Site Sponsors
Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 8 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Fun with the RX-1

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Fun with the RX-1

Bill, you can change the language to English in the Setup (wrench) 4 tab, second option from the top. It should be something like 言語.

And welcome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shashin View Post
    Bill, you can change the language to English in the Setup (wrench) 4 tab, second option from the top. It should be something like 言語.

And welcome.
    Thanks, but unfortunately Sony disables the language selection menu in all cameras they sell in Japan. Panasonic does the same. I can read enough Japanese to muddle through, but I wish they'd stop that stupid practice.

Bill

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ask Sony if you can update to the US firmware. Explain that you are a resident in Japan. They may do it for you.

Post Thanks / Like

Shashin

Interesting motion shot there, I had to go for a meeting the other week, last minute thing which involved speeding through the Mozambique bush, I took the camera anyway and got chance to experiment a bit with shutter speeds and ISO whilst trying to freeze motion.

The following are all at 1/2000th I was messing about with aperture and got down to f16 with these and the resulting ISO's are up around the higher end of what I would use, 6400 as a maximum. Hardly giving the camera a chance!

I wasn't expecting much but I'm quite impressed with the results, to say we were going pretty fast on bumpy roads!

Mat
    http://matrichardson.com/
    Likes 4 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Mat, I am really enjoying the work you are doing with the RX-1. Actually, the camera is not important. Taking pictures from a moving vehicle is not ideal, but it is better than not taking pictures from a moving vehicle. And with luck and practice...

I took a different approach, aperture priority at f/22 (it is not like I need to worry about loss of sharpness through diffraction) and ISO 100. I panned the camera with motion. Naturally, lots of things that don't work, but some are interesting. If you are going to take a bad picture, at least make it interesting.

Post Thanks / Like

If you are going to take a bad picture, at least make it interesting.
    You just did in that last pic of yours.
    Kindest,
    Dave

http://www.xdayv.com
    Likes 1 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Fun with my RX-1 but not much fun for our cat in the heatwave here in the UK. We open the doors at the front and back of the house and she lays in the cross-breeze.

-----
    My new book "Whitechapel in 50 BUildings", Flikr Stream, www.louisberk.com
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Landscapes with the RX-1

-----
    Likes 13 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

picked up a rx1 this past friday from a fellow forum member, here are a few of my first pics with it:

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Arras, Place des Héros, France - taken from the Hôtel de Ville.

-----
    Likes 9 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Playing around with higher ISO's (for me), these around the 5000 mark while running auto ISO - which I cap at 6400.
    Likes 2 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No right turn...

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com
    Likes 3 Member(s) liked this post

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I just poured off this year's batch of hard cider. Six and a half gallons. This is using a traditional New England barrel cider recipe, which uses just sugar and raisins for fermentation, although using honey instead of sugar is much nicer. No preservatives. I am still having trouble getting the alcohol content below 10%. Still, this should last the year.

Will

http://www.hakusancreation.com

Post Thanks / Like

"Les Francais sont trés mechant" (the French people are very wicked)

POZIERS, PAS DE CALAIS, JULY 2013: This lovely old French lady talked to us about the collection of war materiel she and her husband had collected from the fields surrounding Poziers on the Somme. In her hand is a particularly lethal French rifle round from the first world war, which is manufactured to a fine point. She joked with us that only the French could create such a 'wicked' item.

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Great images, Louis, Will, Jay, MJR, etc...I moved from the RX1 to the RX1R for the extra resolving capacity. I am enjoying the results so far....

Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography
    Likes 5 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, congratulations on the upgrade to the RX-1R. I would like to do the upgrade myself, but haven't been able to talk my self into it - yet. I would like to hear more about your thoughts on the upgrade with regards to IQ.

Post Thanks / Like

A shot from the bus stop.

Bill

Likes 6 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Hi guys!
    I am new here, this is my first post!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Gowin View Post
    Ashwin, congratulations on the upgrade to the RX-1R. I would like to do the upgrade myself, but haven't been able to talk my self into it - yet. I would like to hear more about your thoughts on the upgrade with regards to IQ.
    Ditto -- was this close to finally taking the plunge on the RX1 and Sony releases the RX1r .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Mark and JCT. I have really enjoyed the upgrade of the RX1 to the RX1R. I had a few comments:

1. The camera performance is improved, moreso at low ISO, where razor sharp detail is retained, than at higher ISO. I'd say for the pixel peepers (me included), about a 10% to 15% improvement in pixel level detail. This won't likely be noticeable in prints, other than at full size, or if you like to do a bunch of cropping.

2. I lost a fair bit of money in the trade. RX1's go for around $2100 used, so you can do the math. That may be a strong deterrant, especially when there's not a huge difference macroscopically.

3. I am in IQ nut, and I love sharp, detailed images without any mushiness. The RX1 delivers this in spades, and images have even more 3D pop. IQ is basically the same, just seems to jump off the page more

4. The camera seems otherwise the same....

5. Raw files are not recognized by LR4 (same ARW files, but something's different), so I had to upgrade to LR5 (and also had to upgrade my OS on my Mac to handle LR5)....so a bit of work there

6. For you detail freaks, this is the camera to have. I believe that the RX1R produces some of the best, sharpest, most resilient files out there. I haven't come accross moire yet, and now the files have 24 MP of great color, detail, and dynamic range. I have shot the Leica M a few times, and I prefer the RX1R files to the M files for better color and more DR....noise character seems a bit different and uniform on the M, a bit more chaotic at high ISO on the RX1R, but the files don't break apart like they do on the M with a bunch of raising shadows....

It's a winner...so if you can afford it and pixel peep, it's probably worth the upgrade. Otherwise, I'd take the pass and maybe wait for the full from RX interchangeable system, which I am guessing will arrive soon....with the same sensor (hopefully the RX1R's version)...could be awesome if Sony does it right....
    Ashwin Rao
    Seattle, WA
    My Photography

Post Thanks / Like

Hi everyone. I am new to this thread. I have had an RX1 for about three days but I have been looking and debating for months. I have seen a lot of shallow depth of field but I was interested to look at a file with a wide depth of field. I am pretty pleased with the results.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, thank you for the information. You make the RX-1R sound very tempting.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, since you are a pixel peeper, the pixel pitch of the RX1/RX1R is exactly the same as the Pentax 645D. It looks like an interesting comparison if you have a Pentax 35mm lens...

I have never notice moire with my 645D and that does not have an AA filter either. I would imagine the RX1R will not be anymore sensitive to moire, unless the lens is really too sharp, but I don't think so. Personally, I am not worried about the difference. I don't find the AA on the RX1 not to be very strong and if the difference is like the D800/D800E, then I imagine the RX1 image will sharpen to be very close to the RX1R.

If I were buying today, then I would find the choice easy. Damn the torpedoes, and have Dinner with Moire.
    Last edited by Shashin; 3rd August 2013 at 10:16.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks a million, Ashwin -- was leaning towards the Rx1r and your report gave me the final "push". Now to collect the rest of the scratch...

Also wanted to comment on how your fine portraiture with the Rx1 helped me finally decide to get one, was originally concerned about "too much" sharpness.

jct

Post Thanks / Like

Since owning the RX-1 I have had to use the less than desirable Sony RAW processing software but this week I upgrade my PC to Win7 and upgraded to LR5, so I can process within LR.

The difference is worth it, imho - the fidelity of my images has improved. On top of that I also installed a trial of the NIK software suite - which is at a good price, also imho.

This is processed in LR5 and the Nik b&W plug-in.

Last edited by biglouis; 4th August 2013 at 04:17.
    -----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ashwin, since you are a pixel peeper, the pixel pitch of the RX1/RX1R is exactly the same as the Pentax 645D. It looks like an interesting comparison if you have a Pentax 35mm lens...

I have never notice moire with my 645D and that does not have an AA filter either. I would imagine the RX1R will not be anymore sensitive to moire, unless the lens is really too sharp, but I don't think so. Personally, I am not worried about the difference. I don't find the AA on the RX1 not to be very strong and if the difference is like the D800/D800E, then I imagine the RX1 image will sharpen to be very close to the RX1R.

