Site Sponsors
Page 16 of 28 FirstFirst ... 6 14 15 16 17 18 26 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the RX-1

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fun with the RX-1

Quote Originally Posted by biglouis View Post
    The backroads of Bethnal Green.

My main schtick is urban landscape - especially the grittier side of London. I've been searching for the 'ultimate' urban landscape camera since selling my M8 and associated lenses back last year. That was a great piece of kit but aged and temperamental. Since then I have used a SWC and other 500CM to good effect but in turn it has taken a toll on my spine which is soon to enter its sixth decade of service. So far the results with the RX-1 have been very promissing. The lens is an absolute gem - even if somewhat prone to barrel distortion and a bit of fringing. (Actually, at f2 the lens is freakin' amazing but these pictures were all shot at f8 or thereabouts).
    +1. Curiously the barrel distortion seems much greater when shooting closer - two shots, both at f 5.6. The closer one (picture) is not good, the other one further away. Anyone have another explanation?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Shot in 'native' format the lens shows strong barrelling, around 5% from memory. Sounds like a Samyang! After correction - either in-camera for jpegs or as a RAW file instruction ('half baked') included in its profile for use in the RC of your choice (LR, ACR etc.) it comes down to less than 2%. Actually many 35mm FL lenses struggle to beat 2%, the ZE/F 35mm f2 comes to mind, Leica's 35mm F2 Summicron-R also I believe. M lenses are easier to get right in this aberration in design.

This is more than acceptable, and is very common these days for even medium format cameras, as software distortion control impacts IQ less than what it would take to correct it in design. The RX1's rear element is very very close to its sensor...quite revolutionary in fact.

Expert opinion has it that in general less than 2% distortion is not noticeable. If you need to for special cases, you can dick around with it further in PS.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if this is barrel distortion, or just a badly made wall!

Worth pointing out that as I am still running Windows XP, I have not upgraded to LR4 and therefore I am using both the Sony RAW converter and I do not have access to any lens correction for the RX-1 if it exists in LR.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Liking auto-ISO. When on Aperture priority it seems to do a decent job of delivering a clean image. (ISO 4000 here)
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Jay,

I agree with you on the auto-ISO. I've moved from Aperture priority to Manual because I've seen the majority of my Aperture shots set to 1/80th a second. In Manual I bump this up to 1/100 or 1/125 and let auto-ISO take over. I feel the focal length needs a bit faster shutter than the default and I've not yet found a way to change the shutter speed in the auto ISO settings.

I hope to post a few shots today. I was on a two day vacation but ended up taking mostly snaps. In the midday sun. They're not very good.
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Leaving North Conway, NH

Wine and cheese

Post Thanks / Like

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Izzy:

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, lovely candid portraits.

LouisB

Senior Member The Smoking Camera's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

A few, mostly street, photos from New York with the Rx1.
    Hadn't used the camera in awhile and it took me a bit of time to warm up.
    Hope you enjoy these.

Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 19 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Joe,

I really like your photos. You are definitely a talented guy!
    V/r John

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks John. I really enjoy shooting in NY and that certainly helps.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by The Smoking Camera View Post
    Thanks John. I really enjoy shooting in NY and that certainly helps.
    Love the tongue action! 100% crop called for

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm not going to post the pics as it was a client job, but I took my RX1 with me on a shoot today, a shoot where I used my Nikon D3s as usual. But wow, the RX1 shots are better - well of course, there's double the pixels, but the IQ on this camera is remarkable - and funnily enough the client noticed in picking some of the RX1 shots as faves (without knowing the hardware in use when looking at the pics). If I didn't have such an investment in Nikon gear I'd be looking at that latest Alpha as my interchangeable lens camera.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Obviously it is not that pressing. Otherwise, you would have sold all the Nikon gear to go with the Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Emm View Post
    I'm not going to post the pics as it was a client job, but I took my RX1 with me on a shoot today, a shoot where I used my Nikon D3s as usual. But wow, the RX1 shots are better - well of course, there's double the pixels, but the IQ on this camera is remarkable - and funnily enough the client noticed in picking some of the RX1 shots as faves (without knowing the hardware in use when looking at the pics). If I didn't have such an investment in Nikon gear I'd be looking at that latest Alpha as my interchangeable lens camera.
    Jay:
    I am highly interested in comparisons of these two cameras (especially in low light situations). Could you say in general terms what type of shooting was involved and where each camera excelled or fell short?

