The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

V

Vivek

As a happy X100 owner, I'm fine with a fixed lens, but I'll reserve judgement on whether it's a brilliant camera until I've tried it for myself :)

Cheers

Brian
Since you are buying one, that judgement (when it comes) does matter. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Brian, so if you don't think it is a brilliant camera does that mean I don't either?
Just to be clear, instead of the flash there could be the built in EVF - which I would have preferred as I almost NEVER use flash, but almost EVERY TIME would use the EVF.

V

Vivek

When a camera is declared "brilliant", that pop-up flash instead of an EVF is a very minor point.

Shashin

Just to be clear, instead of the flash there could be the built in EVF - which I would have preferred as I almost NEVER use flash, but almost EVERY TIME would use the EVF.
How do you know? The flash is tiny. You are certain an EVF would take up the same space?

V

Vivek

How do you know? The flash is tiny. You are certain an EVF would take up the same space?
Lots of questions with no real ideas about the dimensions, aren't we?

Yes, the EVF display is very tiny. It is the plastic optics in front of it that makes it bulky. For a "brilliant" camera, better optics would have been thought of, designed and implemented.

Shashin

Lots of questions with no real ideas about the dimensions, aren't we?

Yes, the EVF display is very tiny. It is the plastic optics in front of it that makes it bulky. For a "brilliant" camera, better optics would have been thought of, designed and implemented.
Like you said, we really have no idea...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Like you said, we really have no idea...
If you look to one of these decomposition videos of the NEX6 for example then you see how tiny the EVF is. Much smaller than the flash with all mechanics around.

Adding first class optics to this EVF would not have made it much bigger!

And even if the camera would be a small amount larger it would have been a huge benefit for normal size male hands using and holding and handling it :)

Only can repeat - without built in EVF this is a NO GO for me!

Shashin

If you look to one of these decomposition videos of the NEX6 for example then you see how tiny the EVF is. Much smaller than the flash with all mechanics around.

Adding first class optics to this EVF would not have made it much bigger!

And even if the camera would be a small amount larger it would have been a huge benefit for normal size male hands using and holding and handling it :)

Only can repeat - without built in EVF this is a NO GO for me!
LOL. You don't actually have to buy a camera that a manufacturer offers. You don't need to buy 8x10 view cameras either. Nor do you have to buy a Merrill dp2.

But as Vivek has pointed out, we have no idea what is possible...

Shashin

So where does Sony go from here. First they need to determine if the RX1 will be successful--lots of press and heated talk on the internet does not translate into sales. If they have stock of their first production run in six months, then the adventure is costing them money. And once bitten, twice shy.

If it is a success, I imagine they may try a zoom version. No ICL. This is Cyber Shot branding which are Sony's compact cameras. They know that the bottom has fallen out of the low-end cameras because of cell phones and all they have left is to go up. Hence the RX1 and RX100. But Cyber Shots are not ICL products. There is a good change a 35mm zoom RX2 could still not have the EVF built-in--Cyber Shots are compact cameras, with the emphasis on compact.

So there is the Nex series. This is highly doubtful as that is an APS-C camera line. It is too costly to add a new format to that series.

That leaves their Alpha series. They may make a a99 Jr. mirrorless body, but it is still a long shot. Do you keep the same mount with that flange distance or do you make an adapter? Then do you really want to run two lens lines?

Now, if this adventure turns out to be wildly successful, they may be some movement from Sony or other manufacturers to try an ICL 35mm mirror less. But they will be careful as the first of a concept can be the best selling one as well, where follow up models do not do as well.

The best way to see how this pans out is to wait 10 years. Predicting is hard to do, especially about the future...

jonoslack

Now, if this adventure turns out to be wildly successful, they may be some movement from Sony or other manufacturers to try an ICL 35mm mirror less. But they will be careful as the first of a concept can be the best selling one as well, where follow up models do not do as well.
I think we already have an ICL 35mm mirror less, with thousands of dedicated lenses from many manufacturers in the native mount, and the opportunity to use most full frame SLR lenses from Contax, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, Olympus, Minolta etc.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I think we already have an ICL 35mm mirror less, with thousands of dedicated lenses from many manufacturers in the native mount, and the opportunity to use most full frame SLR lenses from Contax, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, Olympus, Minolta etc.
Sure we do and IQ wise it is really a beast. But it lacks AF as well as the possibilities a RX1 (or ICL version of the RX1) brings WRT owning the sensor design like Sony does - translates to better higher ISO and also better EVF already today, before the Leica M is even released.

Add to that the wonderful Zeiss glass optimized just for that sensor and for the short distance between lens and sensor (due to mirror less) and this should translate in highest possible IQ.

Question is, if Sony wants to attack or just play in different areas.

Shashin

People already complain about FF camera prices now, Leica prices are not very tempting for a majority of buyers. And why would a camera company make a new camera for someone else's secondhand lenses? Of course, it might also be a good strategy because there would be lens choices for customers--Leica has kind of let other companies supply lenses for the S/S2 with their adapters.

Shashin

Question is, if Sony wants to attack or just play in different areas.
I doubt Sony cares about Leica. Most products are driven by consumer demand, not simply wish lists for folks on internet forums, but actual sales, which can be very different.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I doubt Sony cares about Leica. Most products are driven by consumer demand, not simply wish lists for folks on internet forums, but actual sales, which can be very different.
Ever heard about opening new market possibilities / segments for a company? Especially if they own leading technology?

Shashin

Ever heard about opening new market possibilities / segments for a company? Especially if they own leading technology?
Sure I have. No doubt the Hasselblad Lunar will be a great success regardless of the market reaction. If a new segment is unprofitable, why go there?

Paratom

With the relativly large lens I believe the RX1 is not really pockable like the RX100 anyways.
But if a camera is not pockable anyways then for what reason does the body have to be that small.
Overall I would think something with the formfactor of the x100 would have made more sense. I even go so far that I say for such type of camera a dx sensor makes more sense because it can help keeping camera and lens smaller.

jonoslack

Sure we do and IQ wise it is really a beast. But it lacks AF as well as the possibilities a RX1 (or ICL version of the RX1) brings WRT owning the sensor design like Sony does - translates to better higher ISO and also better EVF already
Hi Peter
But Leica do own the sensor design. that was the whole point. of course, you're right about the AF. but it's going to be a long time before Sony (or anyone else) are going to have a convincing enough range of FF AF lenses for a mirror less system.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
With the relativly large lens I believe the RX1 is not really pockable like the RX100 anyways.
But if a camera is not pockable anyways then for what reason does the body have to be that small.
Overall I would think something with the formfactor of the x100 would have made more sense. I even go so far that I say for such type of camera a dx sensor makes more sense because it can help keeping camera and lens smaller.
+1 on the size, it would be better if this camera would be a touch larger.

-1 on DX size sensors - to make the real bang and compete against pro cameras it needs to be FF