The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the NEX-6

wuffstuff

NEX 6 with Leica Summilux 50/1.4 ASPH.

Just got the camera. Adapter arrived this morning. A pleasure to use together.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am cross-posting this from Fred's site; and will probably post at DVXUsers, too:

I want to calibrate my ikan monitor which I use on the NEX 6 for critical focussing and video work; I am loosely familiar with the blue gun method, but am trying to load a jpeg of SMTPE color bars onto the SD card that I can play back to use—and have done so (put in the DICM folder Sony uses for stills), but the camera will not recognise this jpeg.

Does anyone know how to get the color bars onto the NEX 6 in a form it will recognise and be able to play back? I just tried renaming the color bars file as _DSC0470.JPG, following the Sony naming convention, but there must be some other invisible tag—Playback will still not recognise the file.

Otherwise, I can report that all the ikan functions work perfectly: guides, peaking, full screen, etc.: the peaking function, especially combined with the NEX 6 focussing aids, allows extremely fine focus. I am amazed that this quality is available at this price, and this newest of the Ikans has functions that the more expensive (7") ones do not.

Now: how to calibrate?

V

Vivek

Hi Kit,

I liked them. Unlike some, you actually link the getdpi threads, so, it is entirely appropriate to post them here. :)

One small correction. Your Sigma twins are not the repackaged ART lenses but the original DN lenses.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Vivek: thank you.

Re. the "Sigma twins": I understand that these are "DN" lenses, but somewhere I read that this pair (DN notwithstanding) were also part of the Art series; like the forthcoming 60/2.8. Here's a quote from DPR:

Sigma USA has given the price and introduction date of the 60mm F2.8 DN Art lens for mirrorless systems, originally announced at CP+. The 60mm DN will be available in the US for both Micro Four Thirds and Sony E-mount from mid-May at a cost of around $239.
I will look around further; but in any case, these lenses are really stellar; have you seen Roger Cicala's review? Cheers and thanks, Kit

turbines

Kit,

I bought the Kenko DG tube set for NEX and use them with my Sigma 30mm and my Olympus G-Zuiko 40mm 1.4. Both combinations produce good results and are very very sharp. I find myself reaching for the 40 most often as it gives better working distances. The Canon 250D, 500D or Nikon 3T closeup lenses are good options too.

I am making a real effort to rid myself of big heavy MF lenses that, even though good, are just too heavy and bulky on the little NEX body. I like traveling as light as possible and try to get the mostest from the leastest.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Vivek; that makes perfect sense—but the new DN 60/2.8 is an Art lens, and it's the same price ($229 B&H) as the Sigma twins—I wonder what's happening there?

No matter (and thanks for that link to your original thread, too). I remembered it as soon as I clicked on it—you must have had one of the first 30/2.8s in the world. I bought mine with the 19/2.8 from B&H for the paltry sum of $199; I still can't believe that. The 30 is a really good lens, and its bokeh is just lovely if you are close enough to the subject. cheers, Kit

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
A question to members here: can someone point me to an OM-NEX adapter that works? I just bought one from this seller, and the new (looks brand new) OM 50/3.5 macro will not seat in it.

If someone can suggest a reliable adapter, I will be grateful. cheers, KL

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Steen B very kindly sent me some Sigma lens info.; now I know what's going on. The Sigma 30/2.8 that Vivek and I both have is not an '"Art" lens but these lenses have also been discontinued, and the replacement lens is "Art" designated, as is the new 60/2.8 I am patiently waiting on. I have no idea whether the Art lenses are any better (the bodies of the lenses do look different, and the focussing ring is not rubberised, and I use DMF all the time)—I predict that our lenses will become classics.

But for me the good news is that the Roger Cicala Lens Rentals test I referred to tested the model that Vivek and I own. It is brilliant, and the 19/2.8 only fractionally less.

cheers, and thanks Steen!

Steen

Senior Subscriber Member

You are welcome, Kit :salute:

My suspicion is that the optical formula is exactly the same (at least it sounds like that from Sigma's own description of the lens elements),
and that it's just the outer design that has been renewed in order to introduce the new marketing categories: Contemporary - Art - Sports.

Thus I think you got yourself a bargain when buying the 'old' original outer design at an extremely affordable price
(though admittedly I do not know about the optical formula with sufficient certainty).

Shac

A question to members here: can someone point me to an OM-NEX adapter that works? I just bought one from this seller, and the new (looks brand new) OM 50/3.5 macro will not seat in it.

If someone can suggest a reliable adapter, I will be grateful. cheers, KL
Kit - The most reliable/well made are IMO the Novoflex - BUT they are very expensive. They do allow you to use a rotating tripod adapter (again very expensive) that relieves the strain on the camera body when using heavy lenses. I have the Nikon F version. There are cheap adapters that come with a fixed tripod foot - but the foot attachment is a little flimsy.

I do use cheaper Chinese adapters for my OM lenses and have had no problem other than having to tweaking the springs to firm up the mount. One thing I found with some of the Chinese sellers is that they respond well if you have a problem. Try contacting the one you bought it from and see if it can be resolved.

Good luck.
David

V

Vivek

Kit, I don't have a E to OM adapter. I use an E to EOS adapter and mount my OM lenses via another adapter (EOS to OM).

Your adapter should have similar construction. Although mine was not a problem at all with any of the lenses I use the tension to hold the lens comes from this slot (3 in an adapter at the lens mount). Pry it open ever so gently with a sharp knife or a flat head screw driver and see if that works.

If that fails, what David suggests above is the solution. Contact the seller.

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Thanks Vivek; I have an image of an attempt to mount the OM 50/3.5 here:

The lens will not seat fully (it sits ~1.5mm proud)—yet I cannot see what's stopping it. I will re-examing it when I go next door in an hour of so, and I will look at that little flap, too.

I have contacted the seller (you have to love this); his solution? Refund me $5! Further he claimed that all adapters were tested before they left the factory; I told him all I wanted was an adapter that worked. Let's see.

I know that rainbowimaging adapters are excellent but, unfortunately, they will not ship to Australia. I may have to get a friend of mine US to get one for me.

V

Vivek

Kit, Try pushing the lens release button (on the lens) while trying to mount the lens and see if that works. There is a tiny leg in the OM lens mount that protrudes and locks in to the camera mount (in this case, your adapter's mount).

Yes, I have had such (partial) returns. Quite rare though. Better than nothing, I suppose. :)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
Hi Vivek,

Tried that; no go.

The seller came back to me today, insisting that every adapter is tried on a lens before shipping, but also offered a full refund.

I took the adapter apart today; on inspection, the problem became clear—the internal machining is not deep enough for the lens boss; the removed ring will clear the bayonets perfectly, but it hangs on the boss.

The seller offered a new adapter, but insisted that the present one was fitted to an OM lens before shipping. I know this can't be true, so have requested the refund.

cheers and thanks, KL

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
NEX 6 Wish List:

Menu-selectable square format; with the Sigma 19/2.8, this would be my all-time preferred format for personal work.

I have ordered THIS adapter for the NEX 6: this should be killer for macro, too (and I want to try reverse tilt with the OM 50/3.5, assuming it's sharp wide open). Let's hope this fits!

pegelli

We haven't seen a normal shot in this fun thread for two weeks, way too long I think.

Maybe the technical discussion on lenses and adapters would be better in a dedicated thread and not in the "fun with", but I'll leave that for the mods.

Anyway, just showing what the NEX6 and 16-50 PZ kit can do with a good profile and some minor PP:

The Jesuit "Name of Jesus" University church in Wroclaw, Poland.

16 mm, f5.6, 2,5 sec, iso 400