The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Took my A99 and NEX7 to Vegas this week. I really am starting to appreciate the A99 more, though I like the NEX size better. Can't beat the A99 files.
Here are a few from this week with A99 and Leitz 50 f/1.4 Summilux-R

Centrifuge tubes in Aria Mall

Girls in the Centrifuge

Bar at Encore/Wynn

Only in Vegas.... Venetian

Belagio Conservatory- re-creating a Warhol with flowers

Conservatory flowers

etrigan63

I posted this over in the Lighting Forum but figured it applied here too.

Single Light Studio Shots

Both shots:
Sony A99 + Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 @ 70mm + f/4.5
1/60s
Manual
Sony HVL-F60M + Gridded Beauty Dish on stand camera left at 1/2 power
Triggered via PocketWizard III + FlashZebra Adapter Cable

Mel by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Carlos by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

Here's the rig. No backdrops used.

The Rig by Carlos Echenique, on Flickr

etrigan63

I am much, much better. Thanks for asking. I am buying Marc's Sony 70-200 G + 1.4x TC kit he has listed in the B/S section. I have a bootcamp style beginner's photography class being listed on livingsocial.com (soon) and plan on using some of the profits to acquire that lens combo. I know Marc takes very good care of his gear and I want to help him out too.

ecsh

Got to try out my new Sigma 70-200 OS version today. Not bad at 200mm, whereas my Sony was soft. SOOC Jpegs

kuau

Workshop Member
ECSH,
So in your humble opinion, the "newest" Sigma 70-200/2.8 outperforms the Sony version?
What about at 70mm, 135mm at F5.6 or F8?

Carlos, I was going to purchase Marc's lens to, but keep hearing rumors about a new one coming out. Oh well I am sure you will love the lens.

Steven

etrigan63

ecsh,
can you post some shots at f/4 at various focal lengths? This is what I shoot for ballet and need to check the sharpness. The Sony has the advantage with the extra focus points and in-body range limiter on the A99.

ecsh

Marc
That is more than possible. I had two soft copies of the 70-200, and gave up until this Lens. I saw the fawn image and its very nice, but, to be honest with you, its not twice the price nicer for a hobbyist.<G>
Joe

fotografz

Marc
That is more than possible. I had two soft copies of the 70-200, and gave up until this Lens. I saw the fawn image and its very nice, but, to be honest with you, its not twice the price nicer for a hobbyist.<G>
Joe
I Understand the price issue ... getting incremental improvements always cost more ... so it really depends on needs and use.

Frankly, the current prices of all the big three camera company's lenses are getting crazy ... $2,300 for a Canon 24-70/2.8? Really? You'd think there was no recession, and it was boom times world-wide.

As these companies jack up the resolution to 36 meg and beyond ... the lenses have to get better and better. The problem with that is everyone suffers the higher cost lenses whether they want mega-meg cameras or not. :facesmack:

-Marc

kuau

Workshop Member
Trying to keep this thread alive.
I went to D.C. yesterday with Dave VA, another get dpi friend.
Unfortunately this was not a good year for the Cherry Blossom festival.
Oh well at least we went to check it out.
Here is one taken with my A99 and Zeiss 50/2

Steven

kuau

Workshop Member
Just wondering if anyone is using the VG-C99 vertical grip with there A99?
If so any opinions on it besides it's high cost?
Thanks
Steven

billbunton

Subscriber Member
I have it and love it. I've always thought Sony had the best vertical grip for actually using as a vertical grip, and with three batteries I've never actually run out of power.