The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

mazor

It will not. The connections are very different to start with.
But not impossible for the 5n evf to work on the rx1. From external appearance they look similar except for the interface connector. Maybe an adapter could be used to convert a 5n evf forbuse with rx1. Only issue I see with adapting as it makes the evf sit higher, and more connections could mean more flimsy.

douglasf13

But not impossible for the 5n evf to work on the rx1. From external appearance they look similar except for the interface connector. Maybe an adapter could be used to convert a 5n evf forbuse with rx1. Only issue I see with adapting as it makes the evf sit higher, and more connections could mean more flimsy.
Yeah, the 5N EVF already sticks up enough, and it isn't exactly the most sturdy thing in the world.

V

Vivek

The actual size of the EVF (NEX-7), including the optics, is actually very small. It would be something if Sony use the same EVF for the RX1!

Better yet, if they would just get rid of the pop up flash and add the EVF in its place!!

mazor

The actual size of the EVF (NEX-7), including the optics, is actually very small. It would be something if Sony use the same EVF for the RX1!

Better yet, if they would just get rid of the pop up flash and add the EVF in its place!!

hey, you have given me an idea for the ultimate interchangeable accessory system.

Sony could design a recessed accessory port, whereby one can interchange the likes of the flush designed flash with a flush designed EVF. So from outside there is nothing protruding up past the top plate of the camera. If ricoh can make the sensor interchange, why not the flash and EVF eh. This does not mean they should omit the hot shoe, as that can be used primarily for larger flash strobes or a clip on microphone accessory.

Great call vivek

bcm

Just had a thought. If Sony were to release high quality adapters that allowed the 35 to be converted into a 50 and an 85 why would you need an ILC FF camera?

No idea if it's possible or not.

V

Vivek

I know that it is possible for Zeiss to make high quality adapters that will change the FL but will preserve aperture and other lens characteristics. Sony will churn out their video quality adapters in no time (they made some for the discontinued 16/2.8 E lens).

What is the point? Just make the NEX (E) mount cam- better.

bcm

I agree that a fully interchangeable lens would be the most flexible solution, but I wonder which would give the smallest footprint?

For my usage the focal lengths I mentioned would have me covered.

Edit: Of course I expect the same quality I get from my ZMs :)

V

Vivek

Sony (NL) say that it will be available in mid November 2012 (DSC-RX1 | R-serie | Overzicht | DSCRX1.CEE8 | DSCRX1 | Sony)

Price (one shop) is 3099 Euros. After allowing for taxes, that still is 500 Euros more than the US price! :shocked:
It gets even more interesting... see (has more information than anywhere that I could find):

http://www.sony-asia.com/corporate/...P(12September12)-FullFramePowerinyourPalm.pdf

Will be available from October 2012 (Asia pacific region)!

V

Vivek

I agree that a fully interchangeable lens would be the most flexible solution, but I wonder which would give the smallest footprint?

For my usage the focal lengths I mentioned would have me covered.

Edit: Of course I expect the same quality I get from my ZMs :)
Ben, The Zeiss add-ons I have in mind are huge and weigh >1/2 Kg (easily).

ptomsu

Workshop Member
+1

It really is the FF cousin to the X2, with a few more features thrown in (primarily the video). Wish it had the same control layout as the X2 but that's no biggie, really, as the A mode and direct access EV compensation is also good. It'll be a little more like using the GXR and a little less like using the X2 in that respect. Both are fine. I don't really need the video but as long as they didn't make the menus and such too complicated it won't get in the way.

The bigger question is whether it will actually improve upon the X2's performance in any significant way. I'm sure the lens is wonderful (so is the X2 lens), I'm sure the sensor is wonderful (so is the X2 sensor)—so it becomed "Will 50% more pixels and (theoretically) 2-3 stops more sensitivity net a practical advantage worth the additional $1000?"

I love this type of camera, however: I've decided that I'll most likely have to give it a try. I'll wait a while and see if I have the spare sheckles around after Lightroom can process RX1 raw files.
+1

Seems to be a really interesting concept. Although I would have preferred a ILC, that could take with adapters r and M glass.

But time will tell what comes and for a start the RX1 looks already pretty appealing.

As I did so far not spend my money on the X2, which I real think is a beautiful and capable camera, the RX1 might be an even better solution.

And finally I actually preferred always in most cases the Zeiss rendering compared to the Leica rendering.

Will give this one definitely a try!

philber

OK, I am in the minority here, it seems, in thinking that what Sony have done is awesome. I have migrated from my DSLR (5DII) to DSLR-and-NEX, and discovered the joy of having a take-it-everywhere-all-the-time camera. I have now become a NEX-only shooter, because the few things my 5DIII cum Zeiss did better than my NEX 7 cum Leica did not offset the huge difference in portability. The RX-1 promises (it remains to be seen whether it delivers, but the early pictures are mouth watering) to combine both. Fantastically compact system, and formidable IQ. The price is high, but not extortionate actually when you compare it to a NE 7 cum ZM 35 f:2.0. The premium for the RX 1 seems to be of the order of 1000-1200$, which is pretty much the same order of magnitude when you compare a APS-C DSLR to its FF sibling.
And when you think that many Leica M shooters do it primarily because it is compact and light relative to a high-end DSLR, that shows you that there is a market for premium compact cameras, either as a primary system or a back-up for a Leica.
Oh, and did I say that my pre-order was in?

Michiel Schierbeek

Philber, you are not alone. The camera is sort of top ranked in the pre-order ranking.
It certainly is a very interesting camera and the price is understandable at this point.
The restriction of having only one focal lenghts at your service can even be an advantage to creativity.

My hope is that there will be an interchangable mirrorless FF camera on the horizon.

Michiel

bcm

Philber when you do get your RX1 I'd very grateful if you could trial the zoom capability of the camera. Apparently it is possible to use a per pixel zoom function to provide an effective focal length range of 35 - 70 mm.

raist3d

I'd still want to see a comparison with the Sigma DP2 Merrill. I know I have gone on about how good the DP2M is on another thread, but it really is shockingly, mind alteringly good - at Low ISO. Love the look of the Sony, but the lens and overal performance are going to have to be something else to justify the price. Probably will have stellar high ISO performance, which would be a bonus. Odd camera though for that money. and as for the lens - well Sigma have produced a belter on the DP2 Merril, just because it has Zeiss in the name does not necessarily mean the RX1 lens will be any better.
Probably stellar high iso performance? I think that's a given :) A bonus? A necessity for some of us who do low light available work.

The DP2M lens is better? How do we know this already? The RX1 lens is F2.0, one full stop faster. Would be interesting to compare at F2.8 (which is what the Sigma has) including bokeh/fringing. I finally used the DP2M this weekend, and I agree the lens in the DP2M is superb. But I don't know why the Sony lens is already known to be less than that, without the camera out.

The DR of the Sony will sure be better (the K-5 DR is definitively better than the DP2M's by a notable margin). I noticed the DP2M has rather poor shadow recovery- you get color casts fast and a lot of monochromatic detail (which is a good strategy to do vs giving you full color constancy). This from ISO 100/200 recoveries- the K-5 has none of those problems. The RX1 sensor will perform even better than the K-5- one of the things Sony mentions in their brochure is better DR by a significant amount over the A900s sensor.

Even at ISO 200 I saw a couple of issues and for some reason the files don't convert as easy as the DP2. The hyper detail has to be treated with care- like people who do HDR or the photograph is not as good due to the super pointilization of detail "calling attention" in a way that looks very digital, not like film. But that can be dealt with, with care and varies per subject.

On the usability, the RX1 will respond faster, focus faster (particularly lower light), longer battery (1 sony battery will be like 3-4 Sigma batteries!). Those little details can add up depending what you are shooting.

It seems to me that while the DP2M will operate superb in the ISO 100/200 full spectrum light situations, the RX1 will operate superb in a far wider range of conditions. After all you can also print walls of a landscape if you want from 24 MP, even if the DP2M would still allow you to print that extra inch or two. While the Sony will allow you to take a full wedding from daylight to reception in the dark at night without much problem.

I am not even touching video here, but the ever growing interest in professional photographers that have clients that want video, could also see a benefit here.

Of course, the RX1 is much more expensive, which puts a nice (wide) gap between the two. If the Rx1 was even $300 more expensive than the DP2M, I would see the DP2M a hard sell, except for the day landscape photographers.

- Raist

philber

I have seen some DP2M pictures. While definition and detail seem to be staggering, colours looked awful. If people walked the streets looking like these pics, it would be a scene from "the walking dead". I wonder whether that can be cured in post ...

raist3d

I have seen some DP2M pictures. While definition and detail seem to be staggering, colours looked awful. If people walked the streets looking like these pics, it would be a scene from "the walking dead". I wonder whether that can be cured in post ...
To some degree I agree with you but looks like the issue has to be dealt with careful exposure and post processing. Something in the post processing of SPP almost makes it seem as if it had a Lightroom Clarify slider "cranked up" a bit.

I think this will improve over time with SPP. The thing is, I don't recall having this issue so easily with my DP2. I am still inclined to think it's an SPP issue, though maybe affected by the color noise of the new Foveon. That said I have seen several shots where it looks pretty good and what I expected.

- Raist