The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

How are the newer SLTs?

emr

When the first Sony SLTs hit the market, they showed great promise in AF, FPS, video. But then there were the issues of the semitransparent mirror robbing half a stop of light and the internal reflections from bright lights on dark backgrounds.

But those were the early models. Since the rumors of the A99 are getting more and more frequent, I'd like to know how are the newer/better SLTs regarding the problems above? Models like the A77?

pegelli

The ~ 1/2 stop light loss is still there and probably won't go away, you simply have to direct some light to the PDAF sensors to make it work.

I never hear or see anything anymore on mirror reflections, so I think that is probably solved.

Another reported problem was the increased purple fringing vs. non SLT's, however if you read this article you'll see that this was an attribute of the sensor of the earlier SLT's, and had nothing to do with the pellicle mirror.

So all-in-all SLT's have improved over the first generation, however I still believe it's a "transient" technology until on-sensor AF has caught up speedwise with separate PDAF sensors that need a mirror to see the light. On the other hand it seems a pretty powerful transient technology producing many stellar results when held by capable hands.

iiiNelson

I haven't used a traditional dSLR since I replaced my Digital Rebel with a Panasonic G1. That being said I did pickup an A77 and I like it a lot. It''s still larger than the M9 and the other mirrorless cameras that I use but I don't have any issue with the image quality I get (I rarely pixel peep though.) It's kinda like a larger weather resistant G1 for me.

Look at the A77 thread for some picture examples.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I haven't used a traditional dSLR since I replaced my Digital Rebel with a Panasonic G1. That being said I did pickup an A77 and I like it a lot. It''s still larger than the M9 and the other mirrorless cameras that I use but I don't have any issue with the image quality I get (I rarely pixel peep though.) It's kinda like a larger weather resistant G1 for me.

Look at the A77 thread for some picture examples.
I absolutely agree!
Bill

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have added an A77, too. It is nice to have the A77 and the NEX7 as a kit. The A77 has fast AF and works great with my longer/larger lenses. The NEX7 goes everywhere in my purse. If I use both for a shoot, the photos have the same look and processing. Best of both worlds!

iiiNelson

Nice and welcome to the A77 world! I still prefer the M and it's still less conspicuous overall but you can't shoot from all angles easily with a M like you can with cameras with articulating LCD screens.

kuau

Workshop Member
Cindy,
I didn't know you got the A77, what is your opinion on this supposed IQ difference between the NEX 7 and the A77. Is there really any evidence?

Steven

I have added an A77, too. It is nice to have the A77 and the NEX7 as a kit. The A77 has fast AF and works great with my longer/larger lenses. The NEX7 goes everywhere in my purse. If I use both for a shoot, the photos have the same look and processing. Best of both worlds!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Steven, I have read the articles that say that the mirror reflection may be causing the difference. I have not seen it. I am very satisfied with my photos from the A77. I have not shot the two cameras side-by-side. I always have the NEX7 with me, but when an event calls for A77, I usually don't bring out the NEX7. I have the kit lens with NEX7, but have only used it a couple of times. I use either Leica or Contax G lenses on it. I have the NEX to Alpha adapter in my bag, but would hope not to have to use it. It does give me security that my A77 is backed up. The A77 is usually used with AF lenses. I have the 16-50 f/2.8 and 70-400 AF. Both lenses are excellent. Also, Minolta 50 f/1.7, Beer Can (70-210 f/4), 85 f/1.4 and 500 reflex. I'm going to be adding a couple of Leica R soon, which will be manual focus. It is hard to compare image quality between two cameras when one is used with manual and one is used primarily with AF lenses.
I bring my photos into LR4 and use the same presets (my own settings based on iso) for both cameras.
I guess it boils down to the fact that if there are differences, it would not stop me from using these two tools because they both perform different functions for me, and both work to my satisfaction.

Cindy,
I didn't know you got the A77, what is your opinion on this supposed IQ difference between the NEX 7 and the A77. Is there really any evidence?

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Cindy,
Thanks for your "spin" on the A77.
Hmm, Now I have to decide to either wait for the A99 or go for A77 now then upgrade when the A99 actually ships.

Steven

Jim DE

I am exactly like Cindy... I have the NEX 7 that I use with ContaxG glass mostly and the A77 I use with A mount glass. I use Aperture 3 as my PP software and ISO for ISO the NEX does slightly out perform the A77 above ISO 800.

