The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

jonoslack

If I buy any more cameras, I will be able to open my own camera museum in due course...

Still, I will probably buy the RX1 when it becomes available, even though it is unlikely to quite match the low ISO performance of the Sigma DP2. High ISO performance with a fairly fast lens in a nice body may win me over
Hi Quentin
The trouble is . . you get all the latest and greatest . . . but you haven't tried a Leica. . . . . . and you that is so concerned with image quality as well.

What you really need is a Leica M with two or three decent M lenses, a macro and a telephoto.

It's simple, just do it!

:loco::p:ROTFL:

Quentin_Bargate

Hi Quentin
The trouble is . . you get all the latest and greatest . . . but you haven't tried a Leica. . . . . . and you that is so concerned with image quality as well.

What you really need is a Leica M with two or three decent M lenses, a macro and a telephoto.

It's simple, just do it!

:loco::p:ROTFL:
Leica, shmeica... Nice camera, but I'm unconvinced... Perhaps when they have been around a few years and built a reputation I'll try one out :p:eek::ROTFL:

Shashin

Besides, can you trust the Germans? It has only been 67 years since the last war. Better stick with the Japanese...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Looking at the RAW samples from the latest Dpreviw test of the RX1

http://www.dpreview.com/previews/sony-cybershot-dsc-rx1/

and comparing with whatever other camera - A99, 5D3, D800, D600, M9,...

I must say I am pretty disappointed. Thought one would see immediately great or even superior IQ from the RX1, but this is not the case. Not at any ISO.

What is wrong? Is that all marketing hype?

V

Vivek

Where did that expectation come from?
Good question! :)

Sony does not advertise this as a "pro" camera. They rightly classify this under their P&S cams. Granted they have made a separate category within the cybershot models for the Rx series.

If one wants a cute camera with limited function and is willing pay for it, this is the camera to have, this year.

The cuteness factor is on par with that of a Compass camera (if one overlooks the absence of a built in VF): Variations in LeCoultre Compass 35mm

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Where did that expectation come from?
This is an easy answer - from some of the "professional" bloggers about photographic equipment, who highly praised the RX1 to be superior to the A99 for example - there was a Sony event back in September this year in CA where the new cameras were introduced and tested, I will not mention names but you can find out.

Also to be honest - some of the Sony interviews said that this camera was such a special development and having a fixed lens mounted to the body and fine adjust it for the sensor should bring superior results .... ?????

Again what is wrong with that blogging and advertisements? I am starting to get ......

V

Vivek

If one has to pick the nits then might as well wonder how a lens with so many elements make the camera weigh so little, especially given that it is an "all metal construction". Could the "advanced aspherics" (or at least some of the elements) used are plastic?

Shashin

Looking at the RAW samples from the latest Dpreviw test of the RX1

Sony RX1 Hands-on Preview: Digital Photography Review

and comparing with whatever other camera - A99, 5D3, D800, D600, M9,...

I must say I am pretty disappointed. Thought one would see immediately great or even superior IQ from the RX1, but this is not the case. Not at any ISO.

What is wrong? Is that all marketing hype?
You mean the RX1 sensor has the same great performance as the other great 35mm sensors used in this year's cameras? It certainly has better high ISO than the M9.

I am not sure why you are disappointed by a camera you had no interest in...

ptomsu

Workshop Member
You mean the RX1 sensor has the same great performance as the other great 35mm sensors used in this year's cameras? It certainly has better high ISO than the M9.

I am not sure why you are disappointed by a camera you had no interest in...
Well,

from you I did not expect a different answer - LOL

monza

This is an easy answer - from some of the "professional" bloggers about photographic equipment, who highly praised the RX1 to be superior to the A99 for example - there was a Sony event back in September this year in CA where the new cameras were introduced and tested, I will not mention names but you can find out.
Maybe your beef is with the bloggers and not with the camera...also, those were pre-release cameras, right? As neither were shipping two months ago, and the RX1 still isn't.

Are you looking at direct comparison photos of RX1 next to the A99, with all factors being equal other than the camera?

mdwsta4

This! While I am extremely interested in the RX1 and most likely pick one up, I can't imagine liking it as much as something with an OVF/EVF.

In all reality, I've been waiting for Fuji to release an updated version of the x100 but that doesn't appear to be in the cards. Shame because that's probably the most fun camera I've owned in years and regret selling it.

All Sony has to do, is stick a superb evf where that silly pop up flash resides, make it a few millimeters wider if necessary, and upgrade the focusing mechanism to match the fastest m4/3rds lenses... Swap that mode dial for a proper shutter speed dial and they will be out of trouble in no time! :D

Cheers

Brian