The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sony RX1

Amin

In the old days, people would post negative comments about the DPR tests in their forum, and either there would be no response or Phil Askey would make a short, caustic reply without addressing the criticism. Nowadays, people make the same negative comments in their forum, and one of their staff will give a reasoned reply. For example, they will sometimes use an f-number well into diffraction-limited territory to strike the best balance between center sharpness and edge sharpness, and different findings across the frame are often explained by field curvature rather than misfocus.

They still make their share of technical errors, but they do a better job of explaining and aren't as careless as we sometimes assume.

V

Vivek

Is this some sort of random defence of dprevs and their fabulous reviews or it has something to do with Rx1?

Brian Mosley

Hi Amin, I'm not sure that I care any more... Cameras seem to have progressed to the point where IQ is better than most people need and it's more about bragging rights and excitable tech collectors (I'm not excluding myself here!) than being in pursuit of imaging excellence.

Having said that, I do find it all inspires me to pick up the latest camera and shoot something to share... Hopefully there will be images that will be meaningful to me in 10 years time too.

Also, I love the 35mm perspective, and the novelty has worn off my X100... Even though it could turn out to be better than the RX1 (as I said, image quality is now 'good enough' and I love the ergonomics).

It's all good, just want to take some keepers of my family this Christmas and count my blessings. The RX1 could add to the sparkle, that's for sure ;)

All the best

Brian

V

Vivek

The latest cam to get a "gold award" with 84 points (that is apparently two more than the D800) certainly made me rethink what new cam I would like. I will now look for Amazon deals on it. :)

barjohn

His image is amazing! By the way I shot 186 images today and my battery is still showing nearly full. I had the camera on for about 3 hours. It goes to sleep in between action and could use a faster wake up time.

barjohn

I have a question for RX1 owners. Do you know what external flash units besides the Sony one for over $500 will work on the RX1? How does the wireless flash work? I see nothing in the user guide or user manual on how to use it. Is it compatible with certain wireless flashes? So you need a wireless trigger device in the hot shoe to make it work? I'm not sure what selecting that option under the flash setting does. Does anyone know? I tired using an old standard none TTL flash unit I had and it would not trigger it. Every other camera I have had worked with it. It just has the center connector.

fotografz

I have a question for RX1 owners. Do you know what external flash units besides the Sony one for over $500 will work on the RX1? How does the wireless flash work? I see nothing in the user guide or user manual on how to use it. Is it compatible with certain wireless flashes? So you need a wireless trigger device in the hot shoe to make it work? I'm not sure what selecting that option under the flash setting does. Does anyone know? I tired using an old standard none TTL flash unit I had and it would not trigger it. Every other camera I have had worked with it. It just has the center connector.
I do not have a RX-1, but do have a A99 with the new ISO type hot-shoe which looks identical. I have no idea if they are actually the same, but would strongly suspect they are ... except for the front pins under the lip to enable the external EVF which the A99 doesn't require.

The A99 works with radio senders, so I do not know why the RX-1 would not. If not it is a crime since this is a leaf-shutter with higher flash sync ... at least 1/500th with most radio transmitters, and even higher sync with new radios like the Profoto AIR transmitter.

With a radio transmitter in the hot-shoe, I did have to learn to turn off the view-finder effect in the menu in order to see anything when shooting in manual mode with strobes ... other-wise the viewfinder is dark/or black in a darkened studio with a fast shutter speed and stopped down lens.

The new 60 flash automatically turns off the viewfinder effect: when in the hot shoe and turned on.

The Sony wireless isn't a radio, it is IR ... so limited to line-of-sight and shorter distances. I haven't tried the new 60 flash with the older 58 flashes using the wire-less mode yet.

To my knowledge, Sony doesn't make a separate IR transmitter like the Canon STE-2.

Since this ISO hot-shoe is new, it'll be awhile before pass-through TTL radio transmitters are available ... I'll be on the look-out for the Phottix version to work with my other Phottix Stratos-II receivers.

The 60 speed-light flash for the Sony A99 is way to big for the RX-1 ... it remains to be seen if they produce the smaller speed-light with ISO shoe like they did previously with the Sony/Minolta shoe.

-Marc

P/S. does the RX-1 have a PC outlet? I can't see one in the photos of the camera.

V

Vivek

Flash, video and mic out put are in the "hot shoe". No separate PC outlet. There is a pop up flash instead. Goes well with the shape and the looks.

Because of the new hotshoe setup, any wireless (radio) trigger needs to be seated properly and attached firmly to have trigger capability. The front of the hotshoe is taken up by numerous propriety connections for video and audio outputs.

fotografz

Flash, video and mic out put are in the "hot shoe". No separate PC outlet. There is a pop up flash instead. Goes well with the shape and the looks.

Because of the new hotshoe setup, any wireless (radio) trigger needs to be seated properly and attached firmly to have trigger capability. The front of the hotshoe is taken up by numerous propriety connections for video and audio outputs.
No PC outlet with a leaf shutter lens? :thumbdown::thumbdown::thumbdown:

I suppose you could Rube Goldberg a set-up using a in-shoe adapter with a PC port, but those have too many contact points and are notoriously unreliable.

I just tried my MicroSync for the M9 on the A99 which would be a better sized radio transmitter for a camera like the RX-1 and it worked, then didn't work, then did ... which it will also do in the M9 hot-shoe ... as Vivek says it has to be properly seated.

The Profoto AIR works all the time on any camera including the M9 and A99.

-Marc

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
I spent an hour with a RX-1 in store yesterday...dispelling a lot of mis-information concerning the camera for myself.

NO PC outlet but the hotshoe would trigger a Canon 600 flash all the way to 1/2000 in M mode.

Focusing in A mode the lens does NOT stop down to focus...appears to in all other modes.

AF is suprisingly quick and seems accurate.

Shutter is dead quiet...as mentioned by others.

Screen on back is drop dead gorgeous...I may buy one and use it to view all of my digital files....just kidding.

Lens sharpness and contrast from distant objects is very good. Played with zooming in on captures for quite a while...not disappointed at all.

My only concern at present is that most of the portraits shown here are too close...35mm and gorgeous fall off bokeh of the lens tends to give everyone a mid-face spread that makes them look like they are in need of a mild rhinoplasty. Like looking into the convex reflection of a spoon...only milder.

If it had a built in optical finder I would buy two....

Bob

V

Vivek

My only concern at present is that most of the portraits shown here are too close...35mm and gorgeous fall off bokeh of the lens tends to give everyone a mid-face spread that makes them look like they are in need of a mild rhinoplasty. Like looking into the convex reflection of a spoon...only milder.
I did not see the need for plastic surgery of the subjects at all.

pophoto

Just a quick reply here, I've modified the Sony 20 flash somewhat to rotate with a Giotto mini ball head with flash cable, yes it's a bit of a monsterous TTL modification on top of the Rx1, but it works! It still isn't as big as or as heavy as a 60 unit on top.

Anyway back to the tramitter part, and a manual flash solution only but works well is to use Nikon flashes (900 and 910) in SU-4 mode and trigger with the on camera flash. I'm used to using flashes on DSLRs, so when systems don't offer small flash TTL options or good flashes it simply bothers the head outta me! Although the only reason I made a modification myself is that I am intrigued by Sony to offer the only proper flash rotate system or versatility and bounce, as offered by the 43, 58 and 60 flashes. Neither Canon or Nikon offer offer this genius rotate system for portrait mode to get the most out of the flash head!

I will post my silly monster modification photo setup later! Also I hate the idea that you need a huge flash unit to trigger, when sony released the accessories product photo, I was quite boggled by it! When they release something better, I will replace my silly setup in a FLASH :p

V

Vivek

Sony should have made a functional accessory (with a TTL outlet and all the other electric connections accessible) out of the thumb grip instead of a plain old machined part that many can do and for much less.

But, that would have pushed the rating to 9*. :ROTFL:

I look forward to seeing your contraption, Po (I would have visited a plumber's shop instead of the Giotto. There are many lightweight/strong/cheap plastic ball joints).

pophoto

Sony should have made a functional accessory (with a TTL outlet and all the other electric connections accessible) out of the thumb grip instead of a plain old machined part that many can do and for much less.

But, that would have pushed the rating to 9*. :ROTFL:

I look forward to seeing your contraption, Po (I would have visited a plumber's shop instead of the Giotto. There are many lightweight/strong/cheap plastic ball joints).
Yes, the THUMB GRIP to not offer functionality is totally DUMB!
Giotto, well it works and offers the right size screw thread!

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Or the viewer can get closer...
Actually your last set with the guitar player were wonderful....it is when the distance in less that it tends to look a little different. But that is why 35 has never been a first choice for headshots.

Bob

Shashin

Actually your last set with the guitar player were wonderful....it is when the distance in less that it tends to look a little different. But that is why 35 has never been a first choice for headshots.

Bob
I don't have a set with a guitar player. :confused:

I agree, your typical head shot is best at some other focal length. But baring that (unless I use the clear converter function, I really can't do a lot with the RX1), just make a 6' x 4' print and stand 3-4' away. Viewing distance will fix the problem too. ;)