The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

24MP sensor and 24mm Zeiss lens combo question

peterb

Just curious as to which combination produces images?

The a65 (or a77) with the 24mm f2 Zeiss or the NEX 7 with its 24mm f1.8 Zeiss.

Would love to hear the observations and impressions from anyone fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to compare the output resulting from these identical focal lengths (but differently designed lenses) with their respective 24 MP APS-C bodied cameras.

Thanks!

Taylor Sherman

I think the difference between the lenses is the largest factor. The 1.8 is a Sonnar, not designed for corner-to-corner sharpness. The Distagon is. Also, you can use the Distagon on the Nex, I do :)

I can chime in and say that the 24/2 on the Nex-7 (not exactly what you've asked about, but the only combo that I've used) is a very good combination. Technically excellent, I've used it for landscapes and street/people photography.

I've seen shots from the 1.8 that have a very different quality to the OOF areas, I'm not sure if the 24/2 will do that if I just do the right thing. But I think optically they are probably quite different, so the answer is no.

The other thing about the Distagon. . .it retains its sharpness even on full-frame (field curvature / sample variation issues aside). I'm going to be tempted to get an A99 just to use it with.

philber

Peter, adding to the excellent comments that Taylor made, the 24mm f:1.8 Sonnar is clearly optimized for short to medium range, where it shines, not for infinity, where it does not. The Distagon, which, unlike the Sonnar, I have not tried, should be able to handle both equally well.

mawz

The Sonnar may be better at near distances than infinity but it is no slouch at infinity either.

waardij

The 24mm shows both some field curvature and some focus shift. For landscape use this means that the outer edges and corners tend to be out of focus, for example when stopping down to f5.6. One solution, with AF, is focusing at the extreme right or left edge. Doing this makes it a great landscape lens (at least my copy).

kuau

Workshop Member
Taylor,
Anyway you capost a picture of your NEX7 with the 24/2 mounted on it. I'm curios to see the size of the lens on the NEX 7

Steven

I think the difference between the lenses is the largest factor. The 1.8 is a Sonnar, not designed for corner-to-corner sharpness. The Distagon is. Also, you can use the Distagon on the Nex, I do :)

I can chime in and say that the 24/2 on the Nex-7 (not exactly what you've asked about, but the only combo that I've used) is a very good combination. Technically excellent, I've used it for landscapes and street/people photography.

I've seen shots from the 1.8 that have a very different quality to the OOF areas, I'm not sure if the 24/2 will do that if I just do the right thing. But I think optically they are probably quite different, so the answer is no.

The other thing about the Distagon. . .it retains its sharpness even on full-frame (field curvature / sample variation issues aside). I'm going to be tempted to get an A99 just to use it with.

Taylor Sherman

N

numero

The E-mount 24mm f1.8 has the characteristics of a portrait lens I guess. The center is plenty sharp but roll off gradually toward the edges - which is why I sold it off two months back.

kuau

Workshop Member
Taylor,
Thanks for posting those images.
Yeah it looks like a pretty big lens on the NEX7.
Oh well I think I am going to wait for the A99..

Steven