I use my NEX for scenics and my A77 where fast auto focus and long focal lengths are needed like wildlife and sports. These make a excellent combo and the NEX 7 also has the e-a adapter for user peace of mind when out and about. My current camera lineup for photos afield is the NEX7, NEX5, A77, and a A33. With this selection I can pick and choose due to their strengths and weaknesses. I won't go full frame when the a99 arrives because I would loose the crop sensor advantage for what I use a DSLR for. Now if a NEX FF appears I will be first in line :)

emr

Thanks everybody. But refering to the my original post, are the mirror reflections any problem today?

J

JohnW

Cindy,

What observations can you share on using Maxxum lenses? I've got a box of them that I have not used in ten years. Thinking of putting them to use on an A77 body. Thanks.

John

Steven, I have read the articles that say that the mirror reflection may be causing the difference. I have not seen it. I am very satisfied with my photos from the A77. I have not shot the two cameras side-by-side. I always have the NEX7 with me, but when an event calls for A77, I usually don't bring out the NEX7. I have the kit lens with NEX7, but have only used it a couple of times. I use either Leica or Contax G lenses on it. I have the NEX to Alpha adapter in my bag, but would hope not to have to use it. It does give me security that my A77 is backed up. The A77 is usually used with AF lenses. I have the 16-50 f/2.8 and 70-400 AF. Both lenses are excellent. Also, Minolta 50 f/1.7, Beer Can (70-210 f/4), 85 f/1.4 and 500 reflex. I'm going to be adding a couple of Leica R soon, which will be manual focus. It is hard to compare image quality between two cameras when one is used with manual and one is used primarily with AF lenses.
I bring my photos into LR4 and use the same presets (my own settings based on iso) for both cameras.
I guess it boils down to the fact that if there are differences, it would not stop me from using these two tools because they both perform different functions for me, and both work to my satisfaction.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have the Minolta AF 50 f/1.7, 70-210 f/4 "beer can", 85 f/1.4, and the 500 f/8 mirror. They all perform well on the A77. The 85 is a gorgeous piece of glass with thin DOF and is great for portraits. They are noisier than the new G lenses with the SSM motors that I have. I especially don't love the noise that my 50 f/1.7 makes. I don't do video, but I imagine that they might not be ideal for video because of noise.
If you have a whole box of them, then you are in luck.:chug:
I am glad that I chose the A77 model over the A65 (which I was considering). The micro-adjust feature makes me feel really confident in all my lenses.
I set my A77 up so that focus is on the AF/MF button and AF/MF is on the iso button. I just press to get focus and then I can hit the AF/MF button and the magnify button easily and manually fine-tune when the DOF is ultra-thin. Focus peaking is a bonus. My fingers can easily find all of the buttons (AEL lock, too) without taking my eye off of the viewfinder. The ergonomics work great for me.

J

JohnW

Thanks, Cindy. Really appreciate you views. I was also considering the A65, but the A77 seems well worth the difference.

John

Jim DE

My results are a bit different than Cindy when it comes to using KM glass on my a77. My 17-35, 28-75, and 100-300 all require me to turn off the electronic front curtain to avoid exposure banding due to the KM slower activating aperture blades. This is noted in the owners manual as well.

I use my KM glass without issue on my a33.

As far as a ghosting issue with the a77 due to the mirror this issue does not exist on the A77.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Older lenses and some third party lenses, especially with large apertures, can have the problem of over-exposing, especially on really bright days. They can't close their aperture blades fast enough, and with no mirror to flip-up, the beginning of exposure happens sooner.
I have shot with my 85 f/1.4 in bright contrasty sun and have not seen the problem (maybe because I more than likely was using a flash to counteract the sun). Like Jim said, you can turn off Front Curtain shutter in the menu and then the shutter works as it did with the A55 (which I had previously), if you have the problem.
There is a ton of good info compiled over at Dyxum.com. I have only tried my small number of lenses, but you can look at the review of your particular lenses and see how others have rated them and find out if they can be used on SLT's.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I'd like to hear from other A77/Minolta AF users. Have you had to set the Front Curtain Shutter to off with your lenses? I originally followed Gary Friedman's suggested settings to set up my A77 (until I got a feel for how I wanted it and could customize it with use.) Gary Friedman, in his e-book, said that he keeps it on all the time, but he did mention Sony's "obscure" warning in the manual. I haven't seen a problem yet, Jim DE has. How about others commenting on this and telling us what lenses are causing them problems?