The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

etrigan63

I know you would Mike. What do you think of my new logo on the last image? I was trying to come up with something clever, yet simple for Carlos Echenique Photography as typing that out in a watermark can blot out quite a bit of image. The symbol is a combined lower case "c" and "e".

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Carlos,
I like the simple watermark, but like the one on the lens baby photo best.
I will be joining back in soon. Keep the images coming. :thumbs:

etrigan63

Really Cindy? I thought the reverse E was cool but some folks might have a harder time seeing it as such. That's why I tried the lower case letter approach.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
It was raining in the desert today. I love rain in the desert.
Robert (monza) just put the Leitax (and James Lao chip) A-mount adapter on my Leitz 50 f1.4 Summilux-R.

Lampstand on London Bridge at f/1.4

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
How's the peaking with the Summilux? Mike loaned me his but i found the operation of the lens a bit flaky.
I made a Memory location for MF settings. Once I did that, I was very happy with the operation. I use the magnify button to allow critical focus. I am already used to the lens. I have used it for several months on my Nex7.

My only concern is the whirring that goes on when I turn the camera off. It goes on longer than when I have a MF Rokinon on it. Seems like that would be hard on the battery. I tried turning steady shot off and it made no difference.

What did you find flaky about the lens?

etrigan63

The whirring has nothing to do with SteadyShot. Sony has a habit of parking all lenses at infinity focus (collapsing them like a P&S camera). That's the in body focus motor spinning to "park" the lens.

Mike's lens would only focus peak if I was turning the focus ring counter-clockwise, never clockwise. Very odd.

50/1.4. This lens is in a totally different league to it's price. It knocks the socks off my old Nikon 50/1.4, and is getting close to the leica 50 lux in terms of smoothness (obviously no where near as sharp and colour does not compare). In addition, with the A99, it's superduper light to carry around!

An image cropped to 4x5 and then upsized for printing at 32". Needless to say it looks stunning and could go much larger. I'll post the actual image shortly. (actually above is 36" wide, the image is 32" wide).

MikalWGrass

Cindy and Carlos,

The 50 R lux is a funky beast in that it focuses better depending upon which way it is being focused. I have no idea why. My thinking is that the Lau chip is not that accurate or the chip might be bad. My old eyes seem to give me better focus confirmation than does the chip about half of the time. I would use the lens more if I could depend upon the focus. Regardless, when I nail the focus, the lens is a dream.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Wentbackwards, You have a beautiful family and your photos of them are wonderful.

Mikal, I only bought the Lau chip so that steady shot would have the lens length info. I'm not using the green dot. I'm used to focusing this lens on the NEX with the magnify feature. I think it is a magnificent lens. I had another copy that I used on the Canon 5D back in the day. Focusing on the A99 is a breeze compared to back then.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Mikal,
I just checked and my lens displays focus peaking no matter which way I turn it. I tried it wide open and also stopped down.