The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

philip_pj

SP, I don't use chips on my lenses but the combo of peaking and magnification makes light work of focus challenges. How about the review in the EVF, isn't it great? Lovely IQ, very serene look to images (like petetsai's), I am so glad they kept that film like look from the a900. I find the shutter/mirror sound much more machine like, I am OK with that.

The device has almost too much customisability - a reaction the NEX thing they needed to do. Just work through the manual slowly and get a setup for manual focus - work out what you need or like in the EVF/LCD settings, just spend hours trying stuff. It is surprisingly compact too. It'll be interesting to see how this one sells, most people compare it with the decidely lower tech D600. All the best with it.

OK, I know we're all running around photographing flower pots and unsuspecting family members whilst we learn this new tool, but need to get some images going:

An Office in Philippines. Sony - Sony-Zeiss 24/2

Daughter with iPad - Sony-Zeiss 24/2. In-camera JPEG

The Kids - Sony-Zeiss 24/2. Incamera JPEG

Shashin

wentbackward, you need a dog or a cat. Absolutely a mandatory test target for a photographer.

Hah, funny you should say that mate, I might inherit one from my sister as she's was told by the management she could keep a dog when moving apartment and now they're saying no!

Shashin

And animals and kids get along so well. It is kind of a mellowing effect--parents just get too tired to care...

Good luck! ;)

jonoslack

Well - we have:
3 horses
25 chickens
3 cats
1 dog
. . . . . . and no camera
If anyone cares to lend me one I'll snap pets like billyo!

MikalWGrass

The a99 looks good so far. I need a faster autofocus 24 than my ancient Minolta 24/2.8 for the a900 and maybe the a99 if I decide to pull the trigger. Any recommendations?

N

numero

Pics of NYC are yummy .. How bad is the 'hunting' in low light? If any .. :lecture:

The a99 looks good so far. I need a faster autofocus 24 than my ancient Minolta 24/2.8 for the a900 and maybe the a99 if I decide to pull the trigger. Any recommendations?
The Sony Zeiss SAL24F20 is an option, it's a fine lens, doesn't have the punch I expected. The 24-70/2.8 SAL2470Z is a great option if you don't mind the weight and a little visible distortion.

If the best A/F out there is what you want then SAL24F20 doesn't support DMF focusing, whereas the SAL2470Z does and is also 2.8 as with your existing lens.

Sorry not DMF should be DMA! Depth Map Assist. It's where the focus extends beyond the 19 primary A/F sensors into a larger sensor area. If you use/need continuous A/F or tracking this is a useful feature.

(DMF will work with the SAL24F20, its where the camera will focus on shutter half press and immediately put you into manual override with peaking if turned on)

Had the 24-70/2.8 but sold it because it was too slow. What is DMF focusing?
If that's the case, then I think the SAL24F20 is also too slow. I have both lenses and tried them side by side. Negligible difference on a single shot focus. The SAL2470 seems much better behaved when recording motion.

K

Khatsalano

Just wondering if Aperture,and I take it LR4 do not support the a99 at this time is it because Sony like Nikon and Cannon will not work with Adobe or Apple to speed things up.

Last edited: