The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX 6 specs

jfirneno

According to the all knowing folks at SAR, the upcoming NEX 6 will be a new 16mp sensor in a NEX-7-like body. Of course we know nothing of the High ISO capability, noise characteristics or abilities of its slightly lower level EVF but I think this camera sounds like an upgrade for my NEX-5N. Anybody else interested in this one?

Regards,
John

jfirneno

No. Why I should "downgrade" my NEX7 :D
I agree. The changes in this camera will not appeal to you. I'm guessing the upgrades will be to the auto-focus and high-ISO/low noise capability. That would account for the combination of 16mm and built in EVF. Hopefully more of a low-light hand-held event camera. Something to use indoors.

iiiNelson

Sounds interesting and a good upgrade to my NEX-5 if it does well with wide primes. Never needed the 24MP of the NEX-7 but I would like the built in EVF and pop-up flash.

hot

I agree. The changes in this camera will not appeal to you. I'm guessing the upgrades will be to the auto-focus and high-ISO/low noise capability. That would account for the combination of 16mm and built in EVF. Hopefully more of a low-light hand-held event camera. Something to use indoors.
I've a NEX5 too. If I had no NEX7, "perhaps" I would upgrade - but not with "rumors".

Main argument: EVF - a camera without EVF = TOY.

mawz

Could make a nice second body alongside the 7 for wide-angle use if it retains the 5N's performance with wide angle M mount lenses.

jonoslack

Sounds fab to me - it'll be just like the OMD then :p
More seriously, I know one person who'll be very excited by the combination.

all the best

K

Kirby Krieger

Anybody else interested in this one [Nex-6]?

John
Returned the Nex-7 and purchased an a77. Will not buy a Nex without:
- fully articulating LCD
- IBIS (some version of SSS)

Other than that (and the slow AF), I very much liked the Nex-7.

Added:
I will likely purchase the day it comes out, a camera with:
- small body
- fully articulating LCD
- EVF (or good range-finder type VF)
- large sensor (min 1") with better-than-Micro-Four-Thirds dynamic range
- 24-100 mm EFV lens (or change-able lenses)

C

curious80

Main argument: EVF - a camera without EVF = TOY.

Funny, there was a time when people thought that cameras with EVFs are toys :)

Personally even though I used and liked the EVF for a year on my Panasonic G1, I have since then become less and less desirous of an EVF. I now prefer to compose with the LCD most of the time. Though I miss the extra stability that comes with shooting through the EVF.

Plus for some reason I haven't liked the NEX-7 EVF much on a few occasions when I tried it in my local sonystyle store. The G1 EVF seemed really seamless to me in most conditions and I didn't even think that it is an EVF and not OVF - other than in high contrast situations. With NEX-7 EVF on the other hand I immediately feel that it is an EVF. Admittedly that might be just due to the specific lighting conditions in the store. Plus the fact that the EVF for my 5N costs almost twice the total cost of G1 including its EVF always gives me pause. One of the reasons I had not been able to part with my G1 until recently was exactly because its an excellent $150 EVF with a body thrown in for free :). But then I wasn't really using it so I eventually got rid of it.

C

curious80

My 30 lenses for NEX5/NEX7 (8mm-500mm) are enough :D
Good for you!! :) For some of us the 6 existing NEX bodies are enough, we need more e-mount lenses! If Sony follows the current trend you will soon have 30 NEX bodies to go with your 30 lenses. I suppose that will be nice - one body for each of your lenses :D

jfirneno

So it'll be awhile before a mirrorless completely overcomes all the advantages associated with the SLR sytem. But what I'm hoping for short-term is a NEX that has better low light noise and auto-focus performance than my A-850. If it could approach the high ISO capability of the D3S then I would be more than satisfied.

C

curious80

Of course a better body with better sensor is always a good thing to have. Nothing against the NEX-6, I hope it turns out to be an excellent camera.

hot

Some people make excellent photos with 1/2/3 lenses, others not with 1000 lenses.

one body for each of your lenses :D
Thanx ... I have (I know I am crazy) .. G1, G2, G3, GH1, A55, NEX5, NEX7, NX10, NX100, SD14 ... and some Canons .. 10D..550D

philber

Could make a nice second body alongside the 7 for wide-angle use if it retains the 5N's performance with wide angle M mount lenses.
My thoughts exactly. I will probably upgrade my 5N to a 6 as a second body to my 7, if it is superior in IQ and/or features. And, in agreement with Quentin's point, we need more NEX lenses as well, such as (for me) the G zoom, and maybe the mooted 11-18.