The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

pegelli

Nice shots shac, that tamron lens seems a good deal on trips like this when changing lenses is not preferred. Colours and sharpness look very good a web size, how's it when you want to print for instance A3 size, still OK?

Here's some with my NEX 6 and the E 50/1.8 from Sony. It's a nice lens which optically doesn't dissapoint as well and seems good value for money.

It's the old Artois brewery (from the famous brand Stella-Artois) in Leuven being torn down, the light was dreadful when I was there, monotonous grey skies and a bit of a drizzle. Still not very unhappy how they came out

1: Artois

2: Existenz

3: Silos

4: Appartments

Shac

Pegelli thanks - yes it's useful for this kind of trip, but still a relatively big lens to hang round the neck. As for A3 sized prints - for my needs it's fine.
I like the colour rendition of your Artois pictures (also like Stella-Artois:D) especially 3 &4. Have been thinking about the 50 1.8 and the rendering of your images encourages me further. Thanks

pegelli

Very inviting scene Mark, the bird in the foreground gives it some extra depth.

From "There is a me in meeting", a performance by Lucas De Man and Ning Xi as part of the Theatre of Changzou event in theatre De NWE Vorst in Tilburg (Netherlands)

Catch me

I'm falling

I hate you

NEX 6 + E50/1.8

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am late to this party, but I now have two NEX 6 bodies. Like many here, I have tried most of the mirrorless cameras (too many to mention, apart from all the Panny G series, Fuji X-E1 with the three primes, a hacked GH-2, RX-100, LX-7...) and all these trials because I need decent video as well as decent stills AND all in a small form factor.

I had both the 5N and the 7, but sold both, for different reasons: the 5N has no built-in EVF (and although the clip on one worked well, it made for unfortunate ergonomics re. putting and removing from bags) and the NEX 7 finder in the copy I had just did not suit my eyes.

The NEX 6 does good video (I shoot in 1080p/24; mine are US models) and record second system sound; edit in Final Cut Studio. I shoot all manual, and adjust the ISO to adapt to lighting conditions; I wish the NEX 6 had a 0.3EV option for ISO for this use.

The lenses I have at present are the simply amazing Sigma "Art" lenses, the 30/2.8 (on the camera most of the time) and the 19/2.8. I have a CV 12/5.6 for wide once I find an adapter—what adapters do folk recommend, or should I re-buy the Hawk's one? I would be happy to not have the close-up facility with the CV 12, and I am not planning to use many LTM lenses apart from this one.

I have pre-ordered the Sigma 50/2.8.

The NEX 6 body is significantly more compact than the Fuji X-E1 (most of the bulk is in the lenses) and I did love the 35/1.4—but the Sigma 30 is a better focal length for me.

Do we have a NEX 6 "Tips and Tricks" thread here yet? Would anyone be interested in one?

For example, one of the really practical settings on the 6 is DMF and peaking combined: AF to get there, then MF to fine tune—and when the magnified image disappears, the peaking shows you the depth of the in-focus zone, which is remarkably helpful.

Anyhow, I have joined the club, and am in the process of selling all the others. One other aspect I like about the NEX 6 design is the grip: it is excellent.

V

Vivek

Hi Kit!

Any samples from the ART lenses?

I would strongly suggest the Speed Booster but that depends on if you have any suitable manual focus lenses from SLRs.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hello Vivek—nice to be back!

I will post a few images (mostly from the 30) when I get back home (I am on a silent retreat; just about to end). I use the 30 mostly wide open or (for exteriors) stopped down to ƒ4; initial inspection suggests that the Roger (LensRental) Cicala results are spot on.

And to be able to buy this lens new—with the 19/2.8—for a non-discounted price of $199 is simply amazing. The focus ring is well weighted and actually useable for MF (in fact focus on the eye re. the portrait of the co-presenter I will post, assuming I get his permission from him) was all done with DMF and MF assist combined).

And if you do not hit OK after moving the focus square via the lower soft key, that function stays active, meaning you can move, and re-move the square while you are shooting and not have to reselect it to do so. This is very practical and fast in practise.

Last edited:

Godfrey

Good to read this. I like some of the NEX 6 features and was thinking to give this body a try for use with my M-bayonet lenses. It has some things which are quite different from the GXR and would complement it if the sensor performs on par.

I'm keeping an eye on this thread to see what people use and how happy they are with it.