If I were buying today, then I would find the choice easy. Damn the torpedoes, and have Dinner with Moire.
    I'd be the opposite. I've spent probably too much time looking at comparisons between the two cameras, and it seems that the AA filter on the RX1 was already so good and light (they brag about it a bit on the Sony Japan site) that the difference between the RX1 and RX1R is even less than between the D800 and D800E. When you adjust the sharpening of the RX1 a bit, it is really, really close, and I have seen more moire in some RX1R images. I honestly think that, if maximizing your settings for each camera, it would be tough to tell them apart at any size or in print.

Of course, the real advantage of removing the AA filter with this pixel size would be to improve the corner resolution in relation to the center, which is partly why Leica's and MFDB have always been AA-less, but that doesn't seem to apply to the RX1/RX1R either, from the mtf tests I've seen, so there's really not a whole lot of reason for it.

If buying new today, I'd still choose the RX1.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, I really don't think it matters--I am in no way disappoint with the RX1 and I am keeping my camera for a very long time. Naturally, I have simply been basing this on my use of the Pentax 645D which has the same pixel pitch and no AA filter. I have not had and problems with moire, but I have not had the RX1 lens on it either. Actually, I think the lens is the real story with the RX1.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually, I think the lens is the real story with the RX1.
    I would agree with this wholeheartedly.

In the end, I ordered mine (yippee) solely based on price - got the Rx1R for $280 cheaper ($2519) thanks to an EDU discount at Sony. Interestingly, the 10% discount was not offered for the Rx1.

Looking forward to it.

JT

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Douglas, I really don't think it matters--I am in no way disappoint with the RX1 and I am keeping my camera for a very long time. Naturally, I have simply been basing this on my use of the Pentax 645D which has the same pixel pitch and no AA filter. I have not had and problems with moire, but I have not had the RX1 lens on it either. Actually, I think the lens is the real story with the RX1.
    Agreed. The lens is really something, especially for a wide.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JCT View Post
    I would agree with this wholeheartedly.

In the end, I ordered mine (yippee) solely based on price - got the Rx1R for $280 cheaper ($2519) thanks to an EDU discount at Sony. Interestingly, the 10% discount was not offered for the Rx1.

Looking forward to it.

JT
    Ah, that's a different story altogether. If it were cheaper, I'd certainly go RX1R. Considering that AA filters are a bit pricey, especially good ones, it should be cheaper, anyways.

I got my RX1 at Amazon Warehouse for $2165, so I don't have the price motivation.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's an OOC jpeg from the RX1R taken in pretty poor light.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
    Ah, that's a different story altogether. If it were cheaper, I'd certainly go RX1R. Considering that AA filters are a bit pricey, especially good ones, it should be cheaper, anyways.

I got my RX1 at Amazon Warehouse for $2165, so I don't have the price motivation.
    And with just my luck -- Sony, after changing my ship date twice now is unsure when they will get more of the Rx1R - listing a 9/05 ship date now.

Time to see what kind of a grownup I am - if I were 100% convinced that the lack of the filter was a significant advantage I would just wait.

Sigh.

Post Thanks / Like

And with just my luck -- Sony, after changing my ship date twice now is unsure when they will get more of the Rx1R - listing a 9/05 ship date now.

Time to see what kind of a grownup I am - if I were 100% convinced that the lack of the filter was a significant advantage I would just wait.

Sigh.
    To add my two cents - I have just switched from an PC running XP to one running Windows 7 and at last been able to upgrade from LR3.6 to LR5 - which supports the RX1 native raw file. I am staggered at how much more sharper my captures are now versus the old route of using Image Converter and importing TIFFs.

Not to troll other posters who have the RX1R but I just cannot see how much more the images in my camera could be sharper than the currently are.

My benchmark for sharpness is my DP2M which is sharp right down to 100% crop. Before I upgraded to W7/LR5 I was disappointed with the sharpness of the RX1 compared with the DP2M. Now, after upgrading, it more than holds its own.

See original and crop taken with the RX1, how much sharper do you want to be?

f8 iso640 1/320

100% crop to the right.

100% crop centre
    -----

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

biglouis- I completely agree!

