The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

etrigan63

Mikal,
I agree about the roosters. They are way cooler. Just a much longer walk. I was wearing a Manchester United shirt last night (blue/black horizontal stripes) and I sport a prematurely white goatee (no 'stache) which makes me look like some old Klingon. My avatar is a self-portrait.

emr

It all looks great
I'm very disappointed that the new Apple RAW update doesn't include the A99 as Aperture is my choice of developer.
Apple RAW support for SLT-A99 available NOW (in addition to cameras such as NEX-6, NEX-5R, Panasonic GH3 etc.)

Irenaeus

"if anyone thinks this technology "war" is something to be won, you are mistaken. All we are doing is creating poverty in our own field."

When all I want to do — unqualified though I am — is to create poetry in my own field!

Irenaeus

kuau

Workshop Member
Well, my A99 is on a UPS truck somewhere in Miami. I picked up a spare battery at my local dealer (who now carries the full Sony lineup) but they did not have any chargers at the moment. A little hunting came up with this from Amazon:

Polaroid Double (Dual) Battery Charger

$29 for those of you investing in the battery grip and extra batteries.
Carlos can you confirm this charge does indeed work with the A99
Steven

V

Vivek

Yeah, I thought she is. :)

Question about the flash is due to the highlights and the red in the eye.

etrigan63

Oddly enough, it isn't red-eye but purple fringing. Havent figured out how to correct that in Aperture. In LR4 it is stupid simple. I used the included adapter but it isn't very solid as the Minolta style foot is a bit wobbly. I picked up a HVL-F43 from Big Box to hold me over but I will likely return it and get an HVL-F60 instead.

V

Vivek

Oddly enough, it isn't red-eye but purple fringing. Havent figured out how to correct that in Aperture. In LR4 it is stupid simple. I used the included adapter but it isn't very solid as the Minolta style foot is a bit wobbly. I picked up a HVL-F43 from Big Box to hold me over but I will likely return it and get an HVL-F60 instead.
I did not think it was a "red eye". I do find this sort of fringing while using (pretty much any lens) and a flash on the NEX-6 (LR4 processing) as well.

etrigan63

Some updates:

Mikal was kind enough to loan me his ZA 85/1.4 and Leitax converted R.50/1.4. He also spotted me his HVL-F58M flash as well. The power of GetDPI in action! I still have to shoot some with the R.50 but I can safely say that the ZA 85/1.4 is indeed a stellar performer. Even in video. While I am not a video person, I was shanghai'd by my 12 year old son into helping him with a science fair project that required a video presentation. The A99 was the first pro level camera I ever owned that did video. You can tell that Sony knows a hell of a lot about video. Between the A99 & the ZA 85/1.4 I was able to shoot some footage that was super sharp, well exposed and only mildly boring. Focus peaking worked amazingly well and editing on my Mac Pro was a very simple affair with iMovie (which read the clips right off the card into the project I had open). I am going to shoot more video and really try to incorporate that into my shooting style.

MikalWGrass

I met Carlos / Etrigan63 earlier today. What a nice guy!!!! We sat in my office for about 15 minutes discussing the virtues of the a99, and he even helped me with a few quick tips in LR4 that will help me with some of my water polo shots, and with my pictures overall. Carlos, thank you for your help. It was a pleasure to meet you.