The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

NEX-5R VS NEX-6

jfirneno

So, both the 5R and the 6 look like very worthy successors to my NEX-5N. I'd say that the 6 looks like the better package (because of the built in EVF) except for one thing, loss of the touch screen capability. Believe it or not, I've really grown attached to picking a focus point by touching it. Those who who have owned NEX cameras both with and without touch-screen, can you tell me whether I am really going to miss this feature.

Thanks,
John

douglasf13

So, both the 5R and the 6 look like very worthy successors to my NEX-5N. I'd say that the 6 looks like the better package (because of the built in EVF) except for one thing, loss of the touch screen capability. Believe it or not, I've really grown attached to picking a focus point by touching it. Those who who have owned NEX cameras both with and without touch-screen, can you tell me whether I am really going to miss this feature.

Thanks,
John
I missed it at first, moving from the 5N to 7, but, since I find myself using the EVF more with the 7, it's become less of an issue. The way I have the camera setup, I rarely go into menus, so missing the touch feature in that regard is no big deal. As far as shooting, it was nice to use touch zoom with manual lenses, but, again, I'm mostly using the EVF these days, so no biggie. I'd certainly like a touchscreen option, though.

V

Vivek

I have a 5N and have turned the touch option off. Compared to the Panasonic GH-2, the 5N offers very little with touch.

The only reason I could see for an "upgrade" is the faster auto focus available in 5R/6.

If I were you, I would go with the 6 for all the things it offers which are absent in in the 5s.

hot

I also think NEX6 is better :) ("a camera without viewer is a toy"). I NEVER used touchscreen with G3 or G2, but of course with TX7, TX9, TX100 ... hehehe, they have no buttons! TXxx are good cameras, but they are silly like smartphones. :D

Honestly, I don't know how camera manufacturers can craft a camera that keeps a majority of buyers happy these days - EVF vs. OVF vs. RF vs. No VF :) , Touch me, DON'T Touch me, APS-C vs FF vs m4/3 vs 1", Tilt LCD vs. fixed, interchangeable vs. fixed, etc., etc.

And unfortunately a percentage of owners feel the need to convince everyone else, that their preferences are idiotic.

On the upside, if you really know what you like, there is probably a camera out there for you today. Yet somehow I still feel like that perfect package of features alludes me.

back to the subject - 5R all the way! ;)

Hosermage

Does 5R LCD has the extra white pixel tech like RX100? If it does, then maybe it's not so bad. Harsh sun rendered the NEX5 unusable when I had it. Then I upgraded to 5N, but found the EVF made the camera awkward to put in the bag. So my vote will go to the NEX6.

On the topic of touch screen, when it also trigger the shutter, I found it very handy on the OMD when taking macro shots.

I will skip this generation from Sony, and hope that RX1 gives them enough of a signal to produce an interchangeable FF mirrorless for next year. If they can somehow figure out how to house it in the NEX6 body and incorporate a flipping touchscreen, all the better!

iiiNelson

NEX-6 because I don't need the 24MP of the NEX-7 but I would like a built in EVF/OVF in the camera. Either is a good camera - I think the NEX-6 has fewer flaws FOR ME.

mazor

I say 5R if you are heavily into Autofocus lens, and keep the same accessories you may have for the 5n.

The nex 6 in my view looks like a poor mans nex 7. It almosts looks like they got a nex7, ripped out the inside and put in a nex 5n inside, leaving of course the built in flash and EVF. Since they are both similar size nex 6 and nex7, nex7 would be the way to go. if you like that formfactor.

jfirneno

Thanks to everyone for interesting feedback. I went home last night and dug out my 5N manual. So if I set focus point to flexible then I can use the arrow controllers to move the focus point. Not as fast and easy as the touch method but well enough. So I think I'll go with the NEX-6 (if the AF and low light High ISO can beat out my 5N). The real deciding point has been how annoying the 5N add-on EVF is whenever I catch it on something while walking around with the camera. For me this almost negates the smaller size of the NEX-5N vs my A-850. Silly I know, but true. The big bulky DSLR seems less obtrusive than the NEX. Subjective experience equals reality.

Regards,
John

hot

I never would buy an additional viewer - it makes camera big and expensive. For same price you get a camera with viewer. Additional viewer is crap ... even when 360° rotable :D ... or 420° ...

pegelli

I currently have a bare "5", so won't miss the touch screen if I would upgrade to the "6" and that way get the built in viewfinder as compared to the external one., which for me would be the biggest attraction of an upgrade.

But before making the plunge I first want to see the WA corner performance, and see if it's similar to the 5N. When that is confirmed the GAS can start :grin:

hot

Everybody uses other features of his camera. It is bad, if 3 (out of 2.345 users) each week (in other forums) cry for video button, touchscreen, fewer pixels, more pixels, more lenses ...

WHY they don't buy another excellent, troubleless, .. camera, if their (NEX)camera is soooo bad?

V

Vivek

Everybody uses other features of his camera. It is bad, if 3 (out of 2.345 users) each week (in other forums) cry for video button, touchscreen, fewer pixels, more pixels, more lenses ...

WHY they don't buy another excellent, troubleless, .. camera, if their (NEX)camera is soooo bad?
Why don't you ask yourself this?: Why do Sony keep making new NEX' every few months? ;)

hot

They can make ONE new camera EACH day (or each half day) - youuuuu must not buy them! It's so simple!

V

Vivek

If we don't buy them who will? Whom do you think they make these versions and why do they move the wretched video button (btw, that change appears irreversible)? ;)

hot

Other manufacturers placed video button from backside to top - or viceversa. BACKSIDE even the biggest $%&$ didn't touch it accidently. It's a design feature ;-)

Look

LUMIX G2 - top
LUMIX G3 - back !

I ask myself HOW in January (NEX7 = new) I accidently could 3x touch video button. Since January NEVER! It's no trick, it's "brainwork", hehe ! Once "learned", never forgotten. It's like riding a bike or dancing waltz :)

iiiNelson

Other manufacturers placed video button from backside to top - or viceversa. BACKSIDE even the biggest $%&$ didn't touch it accidently. It's a design feature ;-)

Look

LUMIX G2 - top
LUMIX G3 - back !

I ask myself HOW in January (NEX7 = new) I accidently could 3x touch video button. Since January NEVER! It's no trick, it's "brainwork", hehe ! Once "learned", never forgotten. It's like riding a bike or dancing waltz :)
It's not the fact it's on the back... It's where on the back sony puts the video button. One the G3 it's not in a place where the thumb will normally be. On the NEX-5 at least it's close to the corner and my large hands have accidently pressed it numerous times in the 2 years I've had it.

hot

I have a very biiiig thumb, pressed video button on NEX5 NEVER accidently, on NEX7 only 3x during first 2 weeks. You should learn to handle your camera :))))