After thinking it over yesterday I called Sony to cancel and figured I would just order an Rx1 from B&H. When I told the Sony guy that it made more sense for me to just order an Rx1 somewhere else instead of waiting indefinitely for an Rx1R he all of a sudden was able to give me a ship date of 8/12.

So if the Rx1R doesn't ship on the 12th - an Rx1 it is!

And thanks for the heads up on LR5, I hadn't ungraded yet.

Hopefully I will finally have an Rx-something in my hands next week...

Post Thanks / Like

biglouis- I completely agree!

After thinking it over yesterday I called Sony to cancel and figured I would just order an Rx1 from B&H. When I told the Sony guy that it made more sense for me to just order an Rx1 somewhere else instead of waiting indefinitely for an Rx1R he all of a sudden was able to give me a ship date of 8/12.

So if the Rx1R doesn't ship on the 12th - an Rx1 it is!

And thanks for the heads up on LR5, I hadn't ungraded yet.

Hopefully I will finally have an Rx-something in my hands next week...
    JCT

Given the choice, if indeed it does ship next week, then of course it makes sense.

Look forward to seeing your shots.

If Sony are having problems shipping the RX1R maybe that portends something else coming down the pike? We live in hope of an interchangeable RX!

LouisB

Post Thanks / Like

Evening all

I finally got out with the RX1 again this evening, grabbed a few quick shots. The good thing about being in the North of Sweden is that the sunsets last ages, that and the Swedish girls of course!

Today I am also excited as I booked a couple of weeks in Iceland early September, my brother lives there so will be exploring the island, I'm considering travelling light and just taking the RX1, might not be able to resist taking the Alpa though, will see.

Post Thanks / Like

Here's another, not so happy with this one, it's probably my processing more than the file, I'll probably have another go at shooting this tomorrow if the weather plays along.

Last edited by mjr; 11th August 2013 at 14:59. Reason: Playing with editing!
    Likes 10 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Mat, they both look really good, to me! ^^^
    Last edited by biglouis; 12th August 2013 at 13:47.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Louis! I can see what I want from the second image but I haven't quite got it yet, I shall have another go I'm sure.

It amazes me how good this camera is, so many great shots on this thread!

Mat

Post Thanks / Like

Ripening Wheat - somewhere in Buckinghamshire

-----

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mjr View Post
    The good thing about being in the North of Sweden is that the sunsets last ages, that and the Swedish girls of course!
    It is probably that good food and clean air that contributes to the longevity. But don't the boys last ages too?

Post Thanks / Like

Good point Will, the male of the species does indeed last a long time too, luckily they are mostly out chopping down trees so it always appears that there are lots of lovely ladies around!

Post Thanks / Like

Evening

So, I popped out this evening to try and do a better job of the last picture I posted, I think these may be slightly more successful but to be honest they are all of the same type of thing so may be a bit much. It is truly amazing what raising the shadows can do on these files, I'm hoping I haven't gone to far and ruined the light.

Anyway, here's tonights effort.

Likes 7 Member(s) liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

A major benefit of the RX1 is portability (obviously). It allows me to capture images in lovely detail on my meanderings around the less salubrious but much more interesting areas of the east end of London.

Wedding Arch, Bethnal Green.

-----

Post Thanks / Like

As a contrast to Louis' day, a grey day in the North of Sweden. I even love the miserable days here!

Post Thanks / Like

Mat, fantastic composition and lovely tones in that landscape shot!

LouisB
    -----

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is my 1st post. There are lots of great images here!

16th Street Mall, Downtown Denver, CO

Have a great weekend!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote, welcome to the club. Getting tired of carrying the big cameras? ;-)

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Pramote, welcome to the club. Getting tired of carrying the big cameras? ;-)
    Thanks Will!
    Actually, this is a big camera in a small package!
    I started off with street photography, I am finally home with this camera.
    Pramote

Post Thanks / Like

Indeed, welcome Pramote, I was wondering when you'd get here! Enjoy this little camera, it's superb.

Tonight I scaled down the landscapes and took a few closer shots, the birch leaves are beginning to drop here, soon we will have winter!

Anyway, I took 2 shots and converted them to B&W as well, I think I may prefer the conversions.