The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Fun with the RX-1

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I wouldn't call the image quality of the RX1 "a marginal improvement"- at least when compared to m4/3rds. I think it's a notable improvement- whether that improvement matters to you or you can use it, or is useless to you is another matter.

The #1 thing I am looking at this camera is for the leaf shutter (silence) combined with its great high ISO capability (not to mention fast lens).

That said, I want to see what happens with the X200.

- Raist
The improvement is huge! For sure a combination of advanced sensor technology, advanced image processing, Zeiss glass and maybe also the fixed mounted lens!

V

Vivek

The prominent onion ring OOF highlights is a flaw coming out of the aspherical elements in the lens. Highly undesirable.

retow

A first few. Jpegs only as aperture does not support RAW yet. Nice and smooth, but not as wow as DP2M files.

Last edited:

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Folks,

looking at all those great shots here, make me really want the RX1 - unfortunately, as I was putting myself in the resist mode this time. Not sure how long I can resist ...

Keep them coming ;)

You can't resist .
I could resist . . . . today , as I could not put my hands on the RX1 .
It was too crowded at my local dealer .
But what happens after X-Mas ? When it is not crowded ?

Shashin

But what happens after X-Mas ? When it is not crowded ?
Hopefully, the stock will be sold out and on backorder for 6 months. At that point you could try to convince yourself the FF Nex is just around the corner.

In the meantime, cut up you bank and credit cards...

Shashin

A little more zone focusing. Not happy with Sony's poor DOF implementation.
Joe, I have not been doing a lot of zone focusing with rx1, but I setup my camera to have AF on the C button. In MF, I use that to focus at a point in the scene at a specific distance and then snap away. To reset focus, I simply repeat.

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Hopefully, the stock will be sold out and on backorder for 6 months. At that point you could try to convince yourself the FF Nex is just around the corner.

In the meantime, cut up you bank and credit cards...
The risk is reduced a lot since I have the new iMAC on order :)

Joe, I have not been doing a lot of zone focusing with rx1, but I setup my camera to have AF on the C button. In MF, I use that to focus at a point in the scene at a specific distance and then snap away. To reset focus, I simply repeat.
Sounds like a good technique. Will give it a try. What about tracking with the Rx1 - any success?

pophoto

Shashin, what is the menu selection to have it set to AF?
I have been looking for it, but no selection I have tried seems to do this.

Thanks,
Po

Shashin

Shashin, what is the menu selection to have it set to AF?
I have been looking for it, but no selection I have tried seems to do this.

Thanks,
Po
Setup menu 3 > Func. of C Button > AF/MF Control Hold.

The C button will only activate AF in MF, but not in DMF or AF focus modes.

Shashin

195 sec. exposure at f/5.6 and ISO400 under moonlight. The first non-diffused sunlight, all be it reflected, I have seen in days. The camera was simply manually focused to infinity--the LCD has no image, although the electronic level comes in handy.

barjohn

That shot is unreal. It looks more like it was taken in the early morning. I keep being amazed at the high ISO images and how clean they are. I'll post a few shortly.

Shashin

I find it will toggle modes no matter where the front switch is set.
Is it switching to MF in DMF and AF? That would make sense. Do you have your button set to "toggle" or "hold"?

John, I am not sure what the funny stuff is happening under the posts at GetDPI, but I can't click the like button (I am using Safari). Thank you for your comment on my image. I hope to try the RX1 on a tracking mount if the weather holds out.

barjohn

Here are a few shots from today. Some are family shots, my wife and our grandson and his mom (our daughter) and some are street shots.

Daughter and Grandson ISO500 f8, 1/80

Wife and Grandson ISO 2500, f8, 1/80

Grandson ISO 100, f2, 1/100

Nap Time, ISO 3200, f8, 1/80

Shopping ISO 3200 f8, 1/80

Street Cafe ISO 125, f8, 1/80

Wine & Cheese Cafe ISO 200, f8, 1/80