G

- Remember it is world pinhole day! -

Shac

Godfrey - I have the Nex-6 and find it fits my needs. I use with Leica M lenses, Olympus OM and Pen F lenses most often. Coming from a 5N the difference in handling, menus, etc. is a big improvement. Last December I tried a friend's Nex 6 and immediately went out and bought one. If you can try one in the store that might help you decide either way - take a card with you and look at the raw images at home. Good luck

I agree with Kit about "DMF and peaking combined" for AF lenses - works a treat

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek, how are the MF aids triggered with non-AF lenses (so, not like the Sigmas)? If one has 'shoot w/o lens' enabled, the camera will not know that a lens is attached—so are the selected MF aids (DMF and peaking, in my case) activated on a shutter half-press?

As well, how does one change the magnification ratio of the mag. area? When I was shooting the full moon the other night, I saw "4.8X" in the finder, but could not then increase this ratio. I know I could read the manual, but this seems unsporting...

Speaking generally now, the NEX 6 seems to be the best current compromise for the feature set I need.

and do we need a separate tips and tricks thread, or is it OK to use this thread for this?

cheers to all, kl

Shac

Kit - with an MF lens you must shoot with "shoot w/o lens" enabled otherwise it doesn't work. With this setting - and focus peaking set, focus peaking operates with both manual and AF lenses. However, DNF works only with AF lenses not with MF's (guess you realise this) For an enlarged (x4.8) image for focusing, you press the bottom button - "Soft key B" - focus peaking remains in operation. Press soft key B again and the image is enlarged (x9.6) further (but handheld, camera movement makes focusing difficult).
With an AF lens the max magnification with DMF is x4.8, and to get x9.6 with an AF you need to change to full MF.
Hope I understood your Q's correctly and the above helps.

V

Vivek

I found a prewar macro lens. Pretty good even under flat light.

NEX-6, Carl Zeiss Planar 2cm f/4.5

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Shac wrote:

For an enlarged (x4.8) image for focusing, you press the bottom button - "Soft key B" - focus peaking remains in operation. Press soft key B again and the image is enlarged (x9.6) further (but handheld, camera movement makes focusing difficult).
With DTMS set, that is a very difficult button to press; the magnification does not appear unless both the shutter button is half pressed AND one is turning the focus ring—and to move the thumb to Softkey B is possible, but usually (for me) it is difficult to do this while retaining the half-press on the shutter.

Ah: now I get it: this works as described if MF is selected. Very helpful indeed. I wish it could be simply activated in the DTMS mode too, but 4.8X will do in this mode. Thanks Shac!

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
What MF macro lenses are people using? MF is fine, of course; and I like focal lengths between 50–100.

And which adapters are people recommending for LTM/M mount lenses (I want to try my CV 12, which is the LTM version, and I have the LTM–M adapter on it already)?

pegelli

My most used (and probably favourite) macro lens on the NEX is an old M42 SMC Takumar 50/4. Very sharp, but also nice colours and out-of-focus rendering. Only problem (as wilth all Takumars) is that the focus direction is different from any other MF lens I have (Leica M and Olympus OM)

For the CV12 I suggest the Hawk adapter, so you get even closer focussing. Otherwise any Leica M to NEX mount adapter will do, as long as infinity focus is OK. I've got a second hand chaeper version from eBay (forgot the brand) that works fine.

Here's an example of the SMC Tak 50/4 at f 5.6 on the NEX 6

Last edited:

Shac

Kit - I mainly use Olympus macro 50 f3.5 and 50 f2 - both great and the 3.5 is very small. Just got 2 more both Olympus macros - Auto 80 f4 and Auto 135 f4 - going to be using them on the Olympus Auto Extension tube 65-115.
Also occasionally use the Nikkor 55 3.5 and Leica 60 2.8
As to M mount adapters - I use the Viogtlander (from Cameraquest - v. well made) and the Hawk's Factory with helicoid - which is really great for closeups as well.
All in all - great fun and great IQ - hope you have the same experience

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
OK all: what is the consensus of the strength of the NEX 6 AA filter? And (to Shac): which way rotation zooms in on Oly lenses; I can't recall! The ƒ3.5 looks like a winner.

Shac

Kit - with the camera/lens infront of you in shooting position - the focus ring of Olympus OM lenses turns clockwise from infinity to close-focus. A useful site is Lens Group - but beware of GAS:D at least this that effect on me. I have also been swayed by Vivek and have a few Pen F lenses as well
I'm not the one to ask about the AA filter - I am sure Vivek will have a good idea

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I think that's the direction of the Sigmas, so I have been looking for a decent OM 50/3.5; Quite a few around. I am assuming that around $200 will get a decent one, from what I see on evilbay. I should mention (if I have not already) I have a preorder in on the new Sigma 50/2.8, but I can see owning and using both. Cheers, KL