The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony NEX: Is a Leica M killer on the horizon?

fotografz

Didn't you have a couple of them at one point while you sent the other for fixes?

I've got two weddings left then I'm out of weddings for good. Will help out a friend but I'm closing the business, my feet just can't do it any more. Annoying thing is that I'm at the peak of my game, I'm the most expensive wedding shooter in Israel at the moment and I'm turning away bookings. Just fed up of the painkiller overdoses, of the agonising pain, of the stomach lining almost completely gone due to drugs, etc, etc.

Happily I'm now running this repro studio and also teaching.

Not connected I know, but as I've mentioned the studio please excuse me, we've just started employing a new girl in the studio, she came to work today from a shoot with her D800, first time I've ever seen one in the flesh. What the f*** did they do to the ergonomics? I get the impression that it's impossible to hold in normal sized male caucasian hand! Honestly it was the most uncomfortable camera I've ever tried to hold. I just couldn't hold it properly. The thumb rest is non existent and the fingers are forced down so low that without a grip I can't see how you can balance it at all. Shutter release position is also all wrong. She said that it's more comfortable for her compared to her D700 and with smaller hands like a girls or Asian hands I can see why. I know the D700 however and IMO they've ruined the ergonomics of it with this body. Was horrible. I'm very glad the D800e we are buying for the studio will be on a copy stand permanently.
Nope. When I had two Ms, I used both when shooting with different lenses mounted ... M8 was some trouble due to IR, but never saw service, and the two black M9s never saw service either. I sold both and replaced them with one chrome M9P because of the tougher cosmetics as a hedge against what the M10 may be ... I have eye surgery for both eyes scheduled next month to remove advanced cataracts and have astigmatism corrected which should put the M back as my number one "go to" camera again. At many times in my life the only camera I had was an M.

I am waiting to see what Photokina brings ... Sony A99, Hasselblad's rumored new secret weapon, possible S3, and the M10 ... to many toys for my toy budget ;) If my eye surgery is successful the M probably will get my $ vote if it retains the M IQ and offers higher ISO. It'll be added to the M9P.

The NEX is something I'm watching closely because it is a possible companion to the M using the same M lenses.

Otherwise I'm more interested in lighting and new conceptual photo adventures, than grueling weddings and more good/better/best cameras ;)

-Marc