The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

Shashin

This crop is interesting as it shows that with the Sony RX1 the capture position and angle has been changed quite a bit
and it also looks like the Depth Of Field is quite different
Uh, wide-angle lens? The RX1 is kind of stuck with that...

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Ah, of course you are right, Shashin, I thought they were using the same focal lenght in the test set-up, my bad :facesmack:

Here's finally a crop that illustrates the exact focus plane of the Sony SLT camera with pin sharp dust speckles.

Summa summarum: four competent cameras with regards to Image Quality, just go with the one with the handling you like the best (or the one you already have lenses for) :)

V

Vivek

Summa summarum: four competent cameras with regards to Image Quality, just go with the one with the handling you like the best (or the one you already have lenses for) :)
That is one of the much debated issues (wrt to price) in that the Rx1 comes with a lens. :)

ptomsu

Workshop Member

Ah, of course you are right, Shashin, I thought they were using the same focal lenght in the test set-up, my bad :facesmack:

Here's finally a crop that illustrates the exact focus plane of the Sony SLT camera with pin sharp dust speckles.

I think the issue with Dpreview and their sample photos is that they are using different focal lengths on different cameras plus they do not focus always on the same spot. If they would let us know where they focus exactly, these samples would be more telling.

Shashin

LOL

It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight. :ROTFL:

BTW, there is a large 3" viewfinder built into the camera on the back. ;) And two other viewfinder you can add to it as well. :rolleyes: Not bad for a camera with no viewfinder. :)

retow

I'm not sure what ptomsu is smoking either but I looked at those images and concluded just the opposite. It even beat out the XPRO1. I would suggest maybe one of needed glasses but I was wearing mine. :)
Funny, I'm actually with Peter on this one and if one throws the XPro1 in the mix the smaller sensor looks like the winner. Even the OMD looks better IMHO, at least up to iso 1600.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
Funny, I'm actually with Peter on this one and if one throws the XPro1 in the mix the smaller sensor looks like the winner. Even the OMD looks better IMHO, at least up to iso 1600.
Obviously some like to see things through pink glasses :D we do not ;)

But wait, we should consider that the RX1 has only a fixed lens which is optimized for it's sensor so how could it achieve better results than ICL cameras - LOL

Last edited:

philber

Thanks for talking the time to show us all this good stuff, steen! It strengthens my belief that I can only get to know what a camera or lens can do for me by actually shooting it. To many unknowns otherwise.

yatlee

I see Canon as consistently sharps, but it looks like a lot of post sharpening has been applied to the picture to the point that you start seeing ghosting to the edge. It is just me seeing this?

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

You are not alone, Yat, I see that too.

My first reaction was to think that the Canon looked sharp and contrasty all over the frame, but then I started to notice that it looked a bit harsh in the rendering, which probably just has to do with the camera settings for sharpness and contrast.

Add to that the choices of lenses for the test shots and I reach the same conclusion as Philber when he says:

"It strengthens my belief that I can only get to know what a camera or lens can do for me by actually shooting it. To many unknowns otherwise"

So true, Philber, I will cross stitch that sentence :thumbup:

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

Shashin wrote:
>> It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight

On the contrary, Shashin, for me that's an easy one, because personally I only miss 2 basic things to regard it as no less than the prototype of the high-end camera of tomorrow: a built-in viewfinder and a mount for interchangeable lenses.
(Marc has also mentioned the need for a sync port, but that's not a crucial part for my personal use).
I did not forget that the RX1 is a fixed lens camera, see this last line in my initial post # 313: "As an example I can make the fixed lens Sony look good by choosing this crop ... "
My silly mistake was that I imagined they had put similar 35mm focal length optics on the three system cameras as well for the comparison.
But of course you are right that these test target shots are made totally independent of, and isolated from, each other (and for system cameras probably usually with ~ 50mm normal lenses or something like that).
Our present comparison selection was just put together for the purpose here (by Peter in the first place).

And with regards to viewfinders: I'm an old dog from the days where a built-in eyelevel viewfinder was a given on a 35mm format camera.
For me the viewfinder is almost the single most important part of a camera because it is what I use to imagine and make the picture.
Luckily there are no obligations here so you can feel free to regard the display as a viewfinder. "What is in a name?" ;)

V

Vivek

After a lot of internal discussions, I have cancelled my pre-order just as the Rx1 is about to become available.

I see one real use for the Rx-1 (in terms of imaging capability, usability is still very limited)- low light street. Other than that, I can also foresee this sitting unused for months, much like the NEX-5.

I am thinking of placing a pre-order for the Leica M to use the lenses and accessories I already have (and sure to accumulate in the near future). I think that would be more versatile for my use.

ptomsu

Workshop Member
After a lot of internal discussions, I have cancelled my pre-order just as the Rx1 is about to become available.

I see one real use for the Rx-1 (in terms of imaging capability, usability is still very limited)- low light street. Other than that, I can also foresee this sitting unused for months, much like the NEX-5.

I am thinking of placing a pre-order for the Leica M to use the lenses and accessories I already have (and sure to accumulate in the near future). I think that would be more versatile for my use.
++1 from my side!

Did the same WRT Leica M and will then again start using my currently unused M glass I have already!

I the future brings a Sony Rxyz system with ICL and integrated EVF then I might reconsider if there are certain advantages like precise and reliable AF. But definitely no desire to become one of the early adopters here!

Shashin

Shashin wrote:
>> It seems we can't keep what we dislike about the RX1 straight

On the contrary, Shashin, for me that's an easy one, because personally I only miss 2 basic things to regard it as no less than the prototype of the high-end camera of tomorrow: a built-in viewfinder and a mount for interchangeable lenses.
And the camera is not for you and that is fine. I just don't understand the general vitriol out there for this camera--and I am not speaking of your post, but the general tone around the web. I don't want a sports car, but that does not mean I have to then denigrate sports cars and their manufacturers. And some around the web have upped the rhetoric by saying only idiots would buy this. It almost sounds like this is the only camera in the world and Sony has taken away your birthday. Personally, there are many camera I would never purchase, but they are fine cameras. I simply don't buy them and sleep really well at night.

But the point of my post was that I found it funny that folks have been very upset that this camera has a fixed lens, but then never consider this when looking at test results. But then again, folks have a really hard time with interpreting data.

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

I admire innovative Sony for going this route, Shashin, they are so close to the camera concept of tomorrow we all dream about (or at least many of us), I believe.
A few basic features still missing in my personal humble opinion, but they (Sony) are getting so close that I would put my money on Sony getting there first.
In my opinion the RX1 is one of the two most interesting cameras (and surprises) released in 2012, I bought the other one (a classic DSLR of 'yesterday' so to say) but that's not relevant here.

If people are disappointed and react in negative ways I can only think of two reasons in general: the lack of a system mount, and maybe the price level.
In other words if they react with vitriol it's probably because they want the full featured autofocus mirrorless FF system camera so much (and hope for it at a somewhat affordable price) :)
I apologize if at any point I have sounded negative, not my intention, but you are right that for me this version is not quite there yet but I'm very much looking forward to the next RXx model.
Progress goes on. Go, Sony, go.