The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

V

Vivek

Although I am not going to buy one, this camera is interesting.

Sony would sell an accessory optical view finder that looks quite out of place on the RX1 for $599, a thumb grip for $249 and the lens shade will be available for only $179.

The tiny battery is supposed to last for 270 shots. How many milliseconds of video would be possible with one charge is unknown.

If you add all the accessories shown in the Sony promo video, it becomes obvious that for video the VG900 is way more versatile and much cheaper.

Is anyone buying one? Any thoughts?

ptomsu

Workshop Member
The concept f this camera is great. Also the build and obviously the IQ to be expected seem to be what you can expect from such a camera.

What I rather dislike is the price, separate accessories (should come in a bundle) as well as the fixed mounted lens. This should have been interchangeable mirrorless from the very beginning. If this would be the case and Sony would offer a selection of good Zeiss lenses for it i would definitely buy.

With what is offered from the RX1 today I most probably will not buy!

douglasf13

I love the fixed lens, size, and overall concept. There are just a lot of little things that will probably keep me away, considering the price. If it had a lens in the 50mm range, and a tilt up LCD, I'd probably bite. I'm already close to biting, anyways, but I think I'll pass...

edwardkaraa

For me it has just one extra thing that I don't want, the fixed lens. If it came without a lens, I would buy it no doubt, even for a higher price.

Hosermage

Pending reviews of its actual performance, I would seriously contemplate trading the 35'Cron with it (solves the price issue). Leaving 28/50/90 focal lengths for the M9, and to have a backup body with the most versatile focal length, AF, high iso, video, etc. With that said, the RX100 is working well already :D I'm really hoping the sensor/lens performance will be off the chart, as rumored.

jonoslack

Well, fascinating
At $2800 it's pricey no doubt. But charging us poor Brits £2600 (that's around $4000) is, as they say, taking the P155!
I don't care how good it is, the differential is outrageous.
All the best

Shashin

But charging us poor Brits £2600 (that's around $4000) is, as they say, taking the P155!
All the best
Or an RX1 plus a free plane ticket to NYC to pick it up?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Another one horse pony. Damn if it only had interchangeable lenses. Kind of pricey too. It's a no go for me too much of a lens whore.

pophoto

I honestly think its a great camera, but pricing was always going to be expensive for a full frame, but as Guy said, a fixed lens despite its size marvel will be limiting for too many for the cost!

biglouis

Well, fascinating
At $2800 it's pricey no doubt. But charging us poor Brits £2600 (that's around $4000) is, as they say, taking the P155!
All the best
I was really excited by the specs of this camera but the price actually makes the Leica X-2 seem like a bargain.

What I can't quite get my head around is that as it is a fixed lens camera what possible difference can it make whether it is full frame or not?

No one really needs 24mpx, so I really don't get it.

And the pricing for us in the UK is nothing short of insulting.

LouisB

V

Vivek

Here, it isn't even listed yet (sony.nl). So, no price indications.

A pity that it does not have WiFi or GPS. Essential components, especially at this price. ;)

douglasf13

I was really excited by the specs of this camera but the price actually makes the Leica X-2 seem like a bargain.

What I can't quite get my head around is that as it is a fixed lens camera what possible difference can it make whether it is full frame or not?

No one really needs 24mpx, so I really don't get it.

And the pricing for us in the UK is nothing short of insulting.

LouisB
I hear you about the fixed lens, but the 35mm sensor will provide smoother tonality, lower noise, etc. than a smaller sensor.

24mpx really isn't that much if you print. Just like with your medium format gear, many people like more resolution.

As for the Leica X-2, I think the RX1 makes it seem like a poor deal, at least in the US. The RX1 is only $800 more.

biglouis

I hear you about the fixed lens, but the 35mm sensor will provide smoother tonality, lower noise, etc. than a smaller sensor.

24mpx really isn't that much if you print. Just like with your medium format gear, many people like more resolution.

As for the Leica X-2, I think the RX1 makes it seem like a poor deal, at least in the US. The RX1 is only $800 more.
Good points. As I said, when I saw it, for me it would be ultimate urban landscape digital camera. I just can't reconcile the price point. Hopefully, once the hysteria dies down the price will fall to something more viable.

LouisB

Michiel Schierbeek

Good points. As I said, when I saw it, for me it would be ultimate urban landscape digital camera. I just can't reconcile the price point. Hopefully, once the hysteria dies down the price will fall to something more viable.

LouisB
It will be a very nice city walk around camera indeed, Louis.
That's for sure, but at this price point I will probably buy myself a DP 1 or 2 Merrill for cityscapes. (in daylight)

Michiel

Shashin

It seems no one remember gems like the Hexar AF, the Ricoh GR, Minolta TC, Nikon 35/28Ti, the Contax compacts, the Minox 35, the Rollei 35s, etc. (It is actually an E-P1 with OVF and 17mm lens done a little better.) This camera is really nothing new but simply bring back what used to be a great concept--a simple, elegant camera with high image quality. The fixed focal length does not put me off.

Brian Mosley

Hmm... full frame sensor...tick!
35mm high grade lens...tick
aperture controls on lens barrel...tick
super compact...tick

Where is the shutter speed control dial?
Will the OVF have electronic overlay focus confirm?
How will it feel in the hand? it looks too narrow to me, no decent grip.
How fast will it autofocus?
Will it have an electronic ND filter to compensate for the Max 1/2000s shutter speed?
How soon will the price drop below £2500? i.e. what I'm prepared to pay?

Close, but no cigar Sony ;)

Brian