at Photokina to be released sometime in 2013 (2015 if we're lucky) but when will we see them in the shops (I mean which decade????)

Whoever is in charge of getting the NEX stuff out should be fired.

C

curious80

I have used Sony DSLRs starting from A100 and thats how sony is. Being an advanced user in Sony camp is always a cause of heartache :) Sony is great at churning out product after product in the entry-level category. For the advanced user they will surprise you with a great product but then leave you hanging for years after that :)

Back in 2007 Sony surprised alpha users by giving them A700 as the second body after the A100. But then after that Sony released no less than 8 entry level DSLRs as people waited and waited for the mythical A700 successor which never really came (they had A200, A230, A290, A300, A330, A350, A380, A390). Even the mid-level level a500 didn't come until 2009 by which time Sony already had 7 entry level bodies. By the time Sony eventually released the eventual A700 successor as A77, they had released "15" entry to upper-entry level DSLRs and DSLTs between A700 and A77. And then there is the A900 which they announced at start of 2007 but it came more than 1.5 years later towards end of 2008. And of course it has now been 4 years since that launch.

So with Sony you have to wait for your turn when they get time to address your need in between all the beginner models that they are busy with. Thats how it is. The only silver lining is that they do eventually come through and give you a nice product.

pegelli

On the A900/850 the 18-250 only gives a 11 MP (cropped) picture, but on the A77 and/or Nex 7 it delivers the full 24 MP on APS-C. I think you're confusing two different things.

For sharp lenses try the Sigma 19/2.8 or 30/2.8 and the Sony 24/1.8 CZ. I've not tested the Sigma's, but heard great stories about them and I was able to test the 24 and it's razor sharp.

hot

Because there is no other camera which combines such a sensor in such a body.
Hmmm, there are 4.999 good (other) cameras. There are no bad cameras - only BAD PHOTOGRAPHERS!

PS: I have NEX7 and I use it with 30 (very good) lenses.
PPS: Iiiiiiii have no wishes for a "better" NEX7 :p

alba63

For real world photography, I find photozone.de close to useless. Those are very technical reviews, many if not most lenses get mediocre to bad ratings, although in some cases I know that they give very nice results.

Example: They give the Sony SEL 50/1,8 only 2,5 stars out of 5, optically. I do not try to defend someting just because I happen to own it, but I am just not interested in their stuff because not relevant for me. I can only imagine how the Sigma 30mm 2,8 will rate on photozone :banghead:

I have to wonder whether those guys ever take real photos, and not just test charts.

Bernie

mazor

Because there is no other camera which combines such a sensor in such a body. It is natural that people want good lenses for it, I don't see whats wrong with that
Maybe the Canon EOS-M may be an option. It too has formfactor smaller than the nex7. It's glass is yet to be tested I would imagine as it is only being reviewed now

mazor

For real world photography, I find photozone.de close to useless. Those are very technical reviews, many if not most lenses get mediocre to bad ratings, although in some cases I know that they give very nice results.

Example: They give the Sony SEL 50/1,8 only 2,5 stars out of 5, optically. I do not try to defend someting just because I happen to own it, but I am just not interested in their stuff because not relevant for me. I can only imagine how the Sigma 30mm 2,8 will rate on photozone :banghead:

I have to wonder whether those guys ever take real photos, and not just test charts.

Bernie
Yes, don't just base lens on MTF scale, using a lens on the field yields a much better appreciation of the lens qualities, from bokeh, and focus accuracy

C

curious80

Hmmm, there are 4.999 good (other) cameras. There are no bad cameras - only BAD PHOTOGRAPHERS!

PS: I have NEX7 and I use it with 30 (very good) lenses.
PPS: Iiiiiiii have no wishes for a "better" NEX7 :p
But I never said that there is no other good cameras. Heck even my first Rebel XT was a pretty damn good camera, perfectly capable of taking excellent picture. Yet I don't see anyone here including you sticking only with their 7 year old cameras and not adopting newer technology. I said that there is no other camera which combines that sensor with that body.

As for lenses, all power to you that those 30 lenses work for you. You certainly have no reason to whine. However there are others who need native lenses. Obviously their needs are different from you and they will whine. So I still don't see the issue here.

KenLee

Here's a review of the Sony 50mm E lens on slrgear.com. Their sample photo looks quite good at f/8. I may be mistaken, but there aren't too many better-looking images unless we go to a higher Megapixel count and a substantially higher price point, size and weight for both camera and lenses.

In my own tests (on a tripod of course) even the "lowly" 18-55 kit does quite well at 50mm at f/8 - except for the corners. If we crop to 8x10 or 11x14 ratio (or 9x16 or 5x8 or 1x2) corner performance disappears as an issue.

The NEX-7 occupies a sweet-spot: the convergence of size, weight, image quality and price. For any of these attributes taken separately there are probably better cameras, but taken together, it's a compelling solution.

Last edited: