The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the A99!

kuau

Workshop Member
Yat, great stuff, Promote when did you get an A99? Nice to see you in the "club"
Cindy, great images also. How are you liking the A99?
I just moved again, ugh, back in Park City Utah, hope to shot soon. I picked up the new Tamron 24-70/2.8 and the matching 70-200/2.8, nice lenses for the price.

Carlos, question, I had to do a shoot the other night, 6400 ISO shot raw, using the APC mode 10mpix, can you tell me what formula you are using in LR for noise reduction without killing sharpness ?

Here is the image I took on the US Ski Team website
http://usskiteam.com/news/athletes-join-forces-hurricane-hope

Steven

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Thanks, Steven and Mikal.

Steven, This is my favorite DSLR size camera ever (I know it is a DSLT)!:D I was using mostly manual focus lenses (except a couple of older Minoltas), until about 2 months ago. Then I got the Zeiss 24-70 and the Sony 70-200 and extender. I'm loving the camera even more now. The Zeiss is amazing. If I could only have one lens for this camera, that would be the one.

Mikal, Not out of camera. Used LR5, PS6, and SEP2.

Landscapelover

Senior Subscriber Member
Hi Steven...Great to see you here!
It started with Leica (S2) and then Zeiss lenses. Then I've discovered the Sony A99 is such a fantastic camera especially the EVF.
Pramote

Jim DE

Well I got a good deal on a new a99 and went ahead and got it...... Now, I see why this thread is so slow..... It's just a consistent shooter so there is little to talk about. I should of bought one of these last year!

Now, I can just go out and shoot and pay no attention to what new widget is today's star of the minute........ I'll look in 3 years when my Sony ADH warranty expires :)

Michiel Schierbeek

Congratulations Jim!
It's been on my mind for a while but I first want to see the FF NEX.

Don't forget to show us your pic's and findings.:)

What lenses did you start with?

Jim DE

I already owned a array of Minolta, KM, and Sony full Frame glass but my guess is the 70-400 will live on it the most as I bought it mostly for low light high ISO wildlife work. I will miss the reach of my APC's but not the noise. I can't put it into words yet but there is definitely a visible IQ difference even on just basic images. High ISO noise is nowhere near my a77's issue with this item. I was shooting 3200 and 6400 today and found this very usable where on the 77 I never would take it over 1600. I used to cringe taking my 77 to 400-800.

Cindy Flood

Super Moderator
Civil War re-enactment of the 1863 northern Georgia Battle of Chickamauga
Wade House, Greenbush, Wisconsin 2013
Sony A99 and Sony 24-70 f/2.8 ZA

Jim DE

Very nice Cindy!

I see why there is very little activity on the A99 thread..... it just does what it is supposed to do, plain and simple. I thought mine would live with the 70-400G on it but I am actually liking 3 of my KM zoom's on it more than I have ever liked using any of this glass before on any other of my cameras. It just plain works! This body along with my a77, a33, Nex7, Nex5 (in a underwater housing) and my DP2m on a Nodel Ninja have all my bases covered and will keep me off the GAS merry go round for quite awhile.............

In a sling bag with the 3 KM lenses and a Metz flash it does not weigh that much more nor is is much larger in size than my NEX7 systems sling bag and all it's lenses.

fotografz

Very nice Cindy!

I see why there is very little activity on the A99 thread..... it just does what it is supposed to do, plain and simple. I thought mine would live with the 70-400G on it but I am actually liking 3 of my KM zoom's on it more than I have ever liked using any of this glass before on any other of my cameras. It just plain works! This body along with my a77, a33, Nex7, Nex5 (in a underwater housing) and my DP2m on a Nodel Ninja have all my bases covered and will keep me off the GAS merry go round for quite awhile.............

In a sling bag with the 3 KM lenses and a Metz flash it does not weigh that much more nor is is much larger in size than my NEX7 systems sling bag and all it's lenses.
I can't echo your sentiments enough Jim! I'm also guilty of not posting pics here ... so I will.

The A900, and now A99, are my workhorse cameras. Maybe a bit unsung compared to the exotic Leica MM and S2 I use for so much "other" work ... but a trusted tool that does what it supposed to do, when it is supposed to, and does it without much fiddling around or fan-fare ... or need for much post work.

Like the A900, the out of camera A99 color is natural looking and not as flat as my previous work-horses ... so both Sony cameras have cut my post time in half, and the A99 even more so because the EVF shows you exactly what you are going to get.

BTW, I think Cindy's images above show that "natural look" quite well.

Compared to the A900 (one of which I still have), the A99 also added features that made it more useful for the applications I use a 35mm DSLR for. Weddings first and foremost, where it shares duties with the Leicas, but performs better than the S2 in low light when shooting color, focuses faster, has a much faster to use and more diverse speed-light system, allows in-camera panoramic shots, and the amazingly articulated LCD lets me shoot low or overhead shots without "Hail-Mary" guessing, or further destroying my poor knees :eek:

That every lens you bolt on is stabilized, including fast primes, is no small matter :thumbs:

The A99 is also the "FamilyCam" ... when family visited from Pennsylvania, we bought a 13 year old nephew "car nut" a ride in an AC Cobra at Detroit's Woodward Dream Cruise ... see pic below. Unfortunately, I wasn't there when, out of camera range, the driver just about loaded the kids pants when he really "Let loose the dogs of war" in the almost 700 HP Cobra ... :ROTFL:

I also use the A99 for simple walk about duties.

Since this is a "fun with" thread ... here is some fun with the A99:

The "3 Chihuahua's in a basket." is a walk-about find ... the eccentric fellow rescues them from mistreatment, and takes them everywhere like they were his kids or something. Articulated LCD used for the low angle.

Same for the Ring-Beared shot, which didn't require getting down on my knees from which I may never have gotten back up in time for the following Bride/Dad processional shot close behind ;)

The Panoramic shots, while jpgs out of camera, are much better than the A55 I once had ... FF sensor and more meg, I guess.

The dance shot shows simple on-camera flash used with dragging the shutter techniques ...

- Marc

Jim DE

Very nice images Marc!

I agree with all you said about the A99 and that speaks volumes about this tool. It just does it's job with no glitches or hitches so we can do our's. Really that is a tribute in itself to this camera and all we can reasonably expect from our photographic tools.

I know the Sony rumor mill is near in a lather about the new FF bodies about to be announced but since buying the a99 and using it I could care less what they come out with in the next 3-5 years. I found my ideal tools.

fotografz

Thanks Marc, just as I banished from my mind the thought of ever getting / wanting the a99.:banghead:
I still think the A99 isn't for you Mikal. Too many "gizmos" ... and the EVF will have you flinging it into the pool at those swim meets you shoot :ROTFL:

Although the articulated LCD might be your cup of tea for those more creative angles you like to do. Plus, I don't know if the video thing might be of interest and use to you. I haven't even tried it on the A99 yet.

IMO, you are doing more than fine with your A900 ... I'd wait for the next one from Sony.

- Marc

MikalWGrass

Thanks Marc. Now I will pay some bills or order that Concept 2 rowing machine I have been wanting for 20 yrs. I will send you a private message.