The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

Taylor Sherman

..and might make it to the Time list of best 50 "innovations" in 2013. :ROTFL:

I am frankly sick of SOny introducting half baked products and then slightly better baked products following them in a short time.

The NEX-7 will be replaced in early 2013, according to rumors.

If sony do not release any lenses of the current caliber, I would be happy too.
I feel the same way some times, but I'm also conflicted. Because I've taken thousands of pictures with my Nex-7 since March, and I'm quite glad I've had it. The 5N just isn't the same shooting experience. When the 7's replacement comes out, I'll probably get it, and sell my 7 for half what I bought it for; so it'll have cost me around $600 for almost a year of use. That's not bad.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

..and might make it to the Time list of best 50 "innovations" in 2013. :ROTFL: (...)

LOL :D

I didn't mean the AutoFocus per se, Vivek, or the built-in Electronic Viewfinder, or the interchangeable system lenses, or the full 24x36mm sensor in a mirrorless system

I meant the combination of these crucial elements, that would be a first-timer

Brian Mosley

Can't fault the official image samples linked further up this thread. I'll have to try this camera in hand - I think it's 60% likely I will buy, since I don't see anything likely to compete with this package in terms of compact quality.

Cheers

Brian

Dan Ortego

The EVF has been shown several places, and it looks just like the NEX-5N EVF, but in black with a new mount.

Photo from user "jpr2" on dpreview.com:
Looks pretty nice to me, and certainly has more value than the seemingly useless Zeiss OVF. Not only is it a cold shoe mount, it doesn’t appear to have a diopter. Then they go and stick a Leica price tag on it. :loco:

Last edited:
V

Vivek

Not only is it a cold shoe mount, it doesn’t appear to have a diopter. Then they go and stick a Leica price tag on it.
Why would you need a diopter?

It is Zony price tag, AFAIK.

Shashin

Looks pretty nice to me, and certainly has more value than the seemingly useless Zeiss OVF. Not only is it a cold shoe mount, it doesn’t appear to have a diopter. Then they go and stick a Leica price tag on it. :loco:
The Leica X1/2 finder is $299 at B&H. A CV 35mm finder is $209. I do not think either of those finder have a diopter. I am not sure how useful a diopter is on a brightline finder as it does not make a real image like an SLR finder.

Dan Ortego

Ahh Ok... I stand corrected on the diopter thing' and I was way off on the pricing scheme. It’s been a while since I owned my Leica gear and I know that anything I bought from them was always ridiculously priced. Still, I struggle on how the Zeiss OVF provides much value vs. the EVF for considerably less money.

Frankly, I prefer an OVF but in the case of the RX1 I'm just not sure. Oddly, the current and somewhat pithy reviews that have been published whereby both VF's have been used, the reviewers' don’t mention anything as to how they performed.

Last edited:

douglasf13

The Zeiss external OVFs have always been expensive, and they're considered the best out there, but there are other options.

As mentioned by Shashin, the Voigtlander 35 is supposedly great and only $209 US. The mini-finder for $349 US also looks cool. Voigtlander Bessa RF Accessories

The EVF for the RX1 looks to be $450 US.

Shashin

Dan, the Sony finder is expensive and, as Douglas point out, all Zeiss finders are steep. I would think about the Leica X1 or Voigtlander (CV) 35mm finder. I have used Voigtlander (CV) finders and they are nice--all metal construction and you can choose between black and silver. It would also be smaller than the Sony.

I was able to check out the OVF at PhotoPlus and it was exceptional. However, the RX-1 has a design flaw, IMHO, in that is does not provide any sort of visual indication when focus is achieved. The Leica X1/X2 has small led on the top/back of the camera which lights when focus is achieved. This light is easily seen in your peripheral vision when using the OVF. Its too bad Sony didn't do something like that on the RX-1 as I would prefer the OVF.

Shashin

Actually, using an E-P1 with an OVF, the indicator light is not needed--you can tell when the AF is locked just by listening to the lens. I could use the audio AF confirmation as well I suppose, but I turn all the sound off on my cameras.

I am not sure a small light outside the viewfinder I need to spot in my peripheral vision is a better solution...

Last edited:

Brian Mosley

I think a slightly longer design with built in evf would have been preferable - similar to the Fuji XE1. Never mind, can't wait to try the thing.

Do we know when the camera will be available for sale?

Thanks

Brian

Dan Ortego

Nice samples or ‘quick grabs’ that show its potential. Still, I have to pick my horses a bit more carefully based on how the elections came out. Aside from that I remain interested although a little weary to be an early adopter.

Shashin

I thought the 6400ISO sample were very nice. Those are the last in the series. There is also in f/2 image in broad daylight--the blue sign in front of the office building.

Sony is a camera manufacturer, not a politician. All Sony is promising is small and nice image quality. I am not sure I have seen anything to suggest those will not be delivered. Just sayin'.