The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

35mm F0.95

Rawfa

I have JUST got the NEX 35mm F0.95. As I went from the post office straight to work, so I cannot say much but I will be posting some samples and some more elaborate comments later on. I will take a 10 day vacation through Brazil´s northwest beaches and I plan to take this lens along the 16mm pancake (which is the only AF lens I have and the one I use underwater).
My first impression is that this is one heavy lens...

mazor

please tell rawfa ;) I know there is 0.95 len from VC for MFT, but not for 1.5x crop

--edit---

Ahh thx looking it up now

mazor

wonder what the sharpness will be like at 0.95, and will it be a bit dreamy creamy like the SLR magic 50mm 0.95.

Rawfa

Some very very very quick tests. All shot at iso 100, f0.95, 1/50 (some 1/20). Next friday I have a birthday at a bar which should allow me to test a lot of low light shots.

mazor

thx for posting, excellent tempter type shots. the truth in the telling is when you use it in extreme light situations, and shiny chrome subjects. ;)

f/otographer

Wow. I really like these. Are the close up shots on the eyes and teeth crops or do they show the actual minimum focus distance of the lens?

Again, nicely done. I have been interested in this lens and waiting to see some real life examples from it. Thanks for posting these. Cant wait to see more.

Rawfa

Thanks, these are close ups...not crops. I haven´t had any time to test the closest focusing distance but it seems to be really close.
I´ll have more time to do some testing this weekend.

f/otographer

Thanks, these are close ups...not crops. I haven´t had any time to test the closest focusing distance but it seems to be really close.
I´ll have more time to do some testing this weekend.
That is very good to hear. This lens just went up in my estimation. I love lenses that close focus as it suits my style of photography. Time to save my pennies and look at getting one of these.

Cant wait for further exampels. :)

Rawfa

Thanks for the comments, fellas. Like I said these are very very quick tests. I just put the camera on a tripod and plugged it into my high def TV so I could quickly frame my self, then I shot with a remote. It´s hard to comment on quality so far but my first impression is very good. A was very afraid this lens would have a lot of glow/ghosting at f0.95, but even though you can see a little bit of it it´s hardly noticeable...FOR me it´s totally usable at f0.95. Another thing I have to comment is that this lens is very heavy and big. It´s not your portable everyday combo.
Also, these photos were staged. I´m yet to test this lens on real live situations. I think this birthday I have this weekend and these 10 days travel I´m going to take will be the perfect opportunity to test this babe.

Michiel Schierbeek

Rafa, the lens (build) looks good and your examples look good but shows to little to tell.
Very curious. I suppose it is about the same size as the VC 35/1.2.
Did you buy the silver or black version?

Michiel

Last edited:
V

Vivek

This lens seems fine for the price. I am holding out for another optics that would hopefully appear soon and change the fast lens scenario dramatically.

V

Vivek

With apologies to Rafa for the OT posts, Mikal, can't say more at the moment. I have been waiting for > year now it is not going to be that a long a wait. (Check your bank lending policies and such. These are tough times and it takes longer to go from a prototype to production.)

mazor

niced shots rawfa, wil be interesting to see gthe bdays shots, esp looking out for the absense of glow effect at 0.95

mazor

great stuf rawfa, will be interesting to see how this lens performs, ie purple fringing, glow etc.

Rawfa

Some more shots I took a birthday. Except for the flash ones they are all from iso 800 to iso 1600 at f0.95. I can tell you it´s haaard to shoot moving objects this wide open (I have no trouble with my Pentax 50mm f1.4). All jpegs.