The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Full frame NEX?

pophoto

Another thing I would love to add to this system is an external flash system. Compact being the game, much like the Canon 270II and the Nikon SB 400, these little guys are given less credit than they deserve, and when used correctly and especially certain modifiers they produce great results. I think other systems neglect their accessories, although they provide them, they don't provide them with versatility or the same quality.

I think if they want to complete a Pro system, I would love to see complete systems available, but who I am to talk (NOT a pro)! Just a voice! :p

edwardkaraa

With interchangeable lenses, Sony has to make lenses first, then optimize the sensor for the lenses. I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.

My bet is on Ricoh. They have been silent for a while. And they have no lenses to offer for the GXR-M. They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?

V

Vivek

I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.
They are very much interested in making NEX' and video cams (several models in a year) without adding any lenses.

V

Vivek

Another thing I would love to add to this system is an external flash system. Compact being the game, much like the Canon 270II and the Nikon SB 400, these little guys are given less credit than they deserve, and when used correctly and especially certain modifiers they produce great results. I think other systems neglect their accessories, although they provide them, they don't provide them with versatility or the same quality.

I think if they want to complete a Pro system, I would love to see complete systems available, but who I am to talk (NOT a pro)! Just a voice! :p
There is going to be a whole new flash system, primarily because of the mount change.

edwardkaraa

They are very much interested in making NEX' and video cams (several models in a year) without adding any lenses.
Lens manufacturing seems to be Sony's Achylle's heel. I don't think they have enough capacity to cover all their needs. One good news is that Sony seems to have liberated Zeiss from its agreement not to make AF lenses independently, but the condition is to make lenses for the E mount as a priority. That's at least how I understand it. Don't bother to ask me about my sources that's only my personal analysis.

Bimjo

I would contend that the RX1 signals that it is going to be a while before we see a FF NEX still camera. Imagine the size of the native lenses for such a thing, judging by the size of the current aps-c NEX lenses.
With interchangeable lenses, Sony has to make lenses first, then optimize the sensor for the lenses. I don't think Sony is interested in making digital backs for your Leica and other alt lenses. Hence the fixed lens.

My bet is on Ricoh. They have been silent for a while. And they have no lenses to offer for the GXR-M. They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?
If Sony were to go the way of the GXR and create a FF NEX with a M mount then lenses wouldn't be an issue for Sony at all. :toocool:

Godfrey

I really don't see why every new camera that even barely looks like Leica M has to be nominated as a "Leica M Killer". There's an awful lot of hype, hubris, and hysteria in that kind of stuff. Does everyone hate Leica so much that they're always eager to talk about the next "M killer" candidate? Is everyone so envious of Leica Ms? What the heck is going on with that?

To me, it is great to see more choices appearing in the Leica M form factor ... I like the form factor. Why one has to "win" and the other "lose" is beyond my understanding ... camera companies are not football teams.

The Leica M is a fine camera. There are many fine cameras. Bravo for the choice!

G

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I really don't see why every new camera that even barely looks like Leica M has to be nominated as a "Leica M Killer". There's an awful lot of hype, hubris, and hysteria in that kind of stuff. Does everyone hate Leica so much that they're always eager to talk about the next "M killer" candidate? Is everyone so envious of Leica Ms? What the heck is going on with that?

To me, it is great to see more choices appearing in the Leica M form factor ... I like the form factor. Why one has to "win" and the other "lose" is beyond my understanding ... camera companies are not football teams.

The Leica M is a fine camera. There are many fine cameras. Bravo for the choice!

G
++1

Peter

edwardkaraa

G
+2

Well said.

pophoto

To me the name "Leica Killer" isn't so much about hate, as so much there isn't a Full frame alternate to it in the world in existence! As much as I "hate" the name whenever someone posts something with a title thread as such... really points to this fact, and while less about absoluteness of the name, it's used to effectively stress a headline! I think "stirring the pot" would be the exact phrase!

Leica should be proud every time an assassin fails :)

ustein

Contributing Editor
>They use Sony sensors, so why not the rx1 sensor in a FF GXR-M?

Which mount? M-Mount may require using different sensors.

iiiNelson

G
I think it comes down to imitation is the best form of flattery - although they aren't truly imitating the product so much as the idea of a small full featured camera. Lots of people want what the Leica represents as a photographic tool. Fewer can easily afford it. So people label everything they deem similar as a "Leica killer." The closest thing yet is the Fuji X-Pro 1 so far. This isn't actually competition given the lack of interchangeable lenses. This is an expensive fixed lens FF P&S anyway you cut it... Like the X100, the Sigma DP cameras, and the Leica X cameras.

The "kryptonite" if you will of Sony is their long track record of not giving support to their products much after the sale. They make good stuff but once it's yours it's yours in many ways.

Joe S

The "kryptonite" if you will of Sony is their long track record of not giving support to their products much after the sale. They make good stuff but once it's yours it's yours in many ways.

This is certainly true as many of us wait for the much needed improvement to the firmware of the NEX7. They seem to have no contact with photographers.

douglasf13

The A700, A900, and early NEX cameras got all sorts of great firmware updates. Maybe a NEX-7 update is on the horizon?

iiiNelson

I think a complete lineup of native lenses should take precedence over the 4 or 5 versions of the NEX-3, The 3 or 4 versions of the NEX-5, and NEX-6 (although it looks like the best one yet,) or the NEX-7. That's not even getting into the various version of dSLR's and SLT's that have come out. Don't get me wrong - I love the technology they're putting out but there are some gaps to fill in both A and E mounts.

douglasf13

"Killer" has always been a label used by reviews to illustrate a lower priced good competing in many ways to a higher priced good, similar to how auto magazines label Corvettes as Porsche 911 "killers," etc. I wouldn't read too much into it.

douglasf13

I think a complete lineup of native lenses should take precedence over the 4 or 5 versions of the NEX-3, The 3 or 4 versions of the NEX-5, and NEX-6 (although it looks like the best one yet,) or the NEX-7. That's not even getting into the various version of dSLR's and SLT's that have come out. Don't get me wrong - I love the technology they're putting out but there are some gaps to fill in both A and E mounts.
Several e-mount lenses are supposed to be announced very soon. Maybe even tonight. There are pretty clear Sony lens roadmaps for NEX that Sony has been following well, so far.

pophoto

Now I believe it uses the same battery as the Sony RX100, so does that mean you can only charge the battery through the camera or are they bringing out the charger? (AC Adaptor AC-UD11 supplied, also same as RX100)

Also do I remember owners (RX100) saying the battery has a short life, it's relative I'm sure, but compared to DSLR standards?