Thanks,
    John

Post Thanks / Like

Afternoon all

I am very happy because I left Iraq on Wednesday and now back relaxing in my little place in Sweden. It's overcast and drizzly but I honestly couldn't care less!

Anyway, I just popped out with the RX1 to grab a couple of shots, I have just fitted the RRS grip and it is absolutely superb, the fit and finish are top notch.

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a quick B&W conversion, I'm really enjoying processing the RX1 files. There's a fairly busy background in this shot but to my eyes it is handled pretty well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jfirneno View Post
    Jay:
    I am highly interested in comparisons of these two cameras (especially in low light situations). Could you say in general terms what type of shooting was involved and where each camera excelled or fell short?

Thanks,
    John
    It was a pregnancy shoot, the final series were non flash as we moved near the windows - I grabbed the RX1 and opened up the aperture. Downside was the wide angle needs care with composition etc, but several of the shots were the couples faves. Not for a moment saying its better than my D3s, too many restrictions for my kind of work, but when you're not in a hurry - well the IQ was just beautiful and theres a lot of data for post production. Lots of factors at play, but I continue to be impressed with this sensor. It was reasonably low light, I see no issues up to ISO 6400 with either camera, but the Nikon will lock focus in a snap which makes it faster for my kind of work. Again, an unfair comparison as a one off test, and the Sony has twice the pixels, but what I am saying is this little camera is probably priced where it should be. It packs shocking power in a small package. Remarkable design and engineering skills from Sony.

Post Thanks / Like

Morning

I'll apologise in advance for posting too many images!

I live very close to a place called Storforsen in the North of Sweden, I think i read somewhere that it is the largest rapids in Europe and nobody has ever been down them, that could be complete rubbish but in any case, they are huge and extremely impressive.

I was up early this morning for a bit of a look, the mist from the falls looked great behind the trees.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

And a couple in b&w

Likes 8 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Enjoying this RX1--I am enjoying this camera more and more with each passing opportunity to shoot it...

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Three from last weekend's local Eastern Orthodox celebration of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Our "feast of feasts," this is the most important remembrance of the whole year. The first two photos are from the Midnight worship; the third from a morning service a few days later.
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like

Evening

Great night out, rain, black clouds, deafening sound from the falls. Managed to grab a couple of shots without getting drenched!

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's been a while since I have contributed to this thread, but I have been enjoying my RX-1 quiet a lot. Here are a few images from the last couple months. I guess you could say I have thing for trees.

Likes 22 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    ...I guess you could say I have thing for trees.

Me, too! Killer shots!

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, those are very eye-catching captures. I would not have immediately thought of the RX-1 as a landscape camera. The last one with the wind vane is classic and the sky is beautiful - not something I would normally associate with a digital capture (although I have also found the RX-1 has an astonishing dynamic range).

Joe, the flowers are wonderful. I have tried to use my RX-1 for flowers but so far have had nowhere near the success you have.

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thank you for the compliments Joe and Louis.

I now refer to my RX-1 as the "sketchbook" since it works so well in that regard. A friend and I recently did a week long photo trip where the RX-1 proved to be valuable as a sketchbook of sorts. Anytime we came across a scene with potential as we were driving the roads between shooting locations or scouting for new spots, I would jump out and take a quick shot. The RX-1's excellent image quality and high ISO capability meant that I could get a quick handheld photo of a scene in a matter of seconds. Then we would review the photos to determine if there was enough potential to setup the tripod, bring out the serious camera, filters, remote release, etc. Ironically, I ended up getting some keepers with the RX-1 plus it was very helpful in maximizing our time at better locations.

Since that trip, I have continued to use the RX-1 as a sketchbook. I have a small camera pouch (Lowepro Dashpoint 30) attached to the strap of my primary camera bag or backpack so that the RX-1 is readily available for a quick shot. This approach has been good at identifying scenes that I may have otherwise been too lazy to stop and take the time for a proper photograph. Sometimes it simply results in a snapshot and nothing more, but that can be fun too.

I have become so confident in the RX-1's capabilities that I recently took it on vacation as my only camera. My wife was shocked that I could actually go on a trip without my S2. Granted the trip was a family vacation instead of a photography trip, but that never stopped me before.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Great photos in this thread!

Cheers, Matt
    Zenfolio | Matt Driscoll
    Flickr | M_Driscoll
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Classic car impressions.
    Last edited by retow; 13th February 2014 at 23:34.

Post Thanks / Like

The A1 from "Suicide Bridge" in Highgate looking towards the City (of London).

-----

Post Thanks / Like

Mark - the trees are all excellent, wow!

I haven't had much time to shoot anything but the kids for the past several months, but should have some opportunity now. Picked up an RX1....love what I'm seeing so far. I need to find a better way of handling it (very uncomfortable), but as of now that's my only gripe

First, my other love

some from a quick walk-around

Ryan

http://www.soltiphotography.com
    Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

"Blue Kitchen, Camden Town" - really beginning to get into working with the RX-1.

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have not posted in a while. I was out in the garden this evening. It had been raining all day. The spring forest is just lovely. Rx-1, can't remember the lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Took the RX1 to Cambridge and had fun shooting there. Am beginning to trust the camera a bit more, although still a bit cautious about the distortion. Yes, LR4 (raw) will take out much of it, but its a bit evident still. I don't think its good. I've used a 50mm Schneider MF lens for shooting architectural drawings, and you can clean up the barrel distortion easily in C1 to get perfecgt line quality - can't do this with RX1/Zeiss, as its distortion is a mustache shape, and not easily corrected. But with LR4, its now acceptable. Other than that, lovely camera. Manual settings, auto ISO is the way to go!

The shot with reflections is trickier than it might appear - with lots of different light color and values.
    Geoff

www.gigi-photos.com

Post Thanks / Like

One more....original is quite sharp....
    Geoff

www.gigi-photos.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Geoff, I find the lens correction profile in ACR fine. Are you using that or manually adjusting for distortion?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Geoff, I find the lens correction profile in ACR fine. Are you using that or manually adjusting for distortion?
    I'm doing it with the built in for LR4. Its decent, just not really great for critical line work. For most images, its fine tho. I sometimes like to use the camera (while traveling) to shoot artwork or line drawings, and that's a pretty critical use.

You are right - the correction for RAW is better than the built-in jpg correction.

Post Thanks / Like

Evening all

Apparently it has been 3 days since anyone had fun with an RX1! I don't believe it!

Anyway, heres a quick shot grabbed this evening as I was driving about, I really like the light.

Mat

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

We are so busy having fun, we don't have time to post...

From today with a 9-stop Hoya ND filter.

Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From yesterday. Bowdoin College, Brunswick, ME.

Post Thanks / Like

One more. Fun in BW.
    Geoff

www.gigi-photos.com

Post Thanks / Like

Young ballerinas ready to perform at a recital.
    f/2 1/160sec iso1000.

Last edited by The Smoking Camera; 29th May 2013 at 17:11.
    Joe
    www.thesmokingcamera.com
    Likes 12 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Joe, smoking shot ^^.
    Kindest,
    Dave

http://www.xdayv.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

From today.

Post Thanks / Like

Happened to be out west.... thinking of Atget at 8 AM in an empty mall. Was told you can't photograph the buildings, as they are private property. Gee....
    Geoff

www.gigi-photos.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

RX-1 TIP OF THE DAY

This could also because I am slow, but the often published complaint that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/80s in P with Auto ISO is not true. You can set the shutter by simply using the shutter speed dial at the back of the camera. Essentially, in P with AutoISO, you are in a limited shutter priority mode.

But you probably already knew that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    RX-1 TIP OF THE DAY

This could also because I am slow, but the often published complaint that the shutter speed is fixed at 1/80s in P with Auto ISO is not true. You can set the shutter by simply using the shutter speed dial at the back of the camera. Essentially, in P with AutoISO, you are in a limited shutter priority mode.

But you probably already knew that...
    No! I didn't know that. I guess I am slower than you. Thank you for the tip. It will be much more convenient than switching over to shutter priority mode.