The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

fotografz

I surrender!

I have just placed my A99 order with new 60 flash, and free SD card (also ordered two 32 gig cards), free overnight shipping, so it'll arrive by 10:30AM tomorrow.

I'm not thrilled, but as the Mafia says, "It's just business". However, some of the shots and comments here helped me get over the hump ... I'll just learn how to use the EVF for it's advantages, and revert to the A900 for when it is best or preferred.

I will now fire sale my back-up A900 but keep the other A900 and the two 58 flashes that I use with off-camera radio lighting.

I completely investigated swapping systems, or adding a second system to one Sony A900, and it all adds up to way more money than I'm willing to put against 35mm DSLRs. Good deals on the Nikon D800, but add in the lenses needed and files that are over-kill for how I use a 35mm DSLR = no thanks ... same for a Canon 5D-III which was more in line with my applications ... yet after adding in lenses and flashes = no thanks.

I have all the Zeiss glass I need, and the Sony 70-200APO is stellar for the few times I use it. I got into the Sony Alpha system for the look and feel of the Zeiss glass over that of Nikon or Canon ... and this just preserves that decision. The A900 wasn't a perfect solution (no live view, no ability to mirror shoot to two cards), and neither is this one ... but I'll get used to it, master it, and get on with the stuff I use a 35mm DSLR for.

It was, and still is, about the glass.

Thanks all, both Pro and Con ... it helps.

-Marc

jonoslack

Good Luck Marc
I suspect you'll learn to find the EVF more attractive than you thought. In the end function tends to make the heart grow fonder!
all the best

MikalWGrass

Marc,

You're killing me. I was waiting for your decision before I even entertained the thought of selling the a900 and getting the a99. Carlos was kind enough to let me fondle the a99 and look through the EVF. Looking through an EVF was kind of funky but if the pros outweigh the cons, and this is the wave of the future............

fotografz

Marc,

You're killing me. I was waiting for your decision before I even entertained the thought of selling the a900 and getting the a99. Carlos was kind enough to let me fondle the a99 and look through the EVF. Looking through an EVF was kind of funky but if the pros outweigh the cons, and this is the wave of the future............
I'm in a different place than you are Mikal. If I didn't have a second A900 to keep, I wouldn't give up a A900 to have this camera. The only reason to get an A99 is for a bit higher ISO, and live view ... and not spend an arm and leg to get it. A tax write off before Dec. 31st is also nice ;)

IMHO.

-Marc

MikalWGrass

Marc, I hear ya. Maybe I will just get a longer lens so I can shoot my son's water polo games without having to crop in the post processing. I could use the higher iso but believe it or not, I would rather save my money and get a used M9 and use the hell out of the M 50/1.4 pre ASPH that I have had for 12 years.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I just received my eye-fi card. I have my A99 set to shoot jpg and raw. I'm putting the jpg on card1 and raw files on card2. Card1 is my eye-fi and the jpgs are going right over to my Mac. I wanted to get this up and running first. Now I will install the app on my ipad and switch over to iPad. The install is very easy.

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

I surrender!

I have just placed my A99 order with new 60 flash, and free SD card (also ordered two 32 gig cards), free overnight shipping, so it'll arrive by 10:30AM tomorrow.

-Marc
I'll be very interested just how the EVF works for you, Marc. I use the a99 for wildlife so our uses are quite different but I've become addicted. The a900 is definitely the back-up camera now.

Let us know when you've had a chance to be assimilated!

Bill

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
This sounds great, Cindy - which eye-fi card did you get? I'm likely to follow you.
Bill
Bill, I bought the Eye-Fi X2 4GB. The 4GB seems to work well since I am keeping my raws on a bigger card in slot 2 and only small jpegs are going to the eye-fi card. I'll probably buy another larger one now that I know that it works.

Michiel Schierbeek

I surrender!

I'm not thrilled, but as the Mafia says, "It's just business". However, some of the shots and comments here helped me get over the hump ... I'll just learn how to use the EVF for it's advantages, and revert to the A900 for when it is best or preferred.

It was, and still is, about the glass.

Thanks all, both Pro and Con ... it helps.

-Marc
Congratulations, Marc! :)

I think you will start to like/love the EVF especially in combination with your
manual lenses.
I am thinking of this camera as well, although I don't really want to go big again, therefore I would prefer a smaller compleetly mirrorles
solution. If your waitng for it it takes a hell lot of time to make one.
(yes, I know there is the Leica M for more then twice as much)

Would like to hear from you what you think of the A99.

Michiel

Last edited:

fotografz

Good Luck Marc
I suspect you'll learn to find the EVF more attractive than you thought. In the end function tends to make the heart grow fonder!
all the best
Actually, I really subscribe to that notion Jono. If something results in better shots, or better said, makes better shots happen more consistently, I take to that piece of gear and become fond of it :)

The idea of conceiving of a shot and the tool works with you rather than against you to achieve it, is the criteria.

-Marc

fotografz

I'll be very interested just how the EVF works for you, Marc. I use the a99 for wildlife so our uses are quite different but I've become addicted. The a900 is definitely the back-up camera now.

Let us know when you've had a chance to be assimilated!

Bill
Thanks Bill. I'm no stranger to EVF ... I tried it with an A77 and owned a A55 for a while. I didn't stick with either one mostly because they were crop frame and really didn't bring any IQ to the party over the A900 especially higher ISOs ... so the EVF penalty wasn't worth it.

This camera seems to bring more to the party ... plus, I'm not adverse to experimenting with video ... motion is how I made my living for 30+ years. Then again, that may feel more like work :ROTFL:

-Marc

fotografz

Congratulations, Marc! :)

I think you will start to like/love the EVF especially in combination with your
manuale lenses.
I am thinking of this camera as well, although I don't really want to go big again, therefore I would prefer a smaller compleetly mirrorles
solution. If your waitng for it it takes a hell lot of time to make one.
(yes, I know there is the Leica M for more then twice as much)

Would like to hear from you what you think of the A99.

Michiel
Thanks Michiel.

I really don't use manual focus lenses on 35mm DSLRs anymore.

It will be hard to form an opinion about this camera until I shoot a full wedding with it. Weddings and events are the only reason I have any 35mm DSLR at all. I travel with a M digital, and shoot portraits and table top commercial with a Medium Format camera.

But I do have a couple of hyper little doggies that are real clowns ... so insipid pet pics are not beneath me, and that'll probably be my first subjects with this camera while getting used to it. :rolleyes:

Stay tuned.

-Marc

Ben Rubinstein

Hi Marc,

Sure you've done the same thing but downloading comparison RAW's from Imaging Resource I find the colour and facial tonality of the A99 to beat the 5D3 and D800 in that order.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
I have the 43 and a generic Minolta flash, as well as the 20 for my NEX7. I am interested in the 60 flash and any flash trigger solutions that anyone comes up with.

etrigan63

Cindy,
I am field testing a WonderBurst HS8800 flash trigger from Fotodiox. I will be testing the PocketWizard 3 when they arrive. So far, it works with my studio strobes, but I am awaiting my 60 for further testing.

fotografz

Marc, i only have a wife and some grown up children.
I think i should get myself some animals as well for camera testing.. :D
:ROTFL:

My kids fled the nest long ago and moved far away (hope it wasn't something I said), The wife doesn't move around fast enough these days to test the AF speed.

So I got a little Chihuahua ;) ... but ya gotta use a higher shutter speed even for static shots because the darned thing shakes when it's just sitting there. :)

-Marc