The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

pophoto

I think the closest comparison the RX1 in terms of IQ will be the Canon 5D Mark III, with similar MP FF sensor. Canon's own excellent 35mm f/1.4 by f/2 will perform very close, something I could live with with smaller form factor.

DP2M comparisons are just off the table for me. Not even an Apples to Oranges one. The Foveon sensor is a whole other thing and would require a lot of investment to bring it to the table, I think very little touches in terms of raw detail and color information with very limiting application. However, as a parallel I would love for Sigma to keep seeing through the potential of this type of sensor since they have started, but not be so narrow minded with the costs at this point. Few people would invest in their business. Fuji is another company realizing ASPS-C sensor technology into the market successfully comparing close to full frame. I love to see the same business strategies from Sigma, I think the Foveon will flourish!

Godfrey

I was initially very interested in the RX1. It's sort of my one camera - one lens dream, like the Rollei 35S was in a prior era. Problem is that it's almost the same as the Leica X2 ... same field of view, same one camera-one lens dream ... and I already have the X2. I like the X2 control layout more than the Sony. My primary reservation though: I wondered just how much better the RX1's image qualities might be, I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting out of the X2.

However, now that I see the new Leica M, I know for a fact that I'll not be buying the RX1. I'll stick with the X2 as my compact camera, and put the money I'd have put into the RX1 into the M. That's about half the cost of the body ... and I've already got all the lenses I need for it.

Such it is. ;-)

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I was initially very interested in the RX1. It's sort of my one camera - one lens dream. Problem is that it's almost the same as the Leica X2 ... same field of view, same one camera-one lens dream ... and I already have the X2. I like the X2 control layout more than the Sony. My primary reservation though: I wondered just how much better the RX1's image qualities might be, I'm pretty happy with what I'm getting out of the X2.

However, now that I see the new Leica M, I know for a fact that I'll not be buying the RX1. I'll stick with the X2 as my compact camera, and put the money I'd have put into the RX1 into the M. That's about half the cost of the body ... and I've already got all the lenses I need for it.

Such it is. ;-)
I do not have the X2, but after the M was announced, I had similar considerations, as I kept all my M glass which now will be the perfect solution on the M of course.

Actually have waited for something like the new M since the M8 - skipped the M9 and saved lots of money :)

Godfrey

I do not have the X2, but after the M was announced, I had similar considerations, as I kept all my M glass which now will be the perfect solution on the M of course.

Actually have waited for something like the new M since the M8 - skipped the M9 and saved lots of money :)
I skipped the M8, have the M9 ... so I saved a similar amount of money. Maybe I'll keep both.

It's funny how this has all worked out. In 2001, I thought a digital F3 with a 4000x6000 pixel resolution, 35mm size sensor, storage for 1000 exposures and a battery to make it last long enough would do the job. I thought the Leica M was likely dead as it would be impossible to make a decent sensor for the RF lenses. I figured the F3 with MD4 was the baseline for that setup in size, and that there would never been anything like the Rollei 35S ...

Now we have that but it's the M that does it, works with both my RF and SLR lenses. And it's smaller than an F3 digital with MD4 (although not by all that much...). And the X2 or RX1 are very close to what I like about the 35S in being simple, pocketable, etc, and large sensor.

Pretty amazing.

pophoto

Three things spring to mind that the RX1 will have over the X2: the RX1 has a faster lens on a full frame, so if that sort of DOF advantage is worth it to you there's some gain there, and then higher ISO advantage. 35mm will really be 35mm on the full frame sensor.

Other things will be more subjective, but I bet the RX1 will be more responsive as a whole, and I hope in particular the AF.

V

Vivek

Well spotted!

The actual weight of RX1 is 453g.

With battery, it is 482g.

[Source: Sony.nl]

mazor

wow ,thanks Vivek for that info! it seems that the RX1 is indeed a very good contender against the X2. Go Sony

V

Vivek

Here are some weights:

NEX-5n + E 24/1.8 +battery = 480g

NEX-7 + Hawk adapter+ W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 +battery = 520g

Nex-5n + Hawk adapter+ W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 +battery = 420g

What a pity the RX1 does not have a tilt LCD or an EVF in place of the pop-up flash! :(

Godfrey

Thanks Vivek.

They're rather differently shaped ... the X2 is longer and thicker in the body, the RX1 lens protrudes much more. Can't say 'til I handle one, but the X2 is already on the verge of being a little small in my hands ... works best with the A&A half case fitted for me; the RX1 might be a little too small for my druthers.

Three things spring to mind that the RX1 will have over the X2: the RX1 has a faster lens on a full frame, so if that sort of DOF advantage is worth it to you there's some gain there, and then higher ISO advantage. 35mm will really be 35mm on the full frame sensor.

Other things will be more subjective, but I bet the RX1 will be more responsive as a whole, and I hope in particular the AF.
1) The FoV on both is about the same.

2) I most often zone focus the X2 with an aperture set around f/8 ... with a wide-normal FoV like this, I'm only rarely trying to get a shallow DoF.

3) It's possible the RX1 might be a little more responsive ... That's another thing impossible to say until you have one in your hand to compare against. The X2 (particularly the way I use it most of the time) is pretty responsive already. When I am going for critical focus at wide open aperture, I'm usually using the EVF and responsiveness is fine.

But the points are irrelevant. My point was that now that I see the new M, I will most likely use the money I might have spent on the RX1 for that, and the X2 is close enough in intent and practice, and good enough quality on all fronts, to satisfy me already.

I'm pretty happy with the X2's sensitivity and noise quality too. See https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25268645/x2-noise/index.html for my Leica X2 noise test... :)

mazor

Here are some weights:

NEX-5n + E 24/1.8 +battery = 480g

NEX-7 + Hawk adapter+ W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 +battery = 520g

Nex-5n + Hawk adapter+ W-Nikkor-C 2.5cm f/4 +battery = 420g

What a pity the RX1 does not have a tilt LCD or an EVF in place of the pop-up flash! :(

hehe 5n pretty good weights and size :) makes me happy to be a 5n user

V

vivian dilberd

A foliage shutter is excellent. Beside being silent would allow for very great display synchronize shutter connections. However, with the EVF slot and the display shoes in one position, it is 50 percent cooked at best.

Dan Ortego

After selling my M8 with primes I’ve missed a more portable option with the M quality. I also tried Leica’s (Lumix) offering but it was tedious so I sold it and moved into the A900 w/Zeiss. Love the combo but not for anything other than very deliberate shooting.

Yes, the RX1 price is significant but I actually worry more about the ergonomics. Seemingly, it will be nose heavy by design and the ‘ThumbsUp’ and Hood will be more of a requirement than an option. Likewise, I can't see using this thing' in any reasonable fashion without a VF so up goes the acquisition costs. With all this tallied up, who wouldn’t want it protected in the case/jacket.

Based on my own experience I suspect they’ll be a lot of pre-orders and subsequent cancellations before the item actually ships.

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After selling my M8 I was really looking for a replacement - and the M9 although a great camera and better in all aspects than the M8 was not ringing the bell in me.

But the new Leica M does. Would this have been the follow on model of the M8 I would have bought it right away. But as it was not I am glad I waited for more 3 years - YES on can also learn to wait and I am PROUD of me having done so - and now will get the new Leica M.

Waiting is over, strolling around is over and I am HOME again!

Dan Ortego

Well, I'm still kicking myself for selling my 28-cron, 50-lux and 21-Elmerit. The 50 and 21 were hard chrome (coded) and that hurts even more! There is no way I will open those wounds again and my Leica days are ‘hopefully’ over. I also didn’t much care for the president of the company and yes, that counts in my book. Even so, I do like the 'M' and I would otherwise be all over that thing' had I retained my lens set.

As far as the RX1 goes, I remain interested and if it were available today I would likely have already ordered it. Not sure if I will feel the same way by late December after already returning from vacation. Coin flipping in process...

Last edited:

barjohn

I have one on order. Can always cancel if the reviews don't support the price plus a 30 day return priviledge. I'm not sure how the availability date changed from mid November to mid December unless the mid November date was an Asia only date. In any case, I expect reviewers will have a copy before then so we should know more.

To me the M is a ho-hum camera. While there are times I like MF, most of the time I want really fast AF and M doesn't have it. If I am going to use an EVF, I want fast refresh rate and 30fps doesn't cut it. On IQ, I'm sure Leica will work hard to develop good imaging processing but a company's newly developed CMOS sensor is really high risk, especially that it will out perform the sensor from companies with years of experience and expertise. Fortunately for Leica, many Leica owners will see IQ that isn't there but must be or it wouldn't cost so much so they see it. Full disclosure, I bit once and purchased the M8 and lenses. Not the kind of diference I used to see in film days. Looking at Luminous Landscapes side by side comparison shots of the Sigma DP2 Merrill and several cameras including the M9 and only a biased individual could claim that the flat looking M9 image was as good or even nearly as good as the sharp and nearly 3 dimensional DP2M image. Just look at the light bulbs where it is clearly evident.