The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

V

Vivek

Old Soviet lens. Not very sharp but suitable for some purposes.

NEX-6, Jupiter-3 50/1.5

V

Vivek

Hard to believe that the lens was made in 1934! I was just expecting average performance (that too in monochrome). It will serve me well with a NEX monochrome camera or a Leica monochrome cam (whichever I get my hands on first).

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Leitz Hektor 2.8cm f/6.3

silasslack

Hey Vivek,

I have a NEX 5n and am thinking of the NEX 6. I almost exclusively use a Voigtlander 35mm f2.5 and a Zeiss 50mm f1.5 on it. I very rarely if ever use the Sony lenses..... Is the NEX 6 as good with these types of lenses as the 5n? Or does it have disadvantages like the 7??

I have been assuming it would be the same as the sensor is the same (?) But you would be the man to know...

S

V

Vivek

Hi Silas, I have neither of those lenses and have not tried them on the 5n or the 6.

The 6's sensor appears to behave exactly the same as that of the 5n. No worries about the corners.

Flash and the hotshoe work well. Since the EVF is built in, faster and longer lenses are easier to use on the 6.

You would really enjoy it. :)

PS: I have a monochrome project going with MaxMax and am specifically looking at the 5n. If that succeeds, one of my 6 will be converted to a monochrome camera. In this process, the AA filter (the sensor cover glass) will also go.

silasslack

Well that's reassuring -- I wouldn't want to suddenly have pink corners :)

Both those lenses are fantastic on the 5n, so the plan is a go!

The only things i would change on the 5n are the viewfinder, the flash, and the twiddly know on the back (it not having any of these) - so the 6 is a no brainer for me.

Your monochrome project sounds amazing -- How would software deal with the files where there is no colour filter? would it still interpret it as existing and so keep the loss of resolution? Or would you get a gain as with the Leica MM?

S

V

Vivek

Perhaps the Slacks could help with the software part of it? :) It is going to be an RGB read out (which is just fine by me).

Here is a snap with another old lens.

Untitled by Vivek Iyer, on Flickr
NEX-6, Fujinon-TV 50/1.4, UV fluorescence

Shac

Beautiful colors Shac. One of those rare days with a bit of light?
Thanks Vivek - yes overcast with rain (Hey this is the pacific northwest!!). A subject I will explore further when I'm next in Seattle.

Best
David

S

shaolin95

My first post here. :)
Loving my 6 and learning about it little by little.