The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

Shac

shac, beautiful shots! i have a question about the pics taken with the kit lens. i'm trying to decide between the nex-6 and x-e1 with there kit zoom lenses. for me the nex ticks all the boxes except the out of camera jpg quality where fuji seems to have an advantage. the shots u took with the kit zoom lens are the first nex photos ive seen that give it a good fight. can u tell me how u took these photos and if u did any processing/filters?
thanks peter
Peter - thanks. Well this is the old kit lens, a friend has the new one and seems to like it. It's not great in the corners but centrally it's quite fine. I usually use manual primes, even when hiking/backpacking.
One thing I like about the Nex series is their small size and weight. As I said too, the Nex-6's handling and menus are a vast improvement over the 5N. The former also seems more solid. I think it's clearly smaller than the Fuji APS bodies isn't it? The only changes from the 5N I don't especially like are the SD card is much harder to extract in the 6, and when hiking the body hangs differently and swings more. Neither big deals.
As to processing - I shoot RAW and convert using Adobe DNG, then a little work in Adobe Raw (black-white points, tad of contrast and clarity and maybe a hair of Vibrance), then into PS if I need to sharpen and/or size for the web. Does that help. Most of the last shots I put up were shot as jpgs by the way.
Cheers
David

mazor

vivek, the 42 f1.2 is such a lovely lens. So narrow depth of field and yet not all that big. Simply a brilliant lens to own :)

V

Vivek

Though it balances well on the 6, it is a very difficult lens to work with, especially when there are no second chances. For flowers and other stationary subjects, to have nice fuzzy background that is a different story. :)