The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

barjohn

My RX1 is supposed to ship tomorrow and be on its way overnight for Thursday delivery. The EVF should arrive today so I will soon see if it is worth the price of admission or not. I hope it is as good as Steve H. seems to believe. As far as high ISO goes, I find 3200 is sufficient for most uses so if it does 3200 well and 6400 is only good, that would meet my needs. I'm more concerned about how well it auto focuses, especially in low light situations. It seems the EM-5 is the benchmark. I had the EM-5 and sold it because as douglasf13 states handling is very important. I could not get comfortable with the handling and carrying so it wasn't with me as often as it should have been. I am debating adding an RX100 as an even more carry around camera due to its small size and larger sensor than typical P&S cameras. The AF on the RX100 was perfectly usable so if the RX1 is close to that it would meet my needs.

sinwen

I would love to buy this camera because of :
-small size
-image quality (I have no doubt on this)
-non interchangeable lens, so no dust problem AND the 50 /75 crop seems quite good while for jpeg only a future firmware could address it for raw as well. Another option could have been a short zoom 24-80 but it is never as good as a fix focal lenght, and this one seems quite doing it.

But I won't because of the price... like most of the cameras today the prices are ludicrous.... common it's all electronics[/B][/I] and it's made to fail sooner than later!

I buy a camera after long thoughts because I do not intend to change every year or two like many here whose hobby seems more buying cameras than using them. Nothing wrong with that by the way but it's a big NO WAY for me !
But I guess with the crisis hitting, all this buying non stop is going to an end very soon.

Anyway well done Sony, you made a very interesting move but check your prices.

Brian Mosley

Hi John,

no offence to Mr H, but I'm more interested in your opinion... especially in comparison to the E-M5, which is a heck of a lot of camera for the price.

All the best

Brian

V

Vivek

I am interested in the prof's experience as well. Huff appears to be waxing poetry while mysteriously getting all the stuff before they have are on sale anywhere. The latest video Haiku is on how two metal screws make up the metal lens cap. :loco:

Also, I would be interested to see any comparisons between the Rx1 and the Dp1M as Michiel queried above.

Shashin

I would love to buy this camera because of :
-small size
-image quality (I have no doubt on this)
-non interchangeable lens, so no dust problem AND the 50 /75 crop seems quite good while for jpeg only a future firmware could address it for raw as well. Another option could have been a short zoom 24-80 but it is never as good as a fix focal lenght, and this one seems quite doing it.

But I won't because of the price... like most of the cameras today the prices are ludicrous.... common it's all electronics[/B][/I] and it's made to fail sooner than later!

I buy a camera after long thoughts because I do not intend to change every year or two like many here whose hobby seems more buying cameras than using them. Nothing wrong with that by the way but it's a big NO WAY for me !
But I guess with the crisis hitting, all this buying non stop is going to an end very soon.

Anyway well done Sony, you made a very interesting move but check your prices.
Gee, I have electronics going back to the 60s that are still working. If I can get my RX1 to last 50 years, I think I will be ready for my next camera...

barjohn

I have some comparison test shots taken with DP2M that I can post once I have the RX1 I will try and duplicate. I returned the DP2M despite its incredible IQ because I prefer live subjects to landscape and it is just too difficult to focus in too many cases where even the X100 would focus before the firmware improvements. I may still buy one because of the stunning crispness of the images and color under good lighting.

V

Vivek

people are already griping about the price - adding those features would most likely push the price close to $3500.

local shop had a few that flew off the shelves - none for me to play with. :(
I will not. I think SOny would learn from their pricing mistakes (not only the RX-1) from the returns they see and act sensibly.

If there is a successor to the Rx-1, i would expect one with a built in EVF, hotshoe and/or a separate flash sync port.

Remember that these are the folks who tried to sell an OVF (also recall its price) with the NEX-5 and the 16/2.8. They are not very farsighted to say the least, especially when they also tried to sell a WA and fisheye converter for the 16/2.8.

Dan Ortego

Hi Matt,
I enjoyed your write-up and the results were interesting. I was on the RX1 bandwagon and then fell off. I simply couldn’t rationalize the cost-to-benefit gains to my photography. These days whenever I get the gear-head fever I try to look at items that are more universal and not tied to a specific platform like’ tripod gear, software, etc. Then again I could just buy another Zeiss lens for what I already have.

Last edited:

Hausen

Wow read this thread with interest. I had an accident a couple of weeks ago and managed to drop my M9 and 28 summicron in the harbour. Luckily insurance paid out and I spent two weeks deciding whether I re-up on new M240 or go back to DSLR style and take opportunity to cash out of my M9. Well after much thought I thought I would get A99 + RX1 plus a couple of lenses but reading this thread and thinking of my old X100 makes me realise the RX1 with 35mm FL really just isn't me and I decided against it. Have to applaud Sony though for pushing the envelope and if a 50mm version comes out anytime soon I doubt I would be able to resist. Well off to the gym to strengthen my back now I am carrying the Sony kit around:)

Dan Ortego

Man-O-man. The first part of your post had me feeling your pain. Glad to hear that insurance paid for it. I still miss my M8 and four super primes. With a series-1 tripod it was hard not to get fantastic shots. Handheld was an entirely different story. I’m in the market for ‘something’ but I’m not sure what. My big old Sony kahuna still amazes me whereas most everything new has sloppy production and quality control issues. I sure do wish that Sony had developed an A950 …oh well.

Hausen

Yeah Dan I was really upset at the time but have been really happy so far with A99 + 24-70. Have 85/1.4 on order and also a pre-order on the soon to be released 50/1.4. Have picked up an old Minolta 50/1.8 as a walk around when I want to go light. RX1 is tempting but 35mm and me don't play well together.

pophoto

...RX1 with 35mm FL really just isn't me and I decided against it. Have to applaud Sony though for pushing the envelope and if a 50mm version comes out anytime soon I doubt I would be able to resist. Well off to the gym to strengthen my back now I am carrying the Sony kit around:)
That's pretty much me! Sony didn't get it wrong with the release of the RX1, but I am more of a 50mm person, release that, and I doubt I could resist the temptation I had faced all night. I was staring the In Stock notice from both Amazon and B&H, although I would have to add almost $300 tax on top from Amazon. I managed to resist, and this morning, sonyalpharumors had listed the in stock notice from both vendors, and the case was no longer when I checked, Phew!

With that all and said, a built in EVF, and a matter of preference of FOV, or zoom lens, is what really separates those who are interested. I am impressed with what Tim Ashley had wrote on his blog about the amount of recovery, something no APS-C sensor could achieve, and the DOF really does matter to me, because I enjoy the look when taking pictures of people and certain still life for isolation!

I just received my A1 Sigma 35mm lens and looks absolutely stunning, Sigma has a real winner, but its hefty on any canon DSLR that I own, but not unmanageable, but certainly not a travel or vacation with kids camera system. Again, the RX1 certainly delivers, I am heavily tempted, but a 50mm would have certainly pushed me over! Right now I've been finding more excuses to NOT buy this camera than any I have lusted over, and eventually owned!

pophoto

Another thing I am keen on, I often use a small flash to keep weight down, for bounce fill, which works a treat on my DSLRs, however, I know this isn't something explored very often and the RX1 is definitely very new on the market! Although I have researched the options, there just simply no options available without making the RX1 a